1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

car-shaped leaf symbol

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priitis, Mar 22, 2004.

1. priitis

priitis New Member

I couldn't find any previous posts about this... what is the origin of this symbol which some of us use for our avatar? I know it's the symbol the Prius uses to measure the re-generated energy on the consumption screen, & it's on some of the floor mats (not mine though :( ).

I was wondering if maybe it's a general Toyota hybrid symbol that isn't going to be specific to the Prius. I have been thinking about trying to get a t-shirt made with that symbol on the front, and/or putting it on a novelty plate (since my state doesn't require a front license & there is a plate holder on the front of my Prius).

Does anyone know if the symbol is copyrighted/off limits/found somewhere in a better-resolution image file?

I love the car leaf! :mrgreen:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm,
    Wouldn't be suprised if they've copyrighted/trademarked it, but I can't say I've ever seen one of the symbols by it saying that it is.

I don't think anyone would give you grief for making a T-shirt with that on it...if you started selling them for a profit then that might stir up a little angst.

I don't think there's a big story behind it's origins...they used the leaf to represent 'green'/environment and the car shape to represent the Prius.... Anyone know anything different?

3. priitis

priitis New Member

Thanks Evan! Do you know if the symbol was used for the first generation Prius as well? I am curious as to whether it will be used only as a Prius symbol, or whether it will be used to represent their other hybrids (when they come out). I find it surprising that Toyota hasn't already issued it on a sticker, keychain, t-shirt (or anything else that I know of) since it's such a representation of the car being ecological.

I did get the symbolism of the green/environment re the leaf. That's why I like it; it's a simple image that expresses something very positive.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 1st generation used a little sun symbol for the regen markers. AFAIK this was introduced with the 2nd gen. Prius. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether this will be used on the coming hybrids or not.

5. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
  6. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

Great Link!

Hey, is it me or did I miss the 2002 'milestone' of a FCHV launched in the US?

7. macman

macman New Member

Speaking of leaf symbol, my Toyota factory floormats say Prius but do not have the leaf symbol. On the Toyota website the symbol is shown on the floormats. I paid $180 for these. Did my Dealer substitute an aftermarket brand on me?

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, some have the symbol, some don't, mine don't either and when someone brings it up, like you just did, I get very very sad inside..... :(

I don't know why there are two versions, would really like the leaf thing, but, it isn't all that important. Maybe the non-leaf version will be collectible some day?
    --evan

9. priitis

priitis New Member

I had been wondering if only the tan mats had the leaf symbol, since in Toyota's picture the mat is a tan one. But Evan I guess your mats would be tan? with a Seaside Pearl. I don't have the leaf on my mats :( but I had thought maybe it didn't show up well enough for them to use it on the gray. Maybe in their rush to get more cars out they have been trying to simplify things!

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, Toyotapartsstore.com has them in gray with the leaf/car.

11. priitis

priitis New Member

That's the picture I had seen; I guess they do look like they could be gray.. probably it's obviously gray, if you have seen

12. priitis

priitis New Member

(aaack! I am being censored!)

13. priitis

priitis New Member

not sure what I'm doing wrong here but I promise it wasn't anything obscene! it's not letting me post the rest of my message....

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Weird, we don't have any censors on the board anyway. Perhaps there was an issue with the SQL database there for a few minutes.

15. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My grey Prius mats have no leaf on them....:(
    They came with the car...in Feb.

16. priitis

priitis New Member

I didn't think you would really be censoring me Danny :lol:
    especially since my post was benign!
    but it was weird, it kept cutting my post off at the same place :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: