1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car Starts But Won't Go

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hilltopper, Jan 4, 2013.

1. hilltopper

hilltopper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    About once a week our 2011 Prius will start, but the "Ready" indicator does not come on and the car cannot be shifted into drive. Once this happens it takes several attempts, turning the car on/off, until it finally comes on "Ready." I cannot create the problem, but it may stem from pushing the start button before the brake is fully depressed. Last night it took more than 5 minutes to get it going. I "reset" the car by exiting, locking, and reentering the car. Then it worked, though I have no idea if that procedure caused it to work. Dealer had no ideas when I took it in a month ago. The dealer is far away too, so looking for ideas here.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The next time this happens, see if you can see your brake light reflections when you step on the brake and before you press the Power button. If you cannot see the brake lights then you either are not pressing the brake pedal hard enough or you may have a switch that needs adjustment.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    +1
    I'm wondering if it's possible that there's something with the brake system that's not indicating that you have the brake pressed in. Which leads me to a more serious potential problem...

Have you noticed any difference in the brake during normal operations?
    (I'm praying it's only a "during startup" thing but it's worth asking)

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    check the 12v battery.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. OP: Do you have a multimeter/volt-ohm meter w/which to check its voltage after the car has sat overnight?

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it is the brake switch/wiring, the Power button LED would remain red and not green. That is something to check for when it happens again. Does it enter into the ACC mode if it doesn't go to Ready?

7. hilltopper

hilltopper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the replies. Actually, the problem has always been after the car was parked away from home, sometimes just briefly on errands- not after overnight in the garage, so I don't think its the 12v battery. Now it hasn't happened in a couple days...

8. 808PriusGirl

808PriusGirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've been having the same problem but all the lights on the dash come on. I have to press the Power button several times before it will start. It seems to do better after I have been driving it around so I don't know if it is the 12V battery. I'm a new Prius owner so I don't know if I'm just not doing something right or if there is a problem.

9. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Checking battery voltage is not good practice to know health of the battery....
    He needs load test the battery

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Still, checking the battery voltage will give you some insight.

FWIW I've got both a multimeter and a Solar BA5 (digital load tester). The multimeter test of voltage, while not as conclusive, is still a good quick-check. To use the Solar I need to dig down to the battery (not as accesible on 3rd gen), and ensure clamps are directly on the posts.

Raytheeagle likes this.