1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car still running?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Baby B, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Baby B

Baby B Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Newbie here. Is there a warning or alert that lets you know that the car is still running while in park and unoccupied. The car is so quiet when the ICE is not running,but the ignition is still on. I have the smart key,push button model C. Just trying to avoid the old "dumbass left his car running in closed garage and went to sleep forever"headline. Thanks.

2. JarOfAlmonds

JarOfAlmonds Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I've fallen victim to that before and thankfully I've found out (and you will too through time) that the Prius C will make all sorts of noises when you forget to turn something off. Both leaving the lights on and having the engine running will emit a steady loud *BEEEEEEEEEEEP* once the smart key leaves the interior of the car and the door is open.

I'm not sure what happens if you close the door while the smart key is outside the car... maybe someone else can pipe in on that, and if the beep stops.

3. Baby B

Baby B Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hello J O A. Yesterday i backed car out of garage so i could access something,then i pulled car back in, and stepped out of car,but did not shut down engine(start button) and had the key in my pocket and door closed. I did here 3 beeps,but thats about it. I know the dashboard shows warning flashes and the control panels are still lit,but other than that there is complete silence.

4. AliIzad

AliIzad Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Baby B,
    The car will definitely warn you by beeping if you leave the car on and step out with your smart key in your pocket. Now, if you leave your smart key in the car, step out, close the door, and try to lock the door via the touch sensor on the door handle, the car will beep and not let you lock the door. Bottom line, Toyota has done a real good job of trying to fool proof the car from accidental lock-outs. If I must leave my car on and run into the house or do something else real quick, I just leave the key in the car.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny.
    It must work differently in the adult-sized Prius.

I regularly walk away from my car with the door closed and the car booted up.....and I don't get beeped at.
    Since Toyota won't let me lock the car while it's booted up with the remote, I used to lock it with the keylet, but I've since given that up for lent.

It may work differently in the Priussy, or Toyota may have tinkered with the SKS design in the four years since I started driving the G3.
    I've already been lectured by busybodies about leaving the car unlocked and booted up, and since It's a business mount and I have some technical reasons for operating it like I do, and since I don't live in a demilitarized zone, I'll just continue thank you very much.

The point of my response is that in MY car, you can indeed walk away from it with the door closed, the car booted up, and not get nagged by your car for doing so. (SEE BELOW)

Whether you have a C, V, v, II, G2 or whatever, the best practice is to mash the power button.....observe the car power down...leave the car.....(you can leave the lights on in a 2010 G3 since this model isn't sophisticated enough to have automatic headlamps)....and lock the car with the remote, listening for the "beep-beep" acknowledgement.

Just make sure that whatever you do for YOUR car works for YOU.

Good Luck!

EDIT: I don't like to bum dope people, and so I just walked outside and booted Goofy up and moved him three feet, walking back inside my office with the fob after closing the door.
    I did get three short "HEY! Where are you going???" beeps.

I hear them 10 times a day, so I've long since ignored them.
    I get two short beeps when I lock the car with the remote, and a louder "HEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYY!" long single beep when I try to lock the car with the ignition switch turned on.

So...
    That's the deal with the 2010 G3.

.....YMMV! :)

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dumbass is a universal condition for the human animal.

Get two Carbon Monoxide detectors (a hull and a backup) and try to remember to turn your car off.

Darwin was right about a few things..... :)

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have my v programmed to turn off the lights as soon as I open the driver's door when the car is off. I do not think the c has that feature, but I find it to be very reliable to remind me I am an idiot.

8. HotDogWater

HotDogWater Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    like others have said, you should get 3 beeps when you exit the car and close the door with the key in your pocket.
    i noticed after a few minutes i got a long beep as well.

9. Baby B

Baby B Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone for the advice and insight.

10. Snowball

Snowball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It will make 3 short beeps if you leave the car running and take the keys with you. I hear this everyday because I have to get out of my car to unlock the gate for my parking.