1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car vibration at freeway speeds with minor acceleration

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Amy50421, Sep 11, 2024 at 11:13 PM.

1. Amy50421

Amy50421 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2013 prius v. For a bit now it's done a thing where it shudders on occasion (almost like a gear switching on a different kind of car) but this week it started shaking, mostly on the passenger side but under me a bit too. It's usually when am barely tapping the gas and for a few seconds after I let off gas, no gas no vibration, more gas no vibration.

There are no sounds on turning either direction. My tire tread has outside wear and alignment could use looking at.

While troubleshooting I came across a video about the coolant hose shaking and sure enough mine was very loose in it's bracket so I zip tied. Since doing so there is no vibration at in town speeds and at freeway speeds the frequency has decreased significantly but it's still there.

Are there any other things I should check to see if they are loose? Is it maybe moving and rubbing just enough that even with zipties it will continue?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First you want to roll down the windows and listen for noises as you drive.

Second is to check the engine coolant reservoir on the passenger side of the engine. Make sure it’s not low which usually means blown head gasket.

Third thing to do is to have a front end shop look at the suspension and cv axles and drive it. Most mechanics can tell by driving and listening where the problem is on your car.