1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car Wash Excitement...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RadGash, Mar 14, 2005.

1. RadGash

RadGash New Member

Anyone experience the chatter the car makes when handwashing the car with the FOB in your pocket? Apparently the water acts as a conductor and as the water hits the car it repeatedly unlocks, locks, and does who knows what... just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep, I have too.

Poke the SKS disable button under the steering column, then wash the car. Once you're done and it's dried off, enable the SKS again.

3. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Thanks for the great tip! I just bathed my baby yesterday and had this happen. Turning off the SKS temporarily never occured to me, duh!

Take care,

Tisza

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

It's not the water, it's a combination of your moving around, and the timeouts programmed into the lock/unlock logic.

5. RadGash

RadGash New Member

Thanks to all for the responses!

R.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just walking around the car shouldn't cause the power door locks to cycle. You have to touch the inside of either front door handle to unlock the door, and you have to touch the black button to lock.

Of course, with a wash mitt you're going to be touching the inside of the door handle anyway. The first time this happened I opened the door, poked the SKS disable under the steering column, and never had that issue again.

I think the manual also mentions if you go through a rainstorm or a car wash the SKS may not operate properly.

7. RadGash

RadGash New Member

rainstorm... now that is somehting I hadn't thought of...

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    rain storm? do you sleep next to your car? hehe

I've had this happen. kinda funny for the first little bit. it's like a bird taking a bath.. chirping.. she likes it :)

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, I've never had it happen to me. I wash with the doors unlocked though. Is this why?

10. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    <wistfully> I used to hand wash my '04 a couple times a week.

<sigh> I've NEVER hand washed my '05... it's kinda tough when the garden hose is frozen solid and has been since November.

<best Napoleon Dynamite voice> you've got warm weather, decent winter mileage, lucky...

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Per the 2005 Owner’s Manual, Page 31:

“If a large amount of water is applied to the outside door handle . . . during heavy rain or car wash, and . . . smart key is near . . . the door(s) might be unlocked. However, if the outside front door handle is not pulled . . . the doors will lock automatically after about 30 seconds.â€

My Salsa baby chirps in delight too.

12. geckoboi78

geckoboi78 New Member

Actually, you don't have to touch the inside of the handle to activate the locks, just sliding your hand between the car and the inside of the handle will work. With that being said, if enough water was passing through this same space, it would make sense that it would unlock the doors. And of course they will then auto-lock if no door is opened. :D