1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car Wash Paranoia

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by innov8v, Jun 22, 2005.

1. innov8v

innov8v New Member

I'm getting my new Prius tinted in a couple of days and have been told to avoid using ammonia-based cleaning products (e.g. Windex) on the windows once that's done. For those who've had their windows tinted, has this been a problem at the car wash? Any idea what kind of glass-cleaning stuff they normally use? I'm nervous enough at the thought of letting them even try to drive the car...now I have one more thing to worry about. :(

2. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

Most repitable car wash places use a non-Amonia based cleaner. Simply put, it's to much of a liability issue for them to use Amonia because it can interact negatively with a lot of different materials.

Best thing to specifically ask the ccar wash when you pull in.

It's absolutely correct that you should never use an amonia based cleaner on window tint or any type of vinly (e.g. stickers, decals, or in my case flames). Depending on the tint, the amonia would probably cause your tint to turn purple, peal off or buble.

--GD

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is Ammonia-Free Windex =)

4. ReneGS

ReneGS New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(innov8v\";p=\"100625)</div>
    Wash your own car and you wont have to worry about it. :D

Sorry Im just not a big fan of trusting other people to wash my car. Do places even wash the inside of your windows?

5. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you are are referring to Multi-Task Windex with Vinegar, it still contains alcohol which should not be used for Huper Optik Ceramic window film.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm with wash your own.

No matter how many times you tell them you have tinted windows and don't wash them, don't use ammonia, yadda yadda, they will wreck your car and then claim it was that way when you brought it in.

I just won a judgement against the Kwik n Kleen carwash on Genesee Ave in San Diego. My leather seats were soaking wet when I picked my old car up (right after I bought my Prius and was getting ready to list it for sale) and they all puckered and split.

They were "We only wiped them down." "Maybe they were that way when you brought it in". "The car is old, we'll buy you a seat cover."

I won but I've yet to see a penny of the judgement. I'll probably have to put a lien on the place or do a search to garnish the wages of the owners.

If you absolutely can't wash your own car, pay what you have to to find a really good carwash that you can trust with your car. You've invested a lot of money in tint. They can ruin it in a matter of minutes.

7. NCPriusGrl

NCPriusGrl New Member

I have this cleaner called Liquid Glass that I use on the tint inside my car. It works great on mirrors and all of the glass too. You can get it even at Target and it was the best window cleaner purchase I have ever made. I am not one for having someone else clean my car, so I take it to the car wash just about every weekend and totally detail it myself.