1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

car wash ..... what brand products do you recommend

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sea-horsea, Sep 15, 2007.

1. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

I was at the auto store trying to buy car wash stuff like shampoo....wax....window cleaning..blah blah blah..you know the whole package kind of stuff for my new prius and I got lost in the many brands and all the "goodies" and how great it is....

so which brand should I get? anyone recommended anything? I noticed that my new black prius somehow has more static or something...it attracts more dust than my black E320...and they parked side by side in the garage and I can tell that my prius gets dusty faster than my E320...could it be because the car is new??

anyways any brand you recommend due to personal experiences? thank you

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sea-horsea @ Sep 15 2007, 01:33 AM) [snapback]512916[/snapback]</div>

I use Meguiar's, which is available in the auto store. But not all auto stores carry the full selection of products I use so I'll order online.

Many hear swear by Zaino. It's more expensive and you also have to order it online.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use Mother's waxing products (pre-wax, sealant & glaze, pure carnuba). I do have a cleaner wax for those days that I'm too lazy to apply the glaze and then pure carnuba.

As for the carwash, I just use some regular car wash soap (Sundance if you want to know).

Over at ClubLexus (.com), there's a bunch of people who tried "Optimum No Rinse" and seem to get good results. It's great if you want to save water or you're in an area with water restrictions or simply don't have access to a hose.

I would visit the detailing forum of other car sites for more info. They tend to have more hardcore enthusiasts.

4. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use a small amount of car wash made by Turtle Wax. Works fine. But I travel about 400 miles per week through Texas hill country and grasshoppers and seasonal butterfly swarms cover the car. By the time the weekend comes for a car wash the bugs are dried on like glue. Spraying the dried bugs with Simple Green and letting soak for 5 minutes makes the bugs come off with a simple wipe, including the really tenacious ones on the front license plate. Many of the dried bugs just fall off during the 5-minute soak. This stuff works much better than branded car bug removers I've tried.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  6. dsharp88

dsharp88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sea-horsea @ Sep 15 2007, 01:33 AM) [snapback]512916[/snapback]</div>
    The brands don't matter as the basic consumer products are mostly the same in any major brand (i.e. Meguire's, Mother's, Turtle Wax, etc.). They all have a car wash, a wax system, and a synthetic polymer system. You can mix and match among the brands. Among the wax system you have 2 avenues to go - easier (1 step cleaner/wax) or more difficult (optional cleaner/compound, then optional polisher, then wax). The second system is better, but obviously takes longer with the optional steps. The synthetics generally have one or two steps.

Anything with a cleaner will remove whatever is left of the previous application. This may or may not be a good thing as you can multi-layer wax for more protection. It also depends on how bad the finish is on the car. If it's real bad, use a clay bar to clean, then begin. If it's just sort of neglected, go with the cleaner/compound individual product. If it's average or not so bad you can use the cleaner/wax combo, and if it's still pretty good, just a gentle wash (that cleans but doesn't wash away the previous wax application) and a new wax will do.

I find the synthetic route gives more reflectivity, but I don't think it is as thick on the metal so I believe wax gives more protection and a "deeper" shine. On the other hand, the synthetic will last longer especially in summer months when I believe the wax layer can literally melt away when a strong storm pours during the heat of the day.

Toyota protects its new cars with a synthetic, and you may have gotten a bottle of synthetic cleaner/sealant with the new car.

If you're into spending time taking care of your baby, I'd go with the longer wax route. Be sure to use a car wash that is made for washing cars, even down to whether it's a regular wash product or a synthetic one which will be careful not to wash away the previous top layer. Do not use dishwashing liquid to wash a car because the pH is wrong.

7. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I like all these products a lot
    car wash - Rain X high foam w/ carnuba wax beads ($1.99)
    Wax - Meguires nxt high tech wax ($15) **highly recommended Easiest wax I have ever used to rub off (even in the sun)
    Tires - Armor All tire foam spray ($2)
    Dash - Turtle wax F-21 ($3)
    Micro Fiber car wash sponge ($5)
    7 Pack of Micro fiber towels ($8)

I use 2 seperate micro fiber towels to dry, I use 2 seperate ones to remove the wax, I have one for the wiping the dash (wont scratch the face of the radio), and the older ones get demoted to wheel spoke duty.

I haven't found anything great for the interior carpets or seats yet. If anyone has suggestions.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wash: meguiar's gold class
    sponge: microfiber from target
    dry: the absorber/aqua dry/some knockoff of such
    wax: zaino z2 and z5 (on black car)
    clay: for light duty/car under say 18 years old and clayed on a regular basis meguiar's clay and quik detailer (not so good for cleaning up after neglected old car)
    dash and black plastic trim: mothers back to black
    glass: stoner invisible glass
    screen and other delicate things: damp cloth

the prius needs a good wash. i've been neglecting it in favor of finishing the lexus, and now that that's done it's time to baby the prius again :)

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Sep 15 2007, 10:21 PM) [snapback]513186[/snapback]</div>
    Have you tried Meguiar's NXT glass cleaner? It is awesome and smells heavenly.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 15 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]513188[/snapback]</div>
    How does that work on the mudguards and rear skirt? I think those are the only ones that need the spray right? (the B pillar and windshield base seem ok and I wax the washer nozzles).

11. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 15 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]513189[/snapback]</div>
    I'll have to give that a try. I have been using armor all glass wipes and have been mostly disappointed with them.

12. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Had my 07 done with Xzilon at the dealership where I purchased it. It is pretty expensive (around $350) to have it applied professionally. The good points are I can pretty much use any kind of car wash including dish soap. Makes it pretty cheap to clean. The Xzilon has a 5 year warranty and I've had the stuff on only 5 months so far but the car beads up like I just waxed it yesterday. If it lasts anywhere near what they say it will be worth me not having to sweat my buns off waxing every month or two. If your interested you can get info on where the nearest dealers for this stuff at www.xyilon.com

13. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    my recently sold 2003 rav4 came with toyoguard option...i used the toyo product 2x's in 4 years and when sold the paint still looked like new, car was never garaged, just washed now and again by myself or touch free car washs. of course the rains in florida always help to keep the grunge off too. i will definitely get toyoguard on my prius

14. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

The wax that came with my 07 seems pretty good. There was an extra one in the center console too. But it feels a little gooey when you touch the car. Not super slick like reg wax. Which might be why its grabbing more dust that your other car.I have not had to wax the car yet but 3 people at the dealership told me to use that wax only. Also at the dealership they sold Mothers "Back to black" which is a black plastic polish and that worked perfect on all the delicate black plastic around the MFD. Black cars are a horror. I'll never own one again especially if you live near an airport. Good luck.

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 16 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]513205[/snapback]</div>
    whew, you go farther than i do. i do the outside b pillars, wiper cowling, and the bra and that's it. i do most of the interior trim and it comes out nice with a lot of elbow grease.

of course, i've had some back pain recur lately so i'm getting lax on the car care thing.

16. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BuddyL @ Sep 22 2007, 02:29 PM) [snapback]516310[/snapback]</div>
    Product: $5
    Labor: $10
    Dealer Profit: $315

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A neighbour, whose car looks much younger than its years, very kindly gave me some P21S bodywork shampoo and a drying towel. Both are excellent products.

18. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 22 2007, 09:18 PM) [snapback]516418[/snapback]</div>

Well I used tyre dressing on the skirt and mudguard and while they look good afte application, after a while, they "fade" and start to look really bad. A few weeks ago, I used peanut butter (thanks to a PCer for that suggestion!) and removed the wax and tyre dressing oil from the mudguards and skirt and now it looks blacker (or rather, back to their original colour/state).

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh, i refuse to use tire dressing even on the tires :lol:

actually, we did put some on the mxv4+s when we first installed, because DH got some of the sealant on the outside of the tires. but it was from the detail prep area.