1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car wash won't take Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BareCloset, Jan 7, 2005.

1. BareCloset

BareCloset New Member

My local car wash refushes to was my 2005 Prius because their insurance will not cover a car that is not in neutral with the engine off. Insurance company says it is too dangerous to leave it in the ignition mode. Anyway around this?

2. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Re: BareCloset

Not sure what this is doing in Commercial Sales but I'd suggest trying a different car wash. I've had mine through the local brushless wash with no problems; I just take off the antenna and pull in the mirrors.

3. BareCloset

BareCloset New Member

Sorry. I am brand new here and I guess I got lost in the maze.

4. rflagg

rflagg Member

while in full ready mode, put your foot on the brake, and hold the shifter in the N position for about 2 seconds. You are now in neutral with the engine off (as long as a/c and heater are both off, anyways). The reason there's a delay in shifting into neutral while in ready mode is in case you accidentally bump the shifter while driving. But yeah, a different car wash is probably easier and more in order here. Welcome aboard! :)

-m.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was going to post the same thing Martin, but I noticed BareCloset said the ins co didn't think engine off, Ig-On was even good enough.

6. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

I've been through once. No brushes, but it had the big heavy strips of cloth. I removed the antenna. The floppy strips folded the mirrors! I didn't even know they could fold both backward AND forward. How is one supposed to get the mirrors washed if you have to fold them so the machine doesn't?

Yeah, I know: A bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towels.

7. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

dumb question here, I won't send my Prius thru an automatic car wash, but my wife will be getting one in a couple of months and she uses one for her current car all the time. Am I understanding that if she does what you suggest, that holding the car in N for a couple of seconds will shut off the car with it in neutral? And a second dumb question....do the carwash jockey's no how to get the thing started and moved once it comes off the line?

8. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll have to hover over the car. I always have to with mine, which is not as "different" as the 04 and up models.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I've been to two different carwash places. The first one has seen the Prius before, and had no problems once they got the key from me (having SKS, I forgot to leave my key in the car :oops: ).

The 2nd place I went to twice could get the car IN the washer, but the guys at the other end couldn't figure out how to get it back in drive.

You can get the car in neutral in Ig-On mode.
    From off, press power twice without pressing brake.
    Hold shifter in N for about 2 seconds.
    You are now in Neutral, and the ICE/Inverter will remain off.

Which reminds me, my car is due to be washed.

10. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have three high pressure, brushless car wash facilities within 15 miles of me where you drive into the building, park when the sign says "STOP", the apparatus moves around the vehicle going through the chosen cycles and when completed the sign says "PROCEED SLOWLY" you depart the building using a timer display while hot,dry air finishes the job. It costs around $7 CAD for the basic and I've used it 6 times in the 3 months we've owned the Prius. No need to fold side mirrors or remove antenna and haven't had any problems whatsoever.
    Are these not common in most areas?

11. tag

tag Senior Member

I think they're fairly common, at least in my area.

The closest automatic car wash to my house is of that type. It does a pretty good job and is the only one I'll use (hate those conveyor-type car washes).

12. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've never seen one.

13. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had my car for over a year and I have NEVER been to a car wash. I always clean the car in my driveway. If that is not feasible (cold winter day), I take it to a self wash place where you hose it down yourself. No way will I put any of my cars through a car wash.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had heard about people having problems and had my arguments ready the first time I went to the auto car wash. Ours lets the driver stay in the car but I am aware of those who have some one drive the car through. I took off the antenna, folded the mirrors and put the car in Neutral and I don't think they even knew what it was. A lot of turn over with the crews at those places. I also always tip well so the pre cleaning is done well. The vertical surface in the back does not get cleaned well by the machines and have to be done by hand in the prep area. Talk to the people show them you can put the car in neutral. I can't clean the car well because of back surgery and bending over to do the lower parts causes pain when I am done so I am stuck using the car wash places. Good luck! :mrgreen:

15. rflagg

rflagg Member

Believe it or not, here in Northern VA, there aren't any self wash places to go to. One of my favorite stops on my quarterly trip back to the midwest to visit family is to head out to the self washers.

-m.

16. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    djasonw, I hear you. Been there, done that for over 50 years starting with a 47 ford. Somehow the novelty has worn off. I agree that a car wash cannot do a perfect job so if I'm going to a wedding or a funeral I give the young lady (Prius, that is) a special treat in the driveway to touch up after the first inch or two of junk is removed by the touchless. My experience over the years is that unless you are extremely careful using the sponge/glove you will end up with fine scratches in the paintwork. No big deal if you trade vehicles within a few years. :roll:

17. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yup, I still think the wash mitt is the way to go. I've been washing mine that way for over a year now and the paint is still immaculate. When I drove to Cali, I found some self-wash places and cleaned the bug hits off that way, but I planned ahead and brought my own wash mitt and towels.

Once you've seen some jerk cleaning gravel out the bed of his 4x4 with the supplied wash-brush, you'll never use their "foamy brushes" again.

The only thing I want to get done elsewhere is waxing (which I find to be a real chore).

Dave

18. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My house water is supplied by a well. The water is so hard, that it leaves white junk on even the tiniest hints of remaining moisture once the car is dry, and it etches the paint. I would spend at least 5 to 6 bux at the self wash places. After a while, I got to thinking, why not just spen the extra few dollars, and let someone else sweat and contort themselves doing the job. I have no problem waiting, and supervising the job. I find it takes the car wash places less to do the job, then what I used to take. I simply have too little free time, and when I can find a means of opening up a bit, it's money well spent. I'd have a housecleaning service do my house if I could find one out here.

As for those foamy brushes, a minute with the wand at high pressure immediately eliminates any hint of grit in the bristles.

19. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Took my muddy Prius through the car wash at the gas station - the kind you drive yourself in and the brushes move over and around the car and then you drive out. There was a very noticable area in the middle rear that didn't get washed and the inset area around the license plate was not very clean. My Prius looks like it is wearing a thong! Not very attractive. It got the worst of the muck off but I'll still have to go after it with a hose myself.

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep the vertical surfaces on the rear of any car are not well covered by auto wash that's why I tip the attendants and mention the back of the car.