1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

car washing and antenna

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by smohrmann, Feb 20, 2007.

1. smohrmann

smohrmann New Member

I just bought a 2007 Prius!!!! As I read the manual it said to remove antenna before going through a car wash. Is this necessary? How do you remove it?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it twists off.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) It's easy to remove the antenna - just unscrews. The hardest part is reaching it... takes a long arm and/or tall person.

For carwash purposes, I bought a 2" stubby antenna on eBay. In the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, I notice no degradation of reception, but when I'm travelling 'cross country,' I put the original back on. As I recall, I paid about $15.00 including shipping.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProudOwner @ Feb 20 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]393321[/snapback]</div>
    You need to remove it for a car wash using brushes. For a "no touch" wash that just sprays, there is no need to remove the antenna.

Tom

5. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think they are just trying to cover themselves in case there happens to be breakage. I have put mine through brush car washes a number of times with no problems (mostly because I just forget to take it off). I've done this with my Prius and my old Matrix which has an identical antenna. Anyway, if you can remember you probably should take it off but if you forget I wouldn't sweat it.

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Feb 20 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]393385[/snapback]</div>
    I've never taken off the antenna for the car washes I've used. The first was a hand wash, so that doesn't count. Also the bubble wash doesn't count, and I've used one of those once or twice.

The third was rotating cloths (not brushes), and I've never had trouble with those. I assume I never will, since the car is on tracks and can't really deviate from the central position. The rotating cloths are symmetrically located on the center of the car. I've been in the, car, so couldn't see where the brushes hit. If it does break off, I'll replace it.

Dave M.

7. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've forgotten to take it off and it was fine, and took it off once, surprised at how easily it unscrewed by hand.

8. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProudOwner @ Feb 20 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]393321[/snapback]</div>
    The car wash attendants will remove the antenna and tape your rear wiper. Otherwise you have to do it yourself. Very simple, no big deal. :rolleyes:

9. DFWPrius

DFWPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On my 2005 Prius, I installed the shark fin antenna, cost was about $70 and prep work, cleaning the area around the antenna base (removing sealer/wax) so the antenna would bond to the surface. Once this antenna is installed that it, its on for good.

My 05 was totalled when it was hit by a pickup truck.

On my 2007, I ordered and installed a stubby antenna ( I type) from Carccessory. It is a stubby ( 3.5 inchs) you can get them in silver or black. $7.99 plus $5.00 for shipping. Nice thing is no prep, just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one. I can take it with me if ever I sell the car. But I still will take it off for the car wash.

The reasons for my changing the antennas are this, I think the factory one looks a bit cheap and the new attenna makes finding the Prius in a parking lot easier.

Web site for the stubby antenna

http://www.carccessory.com

PS: Antenne base stud is 5mm pitch .80

10. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I only use the "touchless" car wash or wash by hand. You should stay away from the cloth or brushes.....

11. smohrmann

smohrmann New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DFWPrius @ Feb 20 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]393578[/snapback]</div>

THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO!

12. harper42

harper42 Member

[

Web site for the stubby antenna

http://www.carccessory.com

Thanks for that link! I went there for the antenna and found something else I'd been looking for.... an fm convertor for my ipod, since my Prius doesn't have a plug-in for it!! So I ordered tha antenna and the converter. Good thing they weren't selling Godiva Chocolates!

13. rrobin1057

rrobin1057 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    mine is a 2008 and so far i have never taken it off for any car wash's