1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car weight limits are a big, fat problem

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some motorists may be too big for their cars.

The growing girth of Americans is colliding with government-mandated warning labels on all 2006 or newer cars that list the maximum weight — passengers and cargo — that's safe to carry.

Many two-seat sports cars, including Mazda MX-5 Miata and Chevrolet (GM) Corvette, aren't certified to carry two 200-pound adults, according to a government formula aimed at tire safety.

Many five-passenger vehicles are rated about 850 pounds, maxxing out if their five occupants weigh more than 170 pounds each. Six 200-pounders would overload the seven-passenger Dodge Grand Caravan minivan.

The limitations are stamped on a "Tire and Loading Information" plate on the driver's side door frame. The ratings are an outgrowth of the 2000 Firestone tire recall, in which overloading was considered a factor that could cause tires to fail. Weight limits are important because automakers could claim they don't have responsibility for a component failure or a crash if a vehicle is overloaded.

Full Article

2. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 18 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]514416[/snapback]</div>
    I dont have my prius inside door on me right now: problem with the prius?

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm.. I could've sworn I put this in the FHOP forum...

Unless the news forum can be changed to "Automotive News"

I believe the Prius' weight limit is 836lbs.

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Step 1 - Install weighing devices in the car seats. (Already done for the passenger seat of a 2007 Prius)

Step 2 - Install tire pressure monitoring devices. (Already done for the 2007 Prius)

Step 3 - Establish weight standards for each car (in progress)

Step 4 - Put interlock in car preventing operation if overloaded.

Just Joking? (I really don't know.)

5. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    According to the manual, maximum load for the Prius is 810 pounds, so with 5 people in the car, average weight needs to be less than 162 pounds including clothes and accessories.
    Practically speaking, you really only need to worry about this if your tires are underinflated, which was possibly the problem with the Firestone/Explorer issue, along with overspeeding the tires. A lot of Prius owners tend to overinflate the tires from Toyota's recommendations, so it should not be a problem.

6. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a wild guess, I bet that big honking SUVs have no problem carrying the extra weight of the average American. Could this be another salvo in the step up to an SUV war on America? Forget about the energy problems facing us now and our children tomorrow, step up to an SUV. I thought that engineers started with a target weight for the passengers to be carried and then designed the vehicle to match or exceed the specs, perhaps the tail does wag the dog and engineers are idiots.

7. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ Sep 19 2007, 07:47 AM) [snapback]514723[/snapback]</div>
    The first part of your comment was exactly the way this struck me when I read this originally. In the article I read, the "twist" at the end was that your insurance won't cover you if you're in an accident and total passenger weight exceeds the limit. Not that I've looked into it, but I've never heard of an insurer denying claims because your (properly seated, properly belted) passengers were overweight for the car, nor have I ever heard of an insurer weighing the driver and passengers after an accident. So it struck me as another planted story on the evils of normal-sized vehicles.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ Sep 19 2007, 04:47 AM) [snapback]514723[/snapback]</div>
    Well if you check the Navigator, assuming no cargo and carrying 8 passengers, each of them must weigh no more than 181.5 lbs. For the MKX, it's 181.8 lbs

The CX-7 has the same capacity as its sibling the Mazda3 and LESS capacity than the Nissan Versa

The Highlander's per passenger weight limit is 171.4 lbs

So SUVs aren't immune either.

9. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Overloaded cars aren't that big of a deal.

[​IMG]

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Sep 19 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]514985[/snapback]</div>
    HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!!! :eek:

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Sep 19 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]514985[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently SUVs have more cargo space than that.... not!

12. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Weight limits are for sissies:

[​IMG]

13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, for airplanes, you must legally know the weight and balance of the plane before you fly. Some 2 seaters are only certified for 2 FAA (170lb) adults plus fuel. Funny how that doesn't seem to work for cars.

14. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Sep 19 2007, 11:49 PM) [snapback]515141[/snapback]</div>
    Same problem there!!!

A few years ago (maybe 4 now) there was a regional turboprop down in the Southeast that crashed. There was an issue with the elevator cables, but the NTSB also concluded that weight was an issue. The current FAA requirements were similar ~150 or so for a passenger. There was talk about raising it, but I haven't heard of anything since.

And boats:

A couple of years ago, a tour boat capsized on one of New York's finger lakes. Weight was an issue there too. The Coast Guard was the same way. Approx ~150ish for a passenger. Same talk about raising the weight requirements.

15. Angelus

Angelus New Member

That's kinda scary since I'm 6'4" and 225 pounds and not fat by any means. Who are these mythical 150lb people? Do they factor in toddlers and newborns with those weight figures? I think they are in serious need of updating.

This was a report from 2004

"...the average height of a man aged 20-74 years increased from just over 5'8" in 1960 to 5'9½" in 2002, while the average height of a woman the same age increased from slightly over 5'3" 1960 to 5'4" in 2002.

Meanwhile, the average weight for men aged 20-74 years rose dramatically from 166.3 pounds in 1960 to 191 pounds in 2002, while the average weight for women the same age increased from 140.2 pounds in 1960 to 164.3 pounds in 2002."

That makes the average weight 178 pounds and the average height almost 5'7".