1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car won’t start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Kam Hardee, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Kam Hardee

Kam Hardee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I’m new here but my name is Kam. I have had my used Prius 2012 base model for about 5-ish months now (bought with 100,000; now on about 130,000 miles; I have a lengthy commute to work and school for a while). Everything has been absolutely fantastic until a few weeks ago when my breaks stopped being as touchy as they used to be. I’ve been having to press the break pedal lower and lower. Then on Sunday I was running low on gas (had about a quarter of a tank) and I put a little gas in and suddenly the car wouldn’t start and instead made a clicking sound similar to when a rollercoaster starts and is going up a steep Incline. In a few minutes, it made another sound that sounded like the gas was moving through the car and then it started right up and has been driving no problem. The same happened today when I started it after filling up the tank. In addition, my breaks have been making a rubbing noise (like rubber rubbing together) that I can feel through the break pedal. My breaks also have made a slight squeak noise once or twice. I took it to my local Toyota dealership and they ran full diagnosis and found no issues, my breaks scored a 7/10, and they test drove it and said that they heard no sounds. They can’t test drive it with me in the vehicle because of corona violations. Please, I love my Prius so so much and I just got her! I rly need your help!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I hate those Corona Violations. Hope you had fun doing them. My personal internet violation is the use of Break instead of Brake.

30,000 miles in five months? That is incredible. Are you a delivery or Uber driver?

Based on what you report, you may have two problems, one an intermittent no start and a second problem, noisy brakes. The dealer can be trusted if he says your brakes are ok. He may have a hard time diagnosing a no start if it was running when he saw it.

I assume no warning lights came on since you did not mention it. I will also assume the dealer ran a scanner on the car and found no codes. If you are not sure about either of these two, find out.

It is possible that the fuel pump is failing based on your description. Again I have to assume you mentioned that concern to the dealer? What did they say? That would certainly prevent an engine start.

Did it go into Ready Mode during these failures?

Kam Hardee likes this.
  3. Kam Hardee

Kam Hardee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Haha yea I’m an Uber driver and I live 20 miles away from the university I attend. Plus, my family lives about a 100 miles away. Yes, no warning lights came on. The dealer did scan the car and there were no codes. I did not mention this concern to the dealer as it happened after my visit but I am taking it back tommorow and plan to mention it then (the no start is a recent issue, I previously took it for the brakes). Also, it did not go into ready mode at any point during the issues until I heard the swishing noise like the gas was moving around and then it started and has been running no problem.