1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car won't start, HV battery "empty" on MFD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kraz, Nov 14, 2012.

1. kraz

kraz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone.

I had my dead 12V replaced two weeks ago with a new OEM batt. The car had been working fine until I parked it in the garage four days ago. There was a single bar of HV charge left at that time, at least according to the MFD. Today it's stone dead, not even a single beep or a blinking light. I've attached a working 12V battery to the jumpstart points under the bonnet and the dash came alive, but the car would not start. The HV battery gauge on the MFD had no bars, and the shifter indicators were all flashing.

Perhaps someone had this problem? Is my HV really dead? Would it really take only four days to discharge completely and take the new 12V with it? Perhaps the OEM 12V was faulty and another 12V battery (not a booster) is not enough to jumpstart the car? I'd appreciate any insight you may have... thanks!

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The HV battery is fully disconnected from the system when the car is not READY. Also when the car is not READY, no bars show on the MFD. It sounds like you are in accessory mode.

Shut the car completely off. Then with the radio and everything off, firmly depress the brake pedal. Wait for the brake pump to finish. Then press the start button. You should hear audible clicking from the back. These are the HV relays engaging. it will sound like 2-3 short clicks (2 happen almost at the same time, so you may only hear 2 clicks even though there are 3).

If you hear no clicks, the 12v is not flipping the car to READY. Could be as simple as the brake pedal sensor is out of alignment and doesn't register your foot on the brake so it won't READY, only ACC mode.

If you hear clicks, then your MFD should show something. At a minimum the car should illuminate the READY light. If the engine starting goes wrong 1-7 seconds later, then the dash should also light up like a christmas tree.

Report back with whether or not you hear the clicks.

3. kraz

kraz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks 2k1Toaster. You were right. The car was entering not entering Ready mode - but that was due to the dealer-installed car alarm, which needed to be turned on again with a separate key. So I essentially tried to steal my own car.

After that, the Prius started without a problem from the external battery, and ran fine. The HV still had the 1 bar of charge and I charged it up just to be sure. The car went to IG-ON without the external battery, but on the third try, it fell silent. I'm going to have the 12V replaced under warranty tomorrow. Thanks again!

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well your battery just isn't charged. You know it isn't charged. Forcing it to boot multiple times on an uncharged battery will fail eventually, in your case 3 times after. You need to fully charge the aux battery. Go for a drive or even just sit it in READY mode in park. Since it works off the inverter it does not charge faster or slower depending on speed. Driving on the interstate to get higher alternator output doesn't apply in the Prius because it doesn't have an alternator or work off even a remotely close principle.

It takes a half hour at a minimum to charge a slightly dead battery up. If the battery is so weak it can't flick Prius relays, it is really really dead and will take a long time to charge. Might be better to hook it to an external smart charger overnight. Your overall capacity is reduced, but it should still work as a good battery for years to come.