1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car won't start please help - No READY light.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dugi, Mar 29, 2006.

1. dugi

dugi New Member

My airbags are blown and i lost me keys so i had the dealer make me a new key and they also had to replace the immobolizer. My question is since the car has been in an accident and the airbags deployed is there some kind of shut off to keep the car from restarting? is there something i can reset that would allow me to start the car again? and if so how would one do that? thanks.

car is 2003

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dugi @ Mar 29 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]231777[/snapback]</div>
    Yes when the airbags deploy the System Main Bus is disconnected. The dealer should know that! You took it to a Toyota dealer and they replaced airbags keys immobilizer, key fob and did not activate the System Main Bus? Sounds like something rotten in Denmark. Anyone care to comment?

3. dugi

dugi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Mar 29 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]231831[/snapback]</div>
    no i paid for new keys and the immoblizer for the key but not airbags cuase i was going to do that work myself.
    Dealer tells me they need to replace airbags to start the car and i feel they just want the work that you can still start the car with airbags deployed but i dont know how.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dugi @ Mar 29 2006, 03:16 PM) [snapback]231843[/snapback]</div>
    Have you replaced air bags before? I have to say that if you didn't know about the CAN issue needing to be reset I'd be worried about what else you don't know about. If you deploy an airbag on accident during installation it could result in death. If this is something you've done before and have experience with then my concern is probably misplaced, but if you just think you can do it b/c it looks easy I strongly encourage you to let the dealer do that work....or at least some experienced body shop.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i would strongly advise against replacing your own airbags.

even mechanics are leery about replacing airbags, much less having someone do the job who's never done it before. if you don't know why your car isn't starting i'm leaning toward you being "someone who's never done it before."

the situational difference is, if you get hurt while doing this you're on your own. your mechanic gets hurt, his medical bills are paid for as a work-related injury and you still only pay the going labor and parts rate regardless.

i know it's expensive but i wouldn't take the risk of doing it myself if i were you.

6. dugi

dugi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 29 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]231855[/snapback]</div>
    Im an autobody tech with 10 yrs experience and replaced about 15 or so airbags but the Prius would be my first for a hybrid. Most other cars are simple and would start even with airbags deployed but newer cars with their fancy "keys" and whatnot are more complex but im sure there is a simple reset procedure that the dealer just wouldnt tell me.

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok. lemme see what i can find out.

you can never assume people on an internet board know what they're up to- i hope i didn't come off as too offensive then. always best to err on the side of caution and not send someone in to bite off more than they can chew.

8. dugi

dugi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 29 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]231868[/snapback]</div>
    no not at all, your concern about peoples well being and that is very kind of you so im not at all offended but yes i do have autobody experience and up untill few years back us techs at the body shop replaced the airbags and just sent the car to the dealer to reset the codes but now its more of a liability issue that the shop doesnt want to take so we now out source all airbag work to the dealers.

OK i found this on an old thread from some forum but this is for a 2004 model, i just hope the 2003 model is just as simple. This person had the same problem, airbags deployed and car wouldnt start and this is how he got it started.

Finally after resetting computer ( trick with pushing and holding INF button and at the same time switching lights ON and OFF till "diagnostc screen" came on ) most of warning lights dissapired.
    Surprise "READY" light is gone also but vehicle started up immediately with standard "Starting the Hybrid System" procedure. That is it.

9. robinsod

robinsod New Member

dugi:

I'm reasonably certain there were major changes made in the Prius between 2003 and 2004. For your safety, check out the procedures for installing the air bags on the 2003. They may well differ from those of the 2002.

Galaxee will be a good source of info for you. Wait for her advice.

cheers,

don r

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dugi @ Mar 29 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]231870[/snapback]</div>

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This makes no sense. The INFO/lights diags screen trick doesn't
    reset "the computer", it can clear a couple of codes related to
    the stereo and nav but that's completely unrelated to the hybrid
    system. And CAN is a data bus, not something you reset. If you
    were still getting no-start condition I was going to ask, do you
    get *anything*, i.e. does it at least power up to ACC mode? What
    you probably saw was the effect of the fourth startup you tried,
    which is when most error conditions self-clear if the cause has
    been removed in the meantime.
    _H*

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well I am not sure about 03 but you can down load all or part of the service manual here; http://techinfo.toyota.com/. I got some of the 04 information there but I was not paying any attention to other years and did want to pay up to check but you can sign up by the day find the info and download it.

12. dugi

dugi New Member

I was able to test a few things and what i found was that the dash indicates that the main batteries have power but I tested the line comming out of the batteries and i get no voltage. Is there some sort of relay that needs to be reset? perhaps someone knows why im not reading any voltage comming out.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    edit:

the HV battery relays are open, so that's why you're not getting any current. he's done some digging and hasn't seen anything in the repair manual about resetting it. they've actually never had to do that at his shop, their body shop does all the body and airbag work, and they fix anything mechanical that's messed up.

still digging... :mellow:

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    have you checked the 15a AM2 (located in the engine room junction block) 10a SRS ACC and 10a ACC fuses (both in instrument panel j/b)?

any DTCs?

DTC 3125 converter and inverter assy malfunction- info code 308: the inverter will recognize the signal from the srs sensor and shut itself down- there's no inspection procedure listed in the repair manual or steps to take written down there.

could you tow it home, replace the airbags and all those sensors and then try to start it back up? if the above DTC is causing the problem, restoring the system should set things back to normal. after searching over 2000 pages of repair manual and EWD... sounds like replacing the airbags and sensors and etc is what it will take to start your baby back up. (yes, he even went over the options tree for the scantool and saw nothing about a main relay reset or anything accident-related)

15. dugi

dugi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 5 2006, 08:00 PM) [snapback]235694[/snapback]</div>
    well thank you for all your help and time, as im starting to run out of option it apears that perhaps all airbags and sensor replacement might just be the only solution, its to bad we havent found a way to get a 2003 prius to run with deployed airbags. odd that any other car and even a 2004 prius can run with deployed airbags but not a 2003.

16. dugi

dugi New Member

I like to thank everyone who put in the time and effort to help me get my 2003 prius to start. Well i finally did it! i got the car started without new airbags or sensors installed like the dealer told me it needed.

well to recap what was done. I had no keys so i paid the dealer to install a new key system/immobleizer and they did but when i went to pick it up they had told me it is impossible for this car to start without new airbags and sensors replaced. Myself knowing what type of people/buisness im dealing with knew that they only wanted more money so i towed the car home and started searching for ways to start the car myself. I ask on 3 different online forums cuase i know how many smart people there were and most likely i'd have the answer in a day but unfortunatly all i got was some very good advice but not 1 that started the car. I then paid for the online subscription to check out the toyota manuals and let me say its not the easiest to navigate through but i read and read and read.
    well what really screwed me over was that the dealer was suppose to have installed a brand new immobleizer and program it but in the end they just installed it and never programmed/reset it so that was my problem.

3. IF ALL KEYS ARE LOST, OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING
    (a) Purchase a new transponder key ECU and a new key.
    (B) Replace the transponder key ECU with new one.
    © Insert a new key into the key cylinder, turn the ignition switch ON and leave it as it is for 30 min.
    4. SETTING HYBRID VEHICLE IMMOBILISER SYSTEM
    (a) Removing a key from the key cylinder sets hybrid vehicle immobiliser system.
    (B) When 20 sec is elapsed after the key is turned from ignition switch ON to ACC or LOCK, the hybrid
    vehicle immobiliser is set.

so that is what i did and that got the car started. so i guess dealer repair techs are just as slimy as their sales guys lol.

17. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dugi @ Apr 7 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]236424[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats on getting your car going. Very industrious of you.

I will admit that I haven't followed this thread that closely, however if there is anything I completely and fully understand about the car business now, its that dealerships are always looking to cover their behind, and if our society weren't so litigious, they probably wouldn't be compelled to do that so much. But instead of leveling with their customers when they are covering themselves from potential legal repercussions, they feed you a lie and don’t complete the work.

It would have been smarter for the dealer to activate your immobilizer and then have you sign a waver or release form for taking away a vehicle that didn't have full safety equipment. I don't believe that a dealership or body shop can legally send away a vehicle in which its factory included safety equipment is known to be non-functional. If a body shop or dealer has been given a car to put back on the road, it has to have its safety stuff repaired and operating.

That is what the dealer should have told you, instead of the other line they gave you.

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well done dugi!

apparently the inverter doesn't require the airbags to be replaced as long as the car has been restarted to assure it there is no danger of electrocuting emergency response peronnel or passengers or anything.

initially we figured it should be able to run, but after searching the repair manuals and not seeing ANYTHING we started to wonder if the shop was indeed right. we couldn't find anything to prove one way or the other.

we should have moved on to the immobilizer and key, to see if that was done correctly.

glad to hear everything turned out okay and you didn't have to get screwed by the dealer. yes it's a shame that stuff happens, and that's why we try to offer what we can. and thanks for sharing some valuable information with us. :)

19. dugi

dugi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep @ Apr 7 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]236438[/snapback]</div>

i totally understand the liability part of a dealer sending out a car not fit for the road but they totally mislead me on this. I mean im no idiot, im not gonna be driving a car in this condition on the road, i only wanted it run so that when i needed to move it i wasnt pushing it in and out of the garage. no, a dealer doesnt know any of their customers intend so sure they would protect themselves but lying about what is needed shouldnt be the solution, i mean i would have totatlly signed a waver and that would have saved me alot of time. But still a part of me knows alot of buisness would mislead you and bend the truth to get more work especially if they are having a slow month.

20. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Not sure what the liability or safety issue is with not having the airbags work, I would think more than 50% of the cars on the road don't have airbags to start with. It was not that many years ago that only high end cars had them as an option, let alone standard equipment. Sure it is safer to have them, but it is not like driving around with bald tires a bad steering gear.