1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAR WON'T START!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by angelsbreath, Jan 15, 2015.

1. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sometimes our Prius won't start. We push "P" on and off and nothing. Won't go into drive or reverse. We spent 30 minutes in the Drug store "drive up" trying to start the car, there was a line of cars waiting for us to move. Once we were tapped on our rear bumper at a street light and the car wouldn't star for 20 minutes. We held up traffic. We have had our 2014 Prius v wagon for over a year and this happens too often. Can't find any info in our manual about this problem. Informed the dealer about it and his answer was , "We have never heard of this happening. " So we got no where.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, they'll need to check out the 12v battery. But without a lot more information about what the car is doing, what state the system is in when this happens and so forth, there's not much anyone can tell you. Could be anything from a bad key fob, bad 12v batt or system issue to simple operator error.

3. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

4. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you, these recommendations are a start! We have a service coming soon, so we will address these issues with our service advisor.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm a bit confused, perhaps.
    Both of the situations you mentioned are not cases in which I would power off the car: at the drive through and at the stop light.

So I have to ask for the sake of clarification:
    • Do you fully power down the car when in a drive through and at a stop light?
    • Do you shift into PARK when at the drive through and at a stop light?
    • Is it that the car is powered up and then won't move forward?
    In order for us to be as helpful as possible, you need to use as many small words as possible, assume nothing in terms of understanding, and try to explain with as much detail as possible, what exactly happens.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you absolutely, positively certain that you are pressing down on the brake pedal while starting the car? That is what tripped me up occasionally during my first year of Prius ownership.

Also, make sure to let the car finish responding to one button press before pressing it again. I've seen several family members repeatedly get into trouble with computers and other devices when they were impatient and piled on keystrokes or button presses faster than the device could process them.

7. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

8. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your response, Tony. I have forwarded it to my husband who is the driver of this car and I will get back to you when he gives me a clearer description of the situation. I have more free time than him for posting and communicating. Thanks again.

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Are you saying that the car is in "Ready", you have just stopped,with everything looking normal and it won't go or are you saying that you are actually powering off the car in the drive through and then trying to start it? From your description of the failure "at a street light" it sounds like it was "running" (in Ready state) but would not go when you pressed the pedal. If for some reason it actually powers down by itself when stopped, record that as it's obviously a fault. If it's in Ready but won't go record that as that's obviously a fault.

I assume you are pressing "Power" and not "P" Park when you try to start it. Of course the brake petal has to be pressed to start. No obvious failure indicators or out of the norm lights?

There is a procedure you can use to check the 12v battery voltage on the screen when this happens. It might not help if the controls don't work. You can search and hopefully find it.

It would seem to me that this is pretty serious if it's not operator error so you need to push the dealer. It could be an intermittent computer or network; not normal but possible. The fact you get it running again suggests that something intermittent is happening, maybe a bad brake switch sensor or wiring. It's important to tell the dealer exactly what happened when.

I would take a notebook and a camera with me in the car and document everything when it fails, eg the state it was in just before the failure (stopped, first start of the day, cold outside, etc), the dash indicators when you press Power before it starts and then after. Then I would take the scenario(s) to the dealer and leave it with them (ask for a loaner car). Have them start and drive it under the circumstances you see. Clearly you should not have to diagnose the problem for them ("it's the xxxyyy part"), but give them as much input as possible.

#9 rjparker, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  10. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

11. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    rj, all excellent points and suggestions, thank you! Camera and notebook sound like great advice and we are so there. I am saving and forwarding these posts to my husband as he is offsite. He is reading them and will respond with more info. Wow!.. this forum is equally as good as myVette forum and my daughter's Camaro forum! Thanks for the fast and informative responses. You're the best.

12. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

13. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So I have to ask for the sake of clarification:
    • Do you fully power down the car when in a drive through and at a stop light?
    • ********** No just pushed the "p" button for park,
    • Do you shift into PARK when at the drive through and at a stop light?
    • **********Yes, just pushed the "p" button for park while waiting.
    • Is it that the car is powered up and then won't move forward?
    • ********** Yes it is still powered on with all indicator lights on. It will not allow shifting into any gear drive nor reverse.

The indicator lights show all lit. The brake light is lit even with the brakes released.

Cannot shift. The only solution seems to be powering down and waiting quite some time before again powering up.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    start with a healthcheck of the 12 volt battery and connections. if the dealer isn't interested, take it to a local mechanic, or buy a digital voltmeter at sears/radioshack/auto store, and check it yourself, with the car off, and after a few hours.

15. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

16. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Great! Will do. Thank you,bisco.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and if it is bad, the dealer owes you a new one under warranty.

18. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, will certainly insist a new one if that's the case.

19. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

20. angelsbreath

angelsbreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, fuzzy1, we will MAKE SURE that we follow your directions and verify that the brake pedal is pressed down while starting it. I can see where this would be confusing. This car is "different" than other cars, to drive, BUT, boy does it get great gas mileage! When we go in for the next service and discuss all these possibilities with the service manager, we will post his response and outcome. Thanks, again.