1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured CARB, BMW i3, PHEV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 16, 2024.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Seeing the news about future PHEV, reminded me of this old news, it would be great if it applied to PHEVs.

Source: California and PHEV

Summarizing from the lengthy 112-page regulation, 2012 Amendments to the Zero Emission Vehicle Regulations, the BEVx definition says (among other criteria):
    • The vehicle must have a rated all-electric range of at least 75 miles (higher than the 50 miles required of a zero-emission vehicle);
    • The auxiliary power unit must provide range less than, or at most equal to, that battery range;
    • The APU must not be capable of switching on until the battery charge has been depleted;
    • The vehicle must meet "super ultra low emission vehicle" (SULEV) requirements; and
    • The APU and all associated fuel systems must comply with zero evaporative emissions requirements.
    Having bought a used 2017 BMW i3-REx last year, I would keep the original but there is one part I would change:
    • The APU must not be capable of switching on until the battery charge has been depleted;
    • The APU may be manually switched on, after start, when the battery discharges to 75% SOC.
    Each time, the car is started, it automatically starts in EV mode. The driver can manually put it into APU mode which gives it cross country capability. It should also allow charging while driving. Of course, some may choose to drive around with a discharged battery. This also keeps the battery at original capacity so the used car will have value.

Bob Wilson

Extricator likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That was CARB's compromise to allow the i3 REx to get more ZEV credits than a PHEV.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes but after adding the 75% European coding, I found both my 2014 and 2017 BMW i3-REx to be superior to my Prius and the Prime. In one respect, the BMWs were 'training wheels' for my Tesla BEV.

Bob Wilson

4. Extricator

Extricator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2012 Toyota Prius (not a plug-in or Prime or lithium battery) on 1 tank of gas (11.9 gallons).

TripB distance: 924 miles.

TripB gas mileage: 77.7 mpg.

IMG_20240413_205655276~2.jpg