1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CARB confused

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bnaccs, Sep 22, 2011.

1. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I live in Denver, CO. Some information states that Colorado is a CARB state that would extend my hybrid system warranty to 10 years or 150,000. Other information leaves CO out. Anyone know anything about if Colorado is a CARB state or not. I bought my 2010 in Feb. 2011, just in case CO may have just become a CARB state.

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The warranty/maintenance booklet addresses which states are included. I don't remember CO being included. What info have you read that indicated CO is a CARB state?

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_emission_standards"]United States emission standards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I answered a question for a member some time ago from the Centennial State about CARB compliance. I too was suprised to find that they're not included in the CARB states given their demographics.
    However (comma!) I'm wondering why you're wondering about this.
    You have a 2010 G3. IIRC, you're covered on the battery for 100K. I've heard of very few Priuses with traction battery problems, and I've yet to hear of a G3 with this problem. The start battery is a different issue, but that's only about a 200 dollar fix.
    Usually, the only people that are 'concerned' about the battery life for the Prius family are non-owners.

I'd put the giveacrap switch in the 'don't' position and not worry about it. If the very worst thing happens and your battery goes Tango-Uniform at 100,001 miles, then you can get a reman'd unit for a few thou. Same as if your engine sucked a valve, or your transmission needed replacement (I know....I know....the G3 has a CVT!) or to a lesser extent if your A/C compressor stops compressing.

Like I said.
    Life is short.
    Don't worry about it.

Best of luck!

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    1+ ETC

CARB compliant states is getting confusing, since I think a state can opt-in for some of CARB regs and not others. The Toyota warranty manual is definitive so far as I know.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, on most cars, the additional CARB compliance also covers emissions control stuff, like the catalytic converter.

Let's see, if I could have extra coverage for free, or I couldn't...gee, which one would I want?

And given that Consumer Reports ranks the current generation Prius reliability as average—compared to the GII which was outstanding—I'd hope for the coverage I could, if possible. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it's not insignificant either.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You toss around a few thousand dollars like it's pocket change.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can.
    Despite the fact that I'm in the bottom quintile of earnings for Prius drivers, I live frugally, and I try to keep 5 figures in the bank.

If one of my vehicles sucks a valve, and it does not make sense at the time to replace the entire car (truck or motorcycle), I can stroke a check for a used replacement, or a remanned unit.

People don't plan to fail, but they do fail to plan. ;)

9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can DIY a Prius engine swap from salvage for $300. I have a friend that formerly ran a salvage yard in Michigan. He had over 100 Ford Taurus up to 1997. Every last one with the Vulcan V6 still had it in the engine bay when he left. The Prius engine is like this. A small fraction burn oil but that's about it. There will be no reman option because there is no demand. If you need one, just go to a junkyard.