1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carbon Fiber parts...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SparrowHawk60, Mar 13, 2008.

1. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Does anyone have a source for Carbon Fiber hoods and fenders? How about an after market body kit? No fiberglass stuff, please.

I'm looking to lighten a Prius a much as possible. Taking out the rear seats, passenger seat..

Car will be a project car, a donated '06, (in need of body work and front end repairs.) it must remain road worthy and pass NYS inspection.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you calculated how much weight you'd lose with a carbon fibre hood? The aluminium one is already pretty light.

3. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nope, I have not. So how much does the stock hood weigh? Do you know? What is the difference as compared to a carbon fiber hood?
    The Prius has an Aluminum hood, yeah, my MGB had an aluminum hood as well. Sure they were light, but they were a nightmare to do any type of body work on. Aluminum requires special welding and lead filler does not apply it 'self to it very well. Forget about "Bond dough", it simple does not work. Aluminum is very un-forgiving, it's malleable only to limited amounts as it stretches (expands) more than steel.
    As for the corrosion resistance, it's not as bad as steel, but aluminum tends to pit and develop a whitish haze if left unpainted.
    Any more than minimal damage to a Prius hood and I would bet a body shop would tell you that a replacement is in order. (Hope they know how to properly treat and then paint aluminum. I'd check with a Marine repair shop in case of having to do any painting.)

4. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As a matter of curiosity, what use are you intending with the lightened Prius?

5. prius729

prius729 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know man, the prius hood looks like it's been engineered to crumple in a frontal collision. Depending on your use of the vehicle this may not matter but I sure wouldn't want that carbon fiber hood coming thru the windshield in an accident.

6. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Around the Northern America continent tour.

7. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Crumple zones, folding hoods, engines that fold under the passenger compartment in front end collisions...
    Yeah, all neat stuff, but I have yet to see a fiber carbon hood that has gone through a windshield, no, I don't want to be the first either.
    Check out funny cars, pro stock racers, hoods just don't make it through windshields...

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your aluminum hood is not likely to go through your windshield.

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i know the prius you have needs body work.. which makes this perfect..

but.. how about starting at the wheels? get some lighter wheels. after that, make sure the 12v is charged. hook up a solar charger is possible. i've seen a lot of cases where a dead 12v fights the car to stay charged and a charged 12v works wonders.

the rear seat doesn't weigh much.. i'm sure if you strip out everything, seat, rear plastics, passenger seat, door panels, spare tire, hatch plastic, etc.. you might see some difference in mpg.

if you strip it all down and do some test.. please post. i'm curious.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I can't answer these questions. I thought you would know, because you're considering the swap, and I was curious. The stock hood is already pretty light, and doesn't appear substantial enough to make it through the windshield, if that's your concern. For what you'd spend to replace it, you could buy a fair amount of gas on your continental circumnavigation. But that's just me. Still, I'd be interested in hearing what you discover. And in pictures, both of the car and the tour.

11. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, new rims will be in order, as one of the rims is badly damaged and has to be replaced. One option is the stock rim that Honda made for the Civic DX, they are extremely light, fairly easy to find used.

Other modification our group has in mind:
    Plexi-glass windows that will have to be custom made to replace all the rear glass. (one problem is the rear defroster is needed for inspection. Not having saftey glass is another issue, Lexan is to expensive and can be heavier than glass in some cases.)
    Taking a varity of sized hole saws to any interior panel that can have material removed.
    The groups budget will come into play sooner or later, and this could put an end to buying after market parts.

12. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is a little scarry that you can dill various size of holes all though the body and still pass NY inspection.

How about if after you reomve all the interior panels in the back area, you fit it with a clear plastic baloon type liner, evacuate the air and replace with helium?

But you also need to be concerned about it blowing off the road if you encounter wind gusts.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Why not get a car body kit, build it from scratch and install the Prius drive train?
    [​IMG]

1) easy to add aerodynamic and weight saving materials during the build
    2) totally unique vehicle
    3) only as much mass as is needed to be street legal

Trying to modify an existing vehicle, my first step would be to strip it to bare metal. Then cut out any metal than can be taken out. Use fiber filler plates and covers for the holes. And you're still stuck with a tall Prius with good but not excellent aerodynamics and three to four extra seats.

Now if you really want to go radical, get a shell with a 'large trunk' and after the front wheel drive is debugged, put in a second Prius engine and drive train in the rear. Couple the front and rear steering and then go visit some street racer hangouts. <grins> Get real good at forced charging.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's radical, and then there's radical. I'd go visit that guy who built the limo and start with a complete body shell. Then scout around for a compact V8 and see how that fits in the back, add a complete roll cage...call it an update on the "Hemi under glass" theme.

15. josephcnry

josephcnry Junior Member

This is the kind of thread i'd like to see more of. A hot rodded Prius stripped to its essentials and modified for max performance? (performance read "efficiency") Its natural for an American to demand the most speed from a sports car, capacity from a truck, traction from a 4wd, i'm surprised there isnt a bigger contingent of Prius folks seeing what can be gained beyond driving technique.

As for the hood, I for one haven't seen an off the shelf option, so you may have to go custom, or stick to the stock one.

For now, drool over a full carbon fiber Mitsu Evo as inspiration:
    HKS USA HKS Beats Own Track Record with Carbon Fiber HKS EVO TRB-02

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, you can't be serious?
    With a Cd of 0.26 the Prius is the lowest drag 4 door sedan on the market and among the lowest drag vehicles in production, in my book I say that is excelent.

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The drag force is the coefficient of drag times the profile area and air density. The excellent shape of the Prius allows the inside to be a little larger with good interior space yet still get good mileage on the highway. So start the design with just the engine and transaxle and wheels on a frame:
    [​IMG]

So the passenger compartment goes in front of the engine and fix the drive wheels to always point forward. The driver and navigator sit on the battery with a little bit of padding and just high enough for a rear view over the top of the engine. The fuel tank is the seat back. The drive wheels and tires are over sized with the narrowest tread and maximum inflation pressure. If the CG is too far back, put the battery over the front wheels.

Structurally the frame is carbon fiber over cell beams. Hot-wire formed foam is covered with fiberglass for the shell. The total body weight, not counting the engine and transaxle, should be about 500-700 pounds.

See, why fiddle around with a perfectly fine, general purpose Prius body and trim off a pound here or there when you start with a clean sheet and make an ultimate cross-country efficiency car. For good measure, size the tank for a non-stop, coast-to-coast run and install a toss-over steering wheel and redundant brake pedal so the navigator can drive while the pilot naps. . . . Unless you're out to make a 'funny' Prius.

Bob Wilson

18. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Maybe I could just use the hot air from your post?

Holes would only be made in the interior of the car, nothing structural would be drilled out.

19. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Great idea, but the gang wants to maintain the look of the Prius. Plus I've done some looking around and haven't found a "kit" for the Prius yet.

20. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    kit car prius:D
    thats going to be a first:cool:

really wanna see some pics when you starting the carbon modifications