1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carbon footprints of foods

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Dec 28, 2015.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    These ideas are not new, but I find this to be a convenient compilation done with realistic and transparent methods.

The Impacts - 2011 Meat Eaters Guide | Meat Eater's Guide to Climate Change + Health | Environmental Working Group

I don't post their figurehead chart, hoping you will click the site. That is also transparent, on my part.

You'll see beef is right up there, as we have been told for decades. Would not have predicted lamb results. It takes a lot of milk to make a kilo of cheese, and that shows.

One could object that a single value cannot cover (for example) beef, which may or may not have been grown after local deforestation, and may or may not have been transported long distances. That is OK, but most beef production does involve a lot of carbon.

Not my attempt to carbon-shame anybody into vegetarianism. I eat meat. It tastes good, and has high %protein. If your goal is 50 g protein per day, that would be a lot of tofu! Maybe you like other beans, including lentils.

Potatoes/rice is an interesting pair. The former are often transported at harvest water content. The latter is mostly grown in low-oxygen soils that emit methane. They end up with similar footprints.

Leads to questions; where is wheat? Where is corn?

A useful extension of this study would be expressing the x axis as protein (nitrogen, Kjeldahl), because (unless you are very poor), calories are cheap. Another extension would be energy, which highlights oils (twice the E of carbohydrates).

If we agree that the CO2e footprints are done well here, then somebody can bring this forward into actual questions of human nutrition, as opposed to their x axis of kg food consumed.

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.
    Refresh my memory...what was FarmGate?

I am pretty low CO2 with my strict peanut butter and jelly diet, although we need Concord grapes CO2.

3. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for posting the link. Would hope to see charts replacing kg of food with Calories, which is nutritionally the important metric.

Vegans still are champions, but less pronounced, as most animal products are of higher energy density.

For example, a kg of 85% lean ground beef has about 2500 Calories, while a kg of broccoli has only 340 Calories.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Before farmgate, CO2 (etc.) a re there or are from there. After the gate refers to additional processing, storage and transport. Would have to read the entire pdf to see about what happens at retail. Some food frozen, fridge, or just on shelf. I would think that would get hard to track, but they offer some numbers.

I think it would be hard to improve on then, except for the per protein or per energy that we have already mentioned.

I can't 'CO2 price' a PBJ sammich without wheat for the bread, so I'm stuck.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we need new food labeling and menu's. i like nuts.

6. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Calories and other nutritional information are relatively static. Carbon footprint information on labels would be a nice addition. But depending on changing sources, processing, etc., numbers could be rapidly changing and hard to pin down.

Bisco, are you sure you are not a Californian expatriate?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cali is my dream destiny. we got an inch of ice yesterday, and i threw my neck out this morning, almost taking a header.:eek: my wife's sis lives in sacramento, and i've been working on her for years, but the rest of the family is here.:unsure:

8. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, man, hope you get better soon. I know about the ice, wife slipped and broke her ankle. Lets' all be careful. Then again, moving to a ice free climate doesn't sound bad.

DBCassidy

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks man! sorry to hear it, all the best to her.(y) so it begins...

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Carbon footprint of food? Aka 'foodprint' ? ;)

Austin Longenecker and bisco like this.
  11. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Those bean eaters are causing Global Warming.And stinking up the planet.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It is a common misconception that human flatulence is mostly methane. That was hydrogen gas y'all lit in your college dorms :)

Now cows (ruminants more broadly) are plumbed differently and host microbes that would never manage in human intestines. There be methane, and apparently the main reason why lamb and cows are the winners here.

Most lambs are raised in...Algeria. You are now trivia full for the day and can return to other activities.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Not quite trivia full. Other ruminants include deer (looking at you, Michigan and New York). And giraffes. And kangaroos. I don't know that any of those have been methane tested.

14. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Moving up the low hanging fruit tree so now more into such dietary things as it pertains to footprints of this thread.

Not really vegan or vegetarian, but find meat represents a relatively small number of calories in my diet these days, of that mostly fish. Tree nuts are common (one of the best foods for calories : CO2 ratio).

Anyone here try the Beyond Famous Star at Carl’s Jr. or Impossible Whopper from Burger King? Had the former a few weeks ago and latter today for the first time. Must say, pretty darn close to the actual meat product.

bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  15. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My quandary, how does one totally get away from flour / high starch products.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fruits and veggies?

Andyprius1 likes this.
  17. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The impossible ( Burger ) is almost everywhere on our store shelves now. It’s really pretty good but I still prefer real Beef. As a kid whenever I spotted some raw hamburger meat on he kitchen table, I was forced to filch a sample, the high % of fat didn’t hurt me.

18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That all goes without saying. I consume plenty of those. But as was mentioned, PB & J doesn’t spread too well on my digits. So it’s: Sardines and Saltines, Eggs and toast. LOX, Cream Cheese and flour ( bagels ) etc.

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have always had a weight problem, but it has never been because of certain foods i can't give up.

mine has always been a boredom/eat to keep busy problem.

i don't know why, but for the last 3 years, i have been able to lose and keep off 42 extra pounds without much effort.

Mendel Leisk, iplug and Andyprius1 like this.
  20. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and... the worst situation is the food manufac are constantly “improving” thier products to our disadvantage.
    Our flour is not the same as it was in 1945. More processing, refining, heating etc The most important point in any food processing is: No spoilage, that means, more chemicals added, strange and offensive chemicals.
    Does the product still look good, hold up? and basically improve profits. that is the “HAUPTPUNKTE “