1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Care to help a new Hymotion owner?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by snookums, Dec 3, 2009.

1. snookums

snookums Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First and foremost, I have to say that I love this car! Currently I'm getting 3L/100Km (~78mpg), it's already freezing overnight, and in the day it's no warmer than 10c when it's hot.
    I'd also like to appologize for not linking directly, but I'm not allowed to link directly until I have a postcount of 5; this is my 3rd post.

I've done a lot of reading (especially this forum) which has given me all kinds of answers to what I think would be common questions. However, I do have some questions for which I haven't found answers. And a couple which I think are so specific that only other (more experienced) L5 owners would know the answer.

I own a ScanGaugeII (v3.15) which I've now got plugged in to my Prius. I programmed several XGauges as specified over here: http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-p...-hybrid-electric-vehicle-critical-gauges.html
    However, the L5 SOC (both solicited and passive) doesn't seem to work. Is it really confirmed to work? I double checked the settings, and cleared all the other XGauges just in case of conflict, but no luck.

Also, ever since setting up my XGauges, I seem to be regenerating 200Wh (4 green cars) every 5 minutes. Why is it saying that, and how do I fix it? I do not have the AMP XGauge displayed.

Next, I have noticed similar behaviour of the L5 requesting EV mode as another user noticed (though not as severe): http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-p...c-vehicle-button-gauge-in-hymotion-prius.html
    The ICE usually comes on in the morning regardless of what I try, but after the coolant temp reads ~40c, it pops into EV mode. If after that initial switch to EV mode the ICE comes on, the EV mode stays off (even if I come to a complete stop for several seconds). While driving on the highway, I noticed that EV mode will flicker on and off, but street speeds it won't. Was there ever a resolution to this issue? Does the new firmware upgrade for the L5 fix the problem?

Segue into the next question; do I want the new L5 firmware upgrade? It sounds like they've fixed some bugs, but the taillights stay off so you have no idea if the pack is still charging, and the CARB introduced mandatory ICE warm-up cycle seem like backwards steps.

Finally, after watching the EV mode status with my SG2, I've decided that I want to put in a manual EV button. I've downloaded Evan Fusco's instructions (from calcars website), and it seems very straight-forward, but his install does not take into account the L5. I took out the lower glovebox, and I can see what looks like an extra wire spliced onto one of the wires coming out of the HV ECU. If someone *cough*The Force*cough* could tell me how they did their EV button mod without affecting the operation of the L5, I'd really find that helpful.

Additionally, I'm thinking about fiddling with the L5 indicator LED and switch and combining the two into a single switch with built-in back-lit LED. Then I can stick my EV button on the same plastic piece... but that might needs it's own thread, and Hymotion's approval so I don't void my warranty.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

PS: I have also noticed that the L5 has a standard RS232 port on it, can I connect my laptop directly to the L5 and issue straight AT commands over COM1? Is there a list of commands, or am I asking for trouble?

2 people like this.
  2. snookums

snookums Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops, forgot something.

Yesterday morning I got a Check Engine light come up, and my SG2 read the fault code as P1116. From what I can read on the tubes of the internets, it's a problem with the temperature sensor in the coolant recovery thermos. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm calling the Toyota dealership tomorrow regardless, just want to know if it's a common problem.

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  3. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi snookums, the display of regen is a known issue with the xgauge (I tested it with Jay and confirmed it) I do not know of which ones work. I use fwt, mpg per trip, ev mode and I mpg.
    Your ev mode sounds a little like the fan is on. Now with colder weather my ice doesn't turn off when the fwt is too low. I run full grill block and most cold days I barely reach 157f.
    If you don't use an ebh I highly reccomend it.
    I would reccomendvthe newest firmware. I have been using for a month now and don't have any negative effects others than the ice running for 57 sec from the carb version. There is no way to connect the ev switch and leave the L5 in a stock configuation. I have my dv switch connected in parallel with the L5 connection. It will not override the L5.
    I do hope your hymotion experience is great. I will share whatever information I can with you
    Chris

2 people like this.
  4. snookums

snookums Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info boxer!

The regenerated power doesn't really matter to me, but it is too bad it doesn't read properly. I plan to get an EBH as soon as I can find a kit like the one from PC Shop... which ships to Canada. :(

I'm already getting to 70c (157f) on my trips home (~30 minutes), and it's probably colder up here. ;)
    Should really look to see if I have enough coolant in the system.

I'm not looking to override the L5's regular requests for EV mode, I just want to be able to make manual requests for EV mode. On my way home from work, the trip from the highway to my house is all downhill and I still have some charge left in the battery, but the L5 won't request EV mode.

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The SOC will only display the spoofed SOC the L5 will put out. So if the L5 is on you will normally see 80% until you run out of charge then it will display the stock battery SOC. Also if you regen you will see 82%-90% or more. Also if you EV too much especially near the end of your charge you will bring down the stock battery SOC and the spoofed SOC will read %79 when actually the stock battery SOC is 59%. Its confusing but once you see it in action you will understand how the spoof SOC works with the stock SOC.

You can either ignore this or stop using the active gauges. Only use passive gauges for AMPs, and SOC. Dont know if it does it on other active gauges.

The new firmware is supposed to take care of some issues but I dont know if it will fix this one or not since I dont let the L5 take control of EV. I would recommend getting the firmware upgrade anyway if you have a dealer near by. otherwise just install a manual EV button and disconnect the L5 wire.

Like I said you might want to get the upgrade anyway. It fixes some issues.

Mine was installed before the L5 install. My dealer did not even install the wire. So I did not do a thing to mine. I'm guessing all you have to do is make sure you have the right wire on the right connector, Cut it about 5 or so inches from the connector and splice in your manual EV button onto that cut wire going into the connector.

With the 04 Prius blank size I'm willing to bet you can put everything on the one blank. Just get a small rocker switch, The same LED should fit there along with a small momentary switch. You may have to get a new blank so you can drill your own holes. If you go with a stock EV button you will have to find a new location of the L5 switch and LED. Mine is on my dash. If you look at my Hymotion battery review there is a picture of it. I'm sure you could do the same thing as long as the dash padding is not to think on the 04 Prius.

This is undocumented on what kind of interface it has and what information it can give if anything. I'm sure its just serial communication but I think you might have to activate it somehow. It could be just for programming only and does not output any useful data. I think I will try to get Jim Strong to tell me a little more about it when I get my firmware updated next week.

As far as you trouble code goes, take it into a dealer.

2 people like this.
  6. snookums

snookums Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks very much for the most informative post TheForce. Great answers to all my questions.

I'll ask Toyota how much a blank will cost me and see about re-mounting the Hymotion switch and LED. Saving room of course for the momentary button. I have dozens for these buttons just lying around work from some of the test equipment.

What I think I'll do for the EV button is just splice the line leading from the L5. It looks very much like a splice-clip was used for the pin 27 wire anyway. Un-clipping it and putting a second wire in there should be a 5 minute procedure. Once I get it done I'll post my results (with pix).

That serial port has to be the method for communication with the L5 and uses COM for diagnostic work, probably upgrades too. But I won't mess with it because simple standard commands like "identify yourself" could be "emergency shutdown and discharge" in L5-speak! :p

1 person likes this.
  7. Arthur

Arthur Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If your traction battery's SOC is below 58 or 59% when you shut off your car, you won't be able to avoid the ICE coming on next time you start it up. If you were driving in EV mode before you shut off the car, the SOC should stay higher than that. This problem usually occurs when your L5 battery has been depleted before you shut off the car, especially if you live at the top of a hill. Usually, my SOC is back up to 60% by the time I get to the bottom of my driveway. If you hear some beeping and see a message that says "can't enter EV mode now," that means that your car IS ready to enter EV mode. All you have to do is shut it off and start it back up again.

There are four other possible reasons for the ICE to kick on when you start up your car:

- if you have the CARB update.
    - if you have the update that "fixes" the rear-view camera "problem" (and causes the ICE to start up when you shift into reverse (unless your car is already VERY warmed up)).
    - if you left your defrost button on (the one that has a button on the steering wheel) when you shut off your car. The one on the climate screen (that shows a defrost symbol AND a "blow air on the feet" symbol) CAN be used without triggering the ICE to start.
    - if the traction battery's temperature is too low

The only one that can't be avoided is the last one. If it's too cold, EV mode just isn't going to happen.

The CARB warmup cycle can be avoided by turning off your L5 switch before starting the car and then turning it back on again several seconds AFTER starting the car (but before the ICE comes on).

If you have to back up to get out of your garage or a parking space when you start out in the morning, you can still keep the ICE from coming on. You just need to back up quickly, shift back into DRIVE, and flip on the L5 switch. (You have several seconds, which is usually plenty of time to do this safely, as long as you don't waste any time.)

The effect of the heating/defrosting system is a little complicated. As I said, you never want to leave the defrost button on before shutting off your car. In temperatures that are about 40 degrees F (or above), you can leave the heating/air conditioning system ON and still get into EV mode when you start up. In colder temperatures, you should probably press the OFF button on your climate screen before shutting the car off. Then, when you have started up and gotten into EV mode, you can turn the fan back on.

Again, EV mode is impossible in REALLY cold weather. However, if the temperature is within about 5 degrees F of freezing, you can usually get into EV mode, but not right away. Often, when I am leaving work, I get the beeping message (see above) before I get across the parking lot. So, I just pull over and restart the car to get into EV mode. I'm guessing that this happens because the battery is ALMOST warm enough to allow EV mode, and any small amount of non-EV battery use is enough to warm it up above the critical temperature. Again, none of this is going to work unless you turn your heating system completely off before you shut off your car, and don't turn it back on until AFTER you get into EV mode.

Obviously, none of this is going to work if your windshield is frosted over or fogged up and you HAVE to use the "defrost" button. However, if your windshield is only SLIGHTLY fogged, sometimes the other mode (defrost/feet) is enough to clear it, even without the ICE (if you're a patient person).

Please note that there seems to be a slight difference between "cold EV mode" (when you've been in EV mode since you started the car) and "warm EV mode" (when you enter into EV mode AFTER the ICE has been running. The "warm" mode sometimes seems to be more sensitive to acceleration (in terms of the ICE coming on), especially if you have your heating system on.

I probably sound crazy when talking about driving with the heat off in winter. I like to call it "hat and mittens" mode. :)

In regard to your other question (when your EV mode indicator starts switching between ON and OFF): This is the result of a failed attempt to enter EV mode. This problem usually occurs when you are slowing down from highway speed on your way into town (although it CAN occur any time your ICE has been running and the conditions to enter EV mode are suddenly met). For some reason, the Hymotion system is programmed to continue trying to get into EV mode, even though that appears to be impossible when it is unsuccessful on the first attempt. I went through a long struggle with Hymotion about this. They eventually sent me a data logger so that they could be sure that they knew what I was talking about. In the end, they told me that this is the way the Hymotion system is intended to operate.

It doesn't seem to make any sense. I'm not sure if they really intended it to work this way (which implies that they don't know what they're doing) or if it's just an unintentional mode of operation that occurs as an artifact of a failed attempt to enter EV mode. I was never able to get them to let me talk to anyone who understood enough to answer that question for me.

The bottom line is that, once you get into this weird "EV ON/OFF" mode, the real EV mode will NEVER come on. There are only two ways to get OUT of the ON/OFF mode. You can pull over and restart your car, OR you can (if speed limits and traffic permit) speed up to over 35 mph and then slow back down again. The latter method will ALWAYS get you into EV mode on the second attempt, unless one of the OTHER conditions for EV mode is not being met at that moment. In cold weather, it sometimes helps to shut off your heating system before slowing back down below 35. Then, you can turn it back on, as soon as you're in EV mode.

I usually try to slow down a little early when coming into town, so that I'll have enough room to speed back up, if the first EV mode attempt fails.

The Hymotion people told me that the CAUSE of a failed attempt has to do with the status of some unknown parameter within the Prius system, NOT the Hymotion system.

The other thing to keep in mind is that installing a manual EV mode switch won't entirely solve this problem. From what I've heard "The Force" say, it seems that the manual switch WILL get you into EV mode, but it WON'T get you out of the weird "ON/OFF" mode. That seems fine, if you're always using the manual switch, but not if you're wanting to get back into automatic Hymotion EV operation.

Is that complicated enough for you?

Arthur

2 people like this.
  8. snookums

snookums Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Arthur, complicated doesn't scare me, not knowing does!

The tip about the beeps just after getting going was totally correct. I got about 20-30 feet out of my driveway this morning when I heard the beeps. I pulled over, turned off the car, turned it back on and I was in EV mode. Did most of my driving around xmas shopping in EV mode today thank to that little trick. It also re-enforces my desire for an EV mode button.

As for the weird on/off mode problem, I may have a solution, but my EV button mod is slowly becoming more and more complicated...

Having a manual EV button will allow me to opt-in and out of EV mode, and by hooking it into the L5 wire on pin 27 of the ECU, I can get both manual requests for EV, and regualr L5 operation. Now, if I cut the L5 wire, and splice in a switch, I can turn off/on the L5 requests for EV. If I wire in my EV button behind the loop of the switch, I can keep essentially toggle between manual EV mode, and manual+L5 automatic EV mode. Should be fun! :D

I've also done some reading on the theorized warming Stages of the Prius, and they may be contributing to the EV mode switching. May also explain why in "warm EV mode" the ICE is more sensitive to acceleration.

1 person likes this.
  9. snookums

snookums Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's been a couple of weeks, learned a metric tonne about the Prius and the L5, and I have more questions. ;)

1. The L5 does not make the Prius an electric vehicle
      Ever since I got the car I've been attempting to drive on electric power alone, which was reducing my EV range considerably. I drove home today (in -10c windy weather) and was able to get all the way home before the L5 discharged... not even the 2 red bars. Previously the L5 would shutdown about 5Km from home. I am not getting better mileage yet, but I think with a little practise I can stay under 3L/100Km even during the winter. Can't wait for summer!

2. Cold weather is the devil
      Whilst driving home today, the outside temp was -10c; coldest it's been since I bought the car. Well, since the L5 was constantly assisting the engine, the engine never really works very hard and as a result never warmed up. I got it up to about 65c after my highway jaunt, which wasn't high enough to hit Stage4 hybrid operation!

It was also smart freezing in the cabin since the heater never threw hot air, just luke-warm air! :rant: :canada:

Is that normal for that kind of outdoor ambient temperature? I recently had an issue (check engine; fault code P1116) which relates to the coolant... Toyota has not yet fixed the problem, and is waiting on a reply from Toyota Canada's Technical Support/Engineering Department. If you could reply with what temps you normally record for 30 minutes of highway, that would be very helpful.

I should also mention that I have the upper-grill blocked, but the lower is still open.

3. Pulse and Glide is great, but the L5 is better
      For a week or so I had the L5 turned off (to help the dealership troubleshoot the P1116, and we ruled out the L5 pack as the cause) so I was forced to learn the P&G technique. I've gotten pretty good at it (though I'm never quite sure how fast I should be accelerating), but now that I am using the L5 again; WOW, what a difference.

When I started to use the Prius as a "Vanilla Prius" instead of the "Super Prius" which I bought, I was a little disappointed. But I quickly gained an appreciation for the car and was getting under 4.5L/100Km (roughly the EPA estimate).

Learning the P&G method was great, but is there a modified version of P&G for PHEV conversions to take advantage of the added battery capacity or EV mode?

4. Owning a ScanGaugeII makes everything more fun!
      It also means I pay too little attention to the road sometimes. :eek:
      Forget talking on a cell phone... trying to get a natural feel for the car/pack.

Having the XGauges programmed for Damps and EV mode are absolutely necessary for driving the L5; I don't think I'd be able to do it without the SG2.

how many amps/damps can the traction battery and the L5 pull down? I've noticed that if I go over about 20-25 damps that the flow will reverse (charge the traction) for a while after I let my foot up a bit. Is the L5 charging the traction battery?

Here's my theory, please correct me if I'm way off base:
      The traction battery and the L5 both normally allow for about 20-25 damps, but when you go over that limit, the ECU will re-charge the battery quickly instead of waiting for the next "cruising" opportunity. So during that "re-charge" phase, the L5 is spinning the electric motor to propel the car and the electric motor is acting as a generator to charge the traction battery; meaning I'm losing all sorts of juice in the conversion. This also explains why my EV range seems much lower than my electric-assisted range.

How close am I?

You guys have been great, I don't think I'd be as well informed as I am.
    Thanks! :rockon:

10. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    If the OAT is < 65F you shouldn't have any problems with a full grill block. And since you have a SG2 you can keep an eye on the temps. If the fWT gauge goes above 200F (translate that to C as necessary) then open it up a bit. I have a 2004 Gen 2 (live in Michigan) and have had a full grill block (well...I left the very bottom slot open) since the end of September and have had zero problems with overheating.

The goal is to get the coolant temp above 157F and keep it there. That will put you into S4 (after a stop-idle check). Running the heater will delay or even prevent that from happening. If you're running on the freeway with/full grill block and the engine running constantly you should be able to run the heater on a low fan setting at 70-75F and still keep the coolant temp high enough. Running the heater at a high temp with high fan setting will suck the heat out of the engine VERY quickly.

11. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Another trick that I found works well with my conversion (PICC, not Hymotion, but it should still work) is to use the "Recirculate Air" option on the climate screen when the heater is on. This draws air from inside the vehicle instead of air from outside the vehicle. I have observed that on this setting the heater doesn't cool off the engine as quickly because it is heating already pre-warmed air instead of ice cold air from outside.

One annoying thing is that you have to keep pressing the recirculation button every time you turn the heater on and off (or switch from defrost to heater). I wish there was a way to make it default to recirculation in the winter...

Andrew