1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Care to share any your special Driving tips?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Mar 2, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For those who have figured out how to get above average mileage?

First of all, Please state your average mpg on a typical tank before starting the questions. "needs to be above 50mpg"

1. How fast do you accelerate to get to the speed limit? "baby it, or do you get on with it?"

2. Do you have an EV switch and do you use it, and if so how?

3. How far are your commutes?

4. At what speeds to you typically travel.....ie: over 60 or do you hang out and with flirt with grandma on the freeway?

5. What is your terrain like?

6. Are your commutes rural or city?

7. What Brand of Gas do you use? "and any special octane?"

8. Any modifications we need to know about?...like what type of gasoline additive or nitro do you use? :D

9. Is your car broke in?.. how many miles are on it?

10. Do you typically drive alone, or are thier others in the car with you?

11. What tire psi pressure do you run?

12. Do you run your oil at the full mark or 1/4 inch below?

13. Do you use synthetic oil or other than typical 5W/30? "and what brand"

14. How long or how many years have you been working on your technique?

15. Weather temp is very important, but not something we can alter or change.. feel free to add that if you want for good to know info.

16. Whats your approx Elevation associated with your driving stats?

Hopefully we can all compare. :)

P.S...If we add extra items to the end, everyone can edit thier own posts if they want and also address those "added to the end" items.

2. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

I would also add:

* What climate?
    * Heavy traffic ? (on the highway it actually creates less wind drag)
    * Elevation is a factor too.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i only have a sec... incubation is almost over... but my philosophy is this:

use the gas engine sparingly and to its greatest capacity.

aka step on it, get to speed, and lay off. i blow most sports cars off the line.

nice temps lately are getting me 50.5, still on the rise even at 220 miles on this tank :D

4. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    please define "average"

5. HybridVigor

HybridVigor New Member

1. How fast do you accelerate to get to the speed limit? "baby it, or do you get on with it?"
    Midway. My mpg during acceleration is typically in the 9-19 range.
    No EV switch
    15-20 miles, morning and evening.
    4. At what speeds to you typically travel.
    30-45 mph.
    Very flat, 1200 ft elevation, give or take. Phoenix Arizona means winter temps in the 40-70 degree F range, Summer temps are 100-115 deg F.
    City surface streets
    Standard 87 Octane, usually Chevron.
    8. Any modifications we need to know about?...like what type of gasoline additive or nitro do you use?
    No
    I'm just under 10,000 miles. I think I saw a break-in increase around 3000 miles.
    I drive alone during my commute.
    42-44 PSI, all four tires are OEM Integrities.
    At, or just below the full mark
    Synthetic 5W/30. Usually Mobil-1. Both oil changes have been at Toyota, so far.
    6-months.

In my opinion the biggest single contributor to good mileage is length of trip. I find that I don't even get back to my starting mileage each day until about 20 minutes into my commute. Any short trip I take is a killer, and can easily knock a mile per gallon off of my tank average, so I try to combine trips when possible. Second biggest contributor is keeping speeds in high mileage range (25-40 mph) with good pulse and glide techniques: glide as far as you can, traffic permitting, hopefully from 40 mph down to 28 or 29 mph if you can. After these two, the most influential elements for me are air temperature, weight in car, tire pressures. I don't think that changing acceleration methods makes any real difference.
    --edit: For those reading this and comparing, keep in mind that Phoenix may be the optimal mileage grounds, and my commute may also be nearly optimal: Flat, warm weather, surface streets, commute over 10 miles. As of the time of this post, my summer mileage has been 50-55 mpg, my winter mileage 58-63 mpg. If I moved to somewhere cold and hilly, say...Colorado, and lived 5 miles from work, I'd expect my mileage to be more like... 45-47 maybe?
    **add-on based on request in later post in-thread: my mileage numbers, as reported to greenhybrid.com are based on my pumped gas calculations. MFD mileage has been fairly consistently 1-3 mpg higher(!) No good idea why yet though.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My LMPG is ~57.5 right now
    My average tank is probably 57mpg but varies from mid-40s (rare) to low 60s (summer only).

*sorry guys, I've previewed and reviewed this and can't figure out why my quotes aren't working....

Have in the past, will again, but in a much less detailed way. The most important of these I've elaborated on in the past and I think you're familiar with my philosophy.

Moderately fast...Trying to keep RPM in the 2600-3000 range.

I've detailed this recently and I'm 99% sure you've read it. If someone knows where the thread is a link here would be appropriate b/c I really don't want to reiterate the whole thing.

~10miles RT for kid's school/daycare
    ~26miles RT for work

I've had a few dates with some very nice elderly ladies....I stick to the speed limit for the most part. My regular route has no zones over 45mph speed limit...I average 39mph (see my 39mph secret thread)

Rolling hills in the SW Missouri Ozark mountains...about 1200 ft. elevation.

half and half

cheapest I can find.

Engine block heater and EV button are the only ones that would affect FE.

Just over 40k miles...yes, it's broken in

Alone on work commute, with kids one way twice daily to their school when I take them.

42f/40r on Michellin HydroEdge

It's slightly below the "Max" mark...I always put in 3.5 quarts.

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W/30

2 years, 4+ months

7. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Slowly as possible. Typically try for over 25 seconds 0-60. Except when trying to use stealth, some harder acceleration is necessary for good stealth swichovers.

Yes. Many posts here. But depends on conditions, except I use it daily at end of trips.
    Has no real effect on daily mileage except in these special conditions like some traffic jams where it helps a lot. Sometimes gains me over 5 mpg.

12 miles

4. At what speeds to you typically travel.....ie: over 60 or do you hang out and with flirt with grandma on the freeway?

35 mph on small roads, 55 on freeway. Up to 70 mph sometimes but only in warm weather and on a trip.. Never in winter.

Flat and small hills.

Closer to city. Congested with traffic usually.
    In commute stops at maybe 8 traffic lights.

Any octane Shell. Usually regular. Exxon or Mobil sometimes.

8. Any modifications we need to know about?...like what type of gasoline additive or nitro do you use? biggrin.gif

None except block heater and radiator blocker for winter.
    Canview to control what I am doing.
    Minimum heat and AC usage.

over 15,000 miles.

alone.

42/40.

At the full mark to 1/8 inch below.

Mobil 1 synthetic. 5W/30

1 year plus.

Typical tank mpg winter = 48 mpg (temps 15 deg to 40 deg typ.)
    Typical summer mpg = 55 mpg (temps over 50 deg F but under 85 deg so no AC)
    Typical summer mpg with AC = 52 mpg (when it is really hot.)
    Best tank ever = 59 mpg

8. mitchbf

mitchbf New Member

Care to share any your special Driving tips?[/b]

I usually accelerate quickly if there are cars behind me otherwise I'll baby it a bit.

No EV switch

I commute 80 miles a day

I probably average around 70 mph. I peak at 75

I'm in Illinois so it is nice and flat

It is a city commute and almost all highway

I'm with Evan, I use whatever is cheapest. I don't think it matters.

8. Any modifications we need to know about?...like what type of gasoline additive or nitro do you use? :D

Only additive is coffee on the way to work. That goes in my tank, not the Prius'

I'm coming up on 15,000 miles

I'm alone

42 F and 40 R. I think that's what it says on the door...

I'm at full or slightly under

I've used Mobil 1 5W/30 since it first came out. Great stuff!

Are we still talking about driving? :rolleyes:

I was getting 49 - 51 mpg in warmer weather and now I'm at 43 - 45 mpg. Better on Hwy too!

9. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With the below conditions I usually get around 60-62 mpg on my work commute and on trips around 15 minutes, and 55 mpg on trips shorter than that (in warmer weather). Cold temps (below snowflake) it drops about 5 mpg. Combined, my wife and I get around 54-55 (current tank at 54.7) with her doing multiple less than 5 minutes trips on the days I don't drive to work.

I usually try to get up to speed pretty quickly, but not floor it. I would say moderately fast. Between 10 & 20 mpg for the first 30 mph or so.

No EV :(

My commute to work is about 12-13 miles and takes 25 minutes. Around town it is usually a 10-15 minute drive to most of the places I go.

I usually drive the speed limit, which is 40-65. Most of the trip (10 miles is 40-45) with some on the highway (2 miles).

Nice and flat. I can see stoplights from a long ways off usually.

Mostly city and I try to stay on the surface streets and off the interstate or loops.

Whichever gas is cheapest. I think regular is 86 octane.

8. Any modifications we need to know about?...like what type of gasoline additive or nitro do you use? biggrin.gifNone

Yes, a little over 30K

To work, alone. Around town, with wife.

42 front/40 rear

Full mark

5w-30 or 10w-30, I think Quaker State. Whatever oil the dealership uses. I have been requesting 5w-30, but receipts still says 10w.

Hard to say. The first probably 8 months, I tried to just get up to speed and use the cruise control. About 6 months ago, I tried to avoid the cruise control and go all natural. It seem like natural gave a 3-5mpg boost. I pretty much always tried to coast up to lights and use the electric only when going at low speeds like in parking lots or on the last 1/4 mile to house. My main things have been to try and learn the lights so I know when I will make a light and when I won't. With the flat elevation, sometimes, I can get a good 1/4 of a mile of coasting up to a light and never completely lose my momentum.

Climate and traffic (I try to avoid 5pm traffic--although there are a lot of people that love to speed up to the light and hit their brakes) are generally both conducive to good MPG. The summers are warm 100 degrees for a month or two and can have several months of 30 degrees, but most of the time it is between 55 and 85. I only use the heater when absolutely necessary (i.e. to save my wife from freezing to death or to keep the windows unfogged) and hardly ever use the A/C (only to save my marriage). It really is ideal conditions, except for maybe a slightly longer commute (on colder days).

Edited: Put MPG on top.

10. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have been getting 50-51 according to the car computer for the past 2 weeks. My worst tank ever was 45 (first tank). I drive pretty normally, with most traffic in the LA area. I have 2 or 3 major hills on the 210 freeway. Whenever I see traffic slowing down, I begin to coast down and sometimes, dont even use the brakes in stop and go traffic, just idle along at whatever speed we are creeping along at. I seem to get the best mileage when I ignore the display, and just drive. One help I have on my 45 mile each way commute is that the last 2 miles are slight downhill in a 35 zone, which everybody does 50 in. It usually boost the mpg numbers on final approach to my house. Just drive and enjoy it. Even if you are moving along smartly, you're still doing better than most cars, mpg-wise. Don't obsess over the big numbers. My car has just over 3100 miles since new Jan 12. I'm usually on the road about 2 hours a day, at speeds from 0 to 80.

11. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Acceleration to speed limit
    Moderate to 44 mph.
    2. EV Switch
    none
    3. Commute Distance
    45 km (30 mi)
    4. Typical speed
    66 mph on highway, 45 mph on older highway, 30 mph on surface streets
    5. Terrain
    100 m elevation, flat to slightly rolling
    6. Rural or city?
    one-third highway, two-thirds rural
    7. Brand of gas
    Valero (formerly Beacon)
    8. Modifications
    Engine block heater, Sirius Satellite radio
    9. Broken in?
    Just turned 21k mi
    10. Drive alone?
    95% of the time
    11. Tire psi?
    42/40
    12. Oil at full mark or below?
    Just below. I change my own oil, dealer always overfills.
    13. Oil type
    Mobil 1, synthetic

14. Years of working on technique?
    15+, starting with a 1991 Toyota 4Runner
    15. Climate
    Semiarid, mesothermal (cool winters, warm summers, summer moisture deficit, Index of Moisture = 0.33 to 0.66). Lowest winter temperatures -3°C (27°F).

Significant fuel economy change at 12k mi. Winter mpg avg. 45 to 52. Summer mpg avg 60-62. Fuel economy tracked in detail using an Excel spreadsheet. Cumulative fuel economy = 50 mpg.

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I added weather and elevation, although it something we cannot alter or change, its still good to know... the other is already included.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I set the parameters as being above 50mpg...although 45 is also awesome... some have learned special tricks or have special environments that allow even more than 50 "average". Everybody gets it occasionally for a few minutes, but those who can get it on an average tank are doing something special.

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great!...now I have an excuse to show off!

15. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

"Get on with it." Merging on the highway, I usually step half way on gas. Gets to 60 to 65mph pretty fast.

Nope, no EV.

20 miles one way.

60 to 70 mph on high way (70%), and 30 to 40 on local (30%).

Some hills, about a mile.

Rural.

Usually Shell in NJ, since they don't add ethanol in NJ. NY gas is 10% ethanol, which gets worse mileage.

CAN-View and mud flaps.

I think so, 20k miles.

Alone.

42/40

Half way between full and empty marks.

Mobil 1 syn 5W30

Hm... since start driving this car, which is June 05. :lol:

15. Weather temp is very important, but not something we can alter or change.. feel free to add that if you want for good to know info.

As everybody already knows, temp is directly proportional to the mileage. Outside temp's been in the lower 30's. MPG's been around 45-46. If temp goes into 40's and 50's, I can easily get low 50MPG.

16. Whats your approx Elevation associated with your driving stats?

Elevation? I donno... :blink: This is a Prius, not an airplane! :D :p

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I will add my bit:

Well I push it a bit but now that I have the CAN View I keep it under 1.5 gal / hr. I will let you know if this is a good idea

I have Costal EV Mod. I mainly use it in to circumstances. First and foremost at the end of a trip when I am parking it for long enough that I know it will cool off. Second when I am in a situation that I can not put the car in Stealth or Glide mode. I have not decided weather this is the speed, temperature, battery state including temp, or what? If I am at a slow enough speed, and I usually am, I turn on EV that lets me go into stealth.

About 10 miles at 35 - 30 mph each way.

on the freeway I do the speed limit. I find it is better to go 1 or 2 over or under rather than the speed limit. I use cruse control on the freeway. For the rest I look for routs that are under 40 mph.

Lots of hills. I avoid long ups and downs for rolling terrain.

Depends on if you live in New York City or Wolf Creek Montana ( any one read "A River Runs Through It") I call it Suburban. I would guess that a lot of people in big cities would call it rural but I do get into traffic close to work. I would never call it city.

Union 76 and the same dealer for the most part.

8. Any modifications we need to know about?...like what type of gasoline additive or nitro do you use?
    Block Heater. Radiator Blocker of my own design. No chemicals despite the fact that I am a Hippie, Better Living Through Chemistry. I do have the CAN View since January and had the ScanGage starting last summer. Knowing what the car is doing is a big help!

25K+

Mostly alone some times with a Newf and or a wife.
    42/40

Below

Mobile 1 5W/30

That is tough. For about the first year I mainly used cruse control everywhere. I have 2 numb feet as a result of back surgery ( and no I don't regret it, I had so much pain I could not work) and I never thought I could develope the sensitively on the gas to coast and glide. I hung around 50 to 51 mpg. In August I read about the 110 mpg marathon in Pittsburg. I felt challenged so I have been learning to feather the gas and my gas milage has gone way up. My life time average has gone up every month since. If I can do it with 2 numb feet anyone can do it. Oh P.S. I was always picked last for everything I am not an athlete.

15. Climate: Marine Climate or that is what I learned in school think England, Ireland they feel the effects of the Gulf stream turning down from the arctic. We have the Japanese Current same thing. Very moderate 60-80 Summer warm not hot low humidity. Winter moderate rare freezing temps in the high 30s to 40s. A few episodes of snow.

16. Traffic: At night but it is not bad on the routs I use.

17. Elevation well start at 257 ft and end at 217 according to the USGS. Lots of rolling hills in between. Basically sea level.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    1. depends. if traffic is heavy, relatively slowly or whatever to maintain larger than normal following distance if will be in typical stop and go.

2. yes. i use it if moving car and for last ¼ mile or so of trip when i know i will be parked, like when going to work or home for the night

3. about 7.5 miles to work

4. speed limit. commute to work is mostly 35 mph. most freeway driving done at 60-65 mph unless south of olympia, then its 70 mph

5. rolling hills, valleys all kinds. no huge changes but very little that is flat for more than a few miles

6. mostly city but do take routes during times of day when traffic is likely to be low. and...

ahhhh heck with this.

this is the story. if you are going somewhere that is 50 miles away and it takes an hour to get there, your average speed will be 50 mph. barring moderate changes in elevation, the more time you spend going faster or slower than your average will hurt your mileage.

watch your instaneous mileage inidicator. notice what your mileage is when you accelerate. i dont care how fast or slow you do it. if you do it VERY slow, mileage will probably be 20-25 mpg. if you do it fast, its 10-15 mpg... see what i mean???

not a lot of difference there is there?? accelerate to 40 mph from 35 mph and see what happens ....same thing.

but drive 60 mph down the freeway.. what happen??? 50-60 mpg or more... how does that happen??? much more wind friction and all that crap right???

so that is the story. do what ever you need to do to maintain your speed as constant as possible.

obviously in any trip you will vary from your average speed a little or a lot. remember that EVERY second of variance KILLS

try it. accelerate to ANY speed from ANY speed and do it without letting instaneous mileage drop below 50 mpg... let me know how it goes...

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok Dave... thanks for sharing some of your tactics... let me see If I'm absorbing what your trying to say..

It sounds like you are saying that speed must be constant?... my first thought is that true you take a loss to gain speed back, but when you slow you also gain mpg?

So you must be saying that the energy you gain through regen while "losing speed" is less than the energy cost to get that speed back when you accelerate back to your cruising speed again?

I'm not sure what your point is in that last statement "to accelerate to any speed from any speed and do it without letting mileage drop to 50?"... is that even possible?

At least with my car.. I dont' think I can accelerate and maintain a mpg of 50 or better?
    Maybe this can be done with some practice... I haven't tried yet.

Can you please elaborate one more time?

This is an interesting concept you have brought up I have not heard that I think merits attention.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For those who haven't stated it, I'd like to know if the mpg figures you're citing are those from actual calculations or from the MFD/trip computer.

20. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

From the MFD, but Ihave checked it over a full 10 or more tanks so I know it is accurate to 0.5%.
    Tank fills I've gotton 70 mpg tanks but I know that is totally bogus. There is way too much variation in how much the tank holds.

Regarding Dave's technique: I agree varying speed is bad, at least when travelling over 42 mph.
    This causes more battery charge and discharge which adds to the losses with no compensating benefits since engine has to keep turning anyways.

I do think some speed variance is ok due to hills though. I think holding a constant throttle where possible is better than cruise control.