1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carfax error

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dirtnapper, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So, I went out to the dealer today to look at the Prius '11. Did the routine of what I was looking for, test drive etc, and they checked out my 07 Prius while I was gone. Get back, and now for the dreaded "sharp pencil" routine with the sales person. Shock, for trade they wanted to give $7,500; pointing out the the Carfax had the car involved in rear end collision, I was the one supposedly doing the rear ending; all wrong. The car was parked, a guy was pulling out, scrapped the bumper - about a 3" scratch, fled the scene, almost hit me, he jumped a curb to leave the lot, struck another car on the way out, etc.. The carfax had me as the culprit! I was somewhat able to convince the salesperson, told him to go next door to their repair shop and pull the bill. To the point, trying to get to the origin of who filed the carfax was such a ride. My report, the police report and my agent were all correct. The insurance company realized they made the error! Now, they are going to see "what we can do" to correct it. It is as if it was chiseld in stone and cannot be corrected, at my expsnse! I do not want another person buying to be misled, and I cerntainly do not want to loose monie$ on my trade. Anyone else ever encounter something like this?

PS: Once the issue of the repair was understood, I got a trade in value of $10,500, that carfax error was costing $3,000!

2. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have really much help in this, Though I can say I've delt with a carfax error before.

In 1999 I drove a 89 Ford Mustang, and was hit while entering a parking lot (with the stop light) by someone cutting across the lot, and going way too fast.
    My car was a total loss, and insurance paid me, took the car and all was well.

About 4 moths later I recieved a letter that My Drivers license was going to be suspended for non-paid parking tickets. Tickets that were issued in a town i had never been in. I called my insurance company and they had to do a force title change and all was taken car of.

Though about a year later i had purchased a new car and had carfax (ahh i miss the unlimited reports) so i ran some old VINs I had and that old mustang was issued a clean title!

Anyway... I'm sure your insurance company will be able to sort it all out.... Hopefully it won't take too long!
    Good Luck!

3. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Carfax reports should be taken with a grain of salt. With Dirtnapper's issue, it's clear someone reported it wrong and those things can take time to fix. Hope they can clear up that problem for you.

I recently bought a used Prius (getting it tomorrow) and I bought 5 Carfax reports. I used 4 of them during my search and had one left over. I decided to run my own car and it's missing information.

Two years ago, a deer T-boned me at 75 MPH. Yes, the deer T-boned ME! The entire left side of my car was damaged and the total cost of the repair bill was $4000. It was brought to a repair facility my insurance company approved of but this was nowhere to be found on the Carfax report.

I think sometimes people get a false sense of security when viewing a Carfax report.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had no idea a deer could run that fast. :eek:

5. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :deadhorse::car: Let me clarify. Exhibit "A" hit exhibit "B" or something like that ;)

6. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Double post

7. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think there is a misconception of what a CarFax report is for. It does not care about who was at fault, only the extent of the damage. In your case, there was an obvious error in the data entry regarding this. I had a jerk back into my car in a parking lot. I filed a police report, and sure enough, CarFax showed that my car had been in an accident, reducing the resale value by about $650 (it is a Saab). As an aside, when we recover damages from the insurance company, it is only for the physical repair to the car, not the reduced value. I wonder if the other party can be sued for the diminished value.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Deer have been clocked at over 140 mph, dropped from a helicopter.

Tom

9. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My mistake ... I thought he was t-boned on the side, not the roof.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Perhaps he was driving on his side?

I stole that line. It was one of my favorites from Dave Barry, who said:
    Tom