1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo area questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DanceFam, Jun 11, 2009.

1. DanceFam

DanceFam New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Quick cargo area questions for the 2010 model owners: is it possible to completely remove the rear cargo floor (and leave it in your garage temporarily, for example) to make maximum use of the cargo space, as is possible in the earlier-year models? Also, Toyota lists cargo capacity in the 2010 model at ~20 cubic feet, up from ~15 cubic feet. Is this a noticeable difference to you? Thanks!

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is no different in that respect. You can remove the floor in the same fashion. The underlying tray is a bit different in shape, but the overall effect is much the same.

It is noticeably different -- wider, primarily. I think there may be a bit more height, also, but that is due more to the fact the "hump" has been moved much farther toward the back of the car.

By the way: Nice first post and Welcome to PriusChat!

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It must be cavernous in there compared to a GII!

Pearl just carried a 43" Plasma TV (laid on it's back in the original shipping box) about 1000 km. Still had 6" on each side and enough room behind for a large suitcase and other luggage! Both sides of rear seat were folded, and cargo cover was stored under the cargo floor. Both driver and passenger had "full normal room" up front, but I was relieved when the TV was delivered and I got my car back (from being a truck ;) )!

No damage to cargo or car!

4. DanceFam

DanceFam New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Cargo area questions (and other interior space issues)

Thank you a priori! This was my final question before I make a deposit with the dealer for my order. I haven't test driven the 2010 but based on my experiences renting 2008 and 2009 models (and finding that I could put all my suitcases and coolers in those models by removing the floor and then stacking everything in all the way up to the rear window -- even with the rear seats up and usable for passengers) and by reading the positive impressions of the 2010 by PriusChat members, I'm ready to take the plunge!

All the better for putting in lots of suitcases!

Thank you for your quick response and for the welcome! Much better than talking to a dealer, and I can see PriusChat will be an excellent community of friends!

By the way, speaking of interior space issues, I did sit in the driver's seat of a 2010 in Santa Monica CA a couple weekends ago and found that my right knee did NOT hit up against the center console, as some posters seem to be worried about (it fit underneath). I'm 6' tall. If I put my right foot flat on the floor in front of me however (as if I were relaxing while cruise control was on on the highway) the right side of my knee did lean up against the center console...). Not sure if this would bother me or not.

Thanks again.