1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo Box

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Marianne444, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Marianne444

Marianne444 New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I recently installed the OEM roof bars on my '21 Prius Prime. I went to put on our Thule cargo box and realized that the roof bars are too wide to accommodate the U bolts that attach the box. Do I need to buy a new box? Any recommendations for boxes that feature U bolts wide enough to accommodate the bars?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you contact thule?

3. Marianne444

Marianne444 New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just heard back from them. I either need to get a different box or different bars.
    Anyone have any good suggestions for bars for a 21 Prius Prime that accommodate a U bolt system OR a roof box that fits with the OEM bars?

bisco likes this.
  4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here's a 10 minute video from etrailer.com . At timestamp 3:50 Angeline shows one and talks about the box U-bolts. At the 5 minute mark she talks about the types of rail bars and what measurements are important to know about your rig if your going to ask them, or anyone I'd suspect, for suggestions.
    https://videos.etrailer.com/static/images/video/facet-category-roof-box.webm

Which part of the U-bolts on your box are too small or don't fit around the Toyota bars?

bisco and sylvaing like this.
  5. Marianne444

Marianne444 New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks! It's the whole bolt that doesn't fit. The width of the U (the spread between the arms) is too narrow to go up and around the bars. It doesn't seem like there's much in terms of options besides a new box or new bars... so just trying to think what the most suitable / affordable option is.

6. peter89436

peter89436 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I drilled new holes in box.