1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cargo cover underside protection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bill Merchant, May 17, 2005.

1. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:7d60f55e37]I pulled the cargo cover back, to latch it, with dirty hands. Now the white fabric (?) underside is dirty. I can probably clean it with upholstery cleaner, but does anyone have a good idea how to keep it clean?

I\'m thinking maybe white or clear contact plastic, but I\'d appreciate any suggestions. As often as one uses the cover, I was a bit surprised how easily it gets soiled.[/font:7d60f55e37]

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    make sure the plastic is flexible cause it'll have to roll up with the cover unless you mean the plastic just to cover the area where you grasp the cover.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

it's on my list of things to clean when I detail the wifes car after washing it. I use a cleaner called Chomp spray on let sit 5-10 minutes and wipe off. It's clean again.

4. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"90112)</div>
    [font=Comic Sans MS:7387811fbf]
    I only want to protect the back of the stiff panel. Even if grunge gets on the flexible part, it disappears when it rolls up. The top surface is an easy-to-clean plastic, but the bottom is white (!) cloth, I think.

I don't have Chomp, but I'm sure a foam upholstery cleaner will get it looking like new without wetting it too much. I want to keep it looking like new.[/font:7387811fbf]

5. Frank Hudon

the other thing you might consider is making a D shaped panel out of black or brown Naugahyde and hot melt gluing it on the bottom of the sun shade. Right where you grab it with your hand to prevent further accumulation of grunge. I know what you mean though it looks kinda tacky with a grungy spot under the middle of it.

6. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:98651229ba]I got some "brushed steel" self-adhesive plastic from a local store and carefully cut out a fitted panel. Now the underside of the hard panel is easy to clean and also looks good when it's up.[/font:98651229ba]

7. Frank Hudon

Nice, hell no, great! I like that a lot. I'll probably do with the wifes car.