1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cargo hauling

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SSimon, Sep 14, 2006.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i'm set to pick up a shrub order from my nursery and i ordered an oak tree that's about 10 feet tall. anyone have experience driving with their hatch somewhat open (maybe six inches) but secured tightly? i would fold the seats and have the top of the tree sticking out of the partially closed hatch. I know my mpg will suffer. i just don't want problems or damage to my vehicle. is this a bad idea?

2. benighted

benighted New Member

You shouldn't have any problems except maybe the MFD freaking out and telling you the car will not charge in N(eutral)

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Sep 14 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]319631[/snapback]</div>
    What does Neutral have to do with it?
    It's about 8.5' from dash to hatch, might get another foot by angling it. I don't see any problems.
    BTW, my white oak tree grew over 3 feet this year (it had died back to the root when I planted it in 2003).

4. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Sep 14 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]319637[/snapback]</div>
    hey, nefer! i'll be scared but i'll rely on the posts here that no damage to the car will be recognized. thanks!

i read that many people (including myself) have a misconception of the growth rate of oaks. 3 feet is incredible. the faster mine grows, the faster i'll get over the guilt of cutting down the huge norway maple. i opted for a chinkapin oak. would've rathered a bur but not enough land. oh well.

thanks guys. now i'll have to investigate how to secure the hatch properly. this should be fun....

5. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Sep 14 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]319637[/snapback]</div>
    If any doors, including the rear hatch, are open when you put the car in gear you will get the "triangle of doom" and a message on the MFD that says "Caution. Please press 'P'. The battery will not charge if the transaxle is in Neutral"

So it really doesn't have anything to do with neutral, its just a Quirk of the MFD.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, there'll be some warning stuff up there, but it's not a problem. i had a 2x4 sticking out the tunk a few months ago for a short drive from the hardware store, with the hatch tied down on top of it, with no problems.

7. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 14 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]319694[/snapback]</div>
    how did you secure the hatch. i know there's a little loop thingy on the bottom of the hatch door. can i thread rope thru that and to what do i secure this to on the bottom or fender of the car?

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, use the steel loop on the bottom of the hatch (where the door locks). to secure it from there, you can go either under the car to the tie down points (there is one point near each corner of the car, probably something like a foot back) or alternatively to the metal cargo net loops in the trunk floor. Given that your car would be full, i'd stick with the tie down locations. If i remember right, one side (drivers side, maybe?) has a plastic cover of sorts that you can slide your hand over, and the metal tie down location juts out through a gap in that, it might be the easiest way to find one so you know what you're looking for on the other corner.

The important thing to remember is you aren't really tieing it tight, or going very fast over a bumpy road... generally when hauling with the trunk open you take it a bit easier, making the tie down less critical.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just make sure you have something red hanging at the tip of the tree (or whatever is hanging out of the car). There is a place you can tie the string or rope down underneath the car. I believe it's on the opposite side of the muffler.

10. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    thanks guys. i'll look for tie downs under the car. big help as i hadn't a clue..........

11. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Sep 14 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]319661[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. Learn something new every day.

Those tie downs under the car are actually for the tow hooks, if I understand the description. There are smaller tie-downs inside the car, but you can use whatever works best.

Good luck with the tree! Soil should be wet enough to plant it! The chinkapin has interesting leaves.