1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo net? Cargo tote?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tmgrl3, Aug 13, 2006.

1. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I remember ordering a cargo something for $50 when I bought my car...neither the cargo net nor the cargo tote came in when my car came...and it wasn't on my "final" bill. They are now trying to get a cargo net for me since I have the four rings already installed in the cargo area for it.

My thought was that if I put my hubby's transport chair back there, the cargo net would keep it more secore from rolling toward the back hatch.

Anyone have this Toyota accessory? I store some things in a plastic bin, so don't think I want /need the cargo tote.

terri

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't see the cargo net being $50 unless that included dealer installation. (and you can install it yourself easily, plus it's probably cheaper if purchased somewhere else.)

There are two kinds of nets, one is vertical and is doubled so there is a pocket. It clips on to two rings on the floor and two that need to be installed farther up the hatch opening.

The other kind is a horizontal net, sometimes referred to as a spider net. It clips on to the four rings on the floor of the cargo area.

I have both nets. They are good for different purposes. I to like the vertical one to keep things from coming out the back.

I have a tote, in fact two. I like them.

3. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 13 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]302661[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! I have the four rings...on the floor, I believe...I will check. Tomorrow, I'll ask at service....
    I already paid...it was in my original offer...but somehow, I think I ordered the tote ....I should be able to get a refund on my credit card.

terri

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    $50 is WAY to much for a tote. You can get a tote for half that.

Sounds like whatever it is you bought and paid for you not only didn't get, but they overcharged you for it. (Are you sure it isn't the cargo floor mat?)

5. snoopdogg

snoopdogg New Member

We got the cargo net and cargo tote with our 06 along with a couple of other worthless options in a "premium package"; the only reason I agreed to these blatant ripoffs were that the dealer reduced the price of the car to just below MSRP of the car without the package (so in essence, they were "free" plus we could get that car on the spot). Interestingly, they were listed on the sticker, which means they came port installed, not dealer installed.

The cargo net is a good investment; I use it all the time. The cargo tote is a piece of junk; we couldn't even sell ours for half off.

6. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Here is a picture of a cargo net that I purchased a long time ago from PepBoys. I've had it stowed away for over 8 years (I originally bought it for my MB SL. It didn't fit) in the trunk of my car. When I saw that there were hooks in my new Prius, I immediately thought about this cargo net. It fit great![attachmentid=4476]

7. rg3design.com

rg3design.com Junior Member

Vinny,

I have one of those, too. They're great especially when going to a wholesale store like BJ's or Costco. All my stuff will stay put. I think I found mine on Ebay for like $20 or so. I highly recommend them.

8. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 13 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]302646[/snapback]</div>
    I am not sure what you call a transport chair. If it is a wheel chair then fold it flat and a net will probably hold it. If it is a motorised chair then I would not rely on a cargo net to secure it. A net would stop it from rolling back but in the event of an accident it may move forward.
    Get four straps and secure them to the four tie down rings and each corner of the chair. Use straps with a ratchet tightening feature so that the chair can be securely anchored.

9. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, I think the four rings are for the tie down straps that come with the car for when you have to change your tire. A full size tire will not fit in the emergency tire slot. However, I do not recall seeing a $50 charge for that when I got my Prius.

10. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought the envelope-style cargo net off Ebay when I first got the car, but haven't even taken it out of the packaging yet. I use the cargo tote every day. It's quite helpful when carrying bags of groceries (or anything that will fit in it actually!) in the cargo area of the car.

11. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I finally got the vertical cargo net. Agreed I paid too much, but it was paid for.

I do love it, though. I wind up having lots of small bags when I shop, some with things that roll around and fall out, so I simply spread apart the cargo net and put them upright there and they hold beautifully!!

terri

12. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Sep 11 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]318020[/snapback]</div>

Case Logic has a cargo tote (Folding Cargo Bag, AT040) for $14.99. Bed, Bath & Beyond carries them, which is where I got mine. I was going to get one for the SO's 05 but she didn't want one...go figure! I may just go back and get another for myself!

Later
    ITW

13. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I also have the cargo net. I had one on my car before Trixie, a Mazda MPV and I loved it then and love it now. I keep a basket in the back for a blanket, a jacket and some car towels.

14. billyboy

billyboy Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 13 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]302646[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sitting down?

Cargo nets are spelled RIP OFF! I got one in my current Eclipse as part of the "premium" package.

Now as to what it is. It looks very much like a ping-pong table net. It attaches on 4 hooks and costs Toyota maybe $1.00 to purchase. It just divides the cargo area and I guess prevents stuff from sliding around. I kept in the car for maybe a couple days.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends which. I find vertical nets more convenient than the horizontal one you speak off.

16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Here's a tip for stopping things from sliding around on the carpet in the hatch. Purchase a roll of the rubber mesh used for tool boxes. Cut it about 1 foot longer than the hatch carpet is wide. Fold the ends under the carpet. Now boxes etc. will not slide from side to side when you drive. Easy to remove when cleaning the carpet too. It's still a good idea to use the net - just in case of a violent event. Don't want a cargo shaped dent in your head!

roflwaffle likes this.
  17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't know what the transport chair looks like but may be you could secure it with bungie cords to the four "tire hold downs" that are already there? That might work better than a net and large bungie cords are very strong and cheap. If the chair is really heavy you might want something stronger than a net or bungie cords for safety.

BTW a very nice cargo net came with my Honda Accord at no extra cost. I think they should be provided with any car that has fold down rear seats.

18. practica

practica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota is carrying a fabric tote from Nifty Cargo Logic. This is made for use with a special cargo liner and accessories they make, not carried by Toyota. The liner mates with velcro and they have "LOK" velcro-bottomed chock blocks to hold the tote etc. in place (misleadingly shown in photos of the tote, not supplied with it).
    The supplied permanent lining of the Prius trunk also mates with velcro, but gets torn up when removing it. Cargo Logic does not supply it's molded liner for the 2010 Prius.
    A generic removable carpet rubber backed mat is cheaply available made by Spectra Products in 40x54, which is similarly fuzzy to mate with velcro, and does not tear as much (eg. at Whitney). DIY cut to fit. Best fastened to the D-rings when the surface is used with velcro -- punch a hole or slit in the corners for straps, or just velcro it with straps to the rings.
    The Nifty Loks can then be used and are sold separately, pretty cheap.
    But more simply, straps can be attached to the Tote corners, as with a nylon bolt, and tied to the rearmost D-rings to keep it in place. Ace has velcro straps working well for this.

The Nifty Cargo Logic tote has more space for grocery bags, four compartments, compared to the others. The divider fastens on each side with snaps for folding in to make larger compartments in two sizes, on long, one square.

Case Logic totes have velcro strips on the bottom and will also work with the removeable carpet.

Another item never carried by auto suppliers very useful in trunks is collapsible plastic crates sold by office supplies sized for file folders. 20x14x10, forh hanging folders to hook over the sides. Easily strapped to the rear D-rings with velcro straps from Ace, or heavier hooks if necessary. Rigid compared to the fabric totes, good for heavy items.