1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo net/ Does't attach to anything!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by eddieooo, Mar 12, 2005.

1. eddieooo

eddieooo New Member

I bought the cargo net that is suppose to attach like a hamack at the entrance to hatch area. But, the hooks they give you dont screw into the place at right and left of hatch. There are black screws in wall of hatch,when these are removed the hooks provided don't fit into the holes. Has anyone bought the cargo net for the '05? How did you attach it ? Thanks...Eddie

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    are you talking about the vertical or horizontal? It seems like you're talking about the horizontal.

The Prius has 4 metal D rings on the floor to do so.

If it's the vertical, there are hooks that you install into either side of the cargo area

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

there should be a template that you mark the location of the upper hooks and then drill the holes to mount the upper D-rings

4. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

If you bought the Toyota cargo net then you should not need to mark or drill anywhere to use it. If you removed anything from the walls of the interior back end (near the hatch) put them back. Nothing needs to come out or off.

There should be four "D" shaped rings located on the inside of the back end of the car. If you raise your hatch and look to the left or to the right just inside the backend at the point where the car body starts to curve you should find a "D" ring on the left and one on the right. The top black spring type clips attach there (with the two elastic strings at the top and the Toyota tag right side up).

At the base of the inside of the backend just below the gasket for the hatch you will find two more "D" rings (these may be hidden by your cargo mat if installed). This is where the bottom two clips attach. The "D" rings can be a little stiff and may be flush with the interior body of the car so that is why you may not have noticed them.

Also, when in doubt, you can always tool over to your nearest Toyota dealership (especially if they happen to be where you got your car) and as a salesperson to show you where things go (provided that you are trying to install a "Toyota" brand item they should be able and willing to help).

My digital camera is on the blink right now so I will have to use the hubby's. I ran outside and took some quick snaps. Sorry quality is poor but you will see what goes where.

I attached a photo of the cargo net fully in place attached at all four points; a shot from the inside of the car looking over the backseat to the interior left hand side so that you could see where the rings are positioned and a picture of one of the rings (the one mounted on the upper right hand side of the cargo area base near the bottom of the back of the right hand seat where the "D" ring is mounted to allow for the flat or vertical net to be attached).

BTW, this is also one of the restraint points should you ever have to tie down a tire with the ties that are supplied with your car (located under the cargo bin beneath the base of the cargo area floor. There are two plastic nobs that you need to turn following the arrows to be able to lift this floor piece up to access the spare tire compartment, jack, tire iron and the extra cargo storage compartment. Check your manual for a diagram of the locations of everything

Hope this is some help to you.

Take care,

Tisza

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

on the early Prius the upper D-rings were not installed on the car. When you got the kit from Toyota there was a template for the upper mount. You had to drill a hole as per the template on either side and install the D-ring. Did it on the wifes car. The metal D-rings on the floor were there but not the top rear ones.

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    No upper rings on my car (Jan 2005). Are you sure the dealer didn't fit them for you Widdletink?

7. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No upper rings on my '05 either.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, this thread has evolved into a bit of an info overload. Let me see if I can confuse it further.

If you buy a Prius without the port (or dealer) option cargo net (the vertical one in the back) you will not have the plastic upper D-rings.

If you ordered the cargo net with your car the port or the dealer will have to drill and install the upper plastic D-rings for you...so you might think they were standard, but they're not, they're part of the Cargo Net 'kit'.

If you ordered your cargo net from the parts dept. after getting your car, or if your dealer didn't realize they were supposed to install it, you'll find the bag with the net has 2 D-rings and a template and instructions of how to install the D-rings. It is very simple and very fast.

9. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five