1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo net hardware - is this the wrong kind?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Hemi4Prius, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Hemi4Prius

Hemi4Prius Geek Girl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just purchased a cargo net off eBay - it specified Prius through 2003... I stupidly thought it would work with my 2008. The auction said it came with hardware so I figured it came with "D" rings like everyone talks about on here.

But it came with "T" brackets instead:
    See the instructions to see a picture of what I'm talking about:
    http://www.toyotapart.com/installation/PT347-47010.pdf

Is there any way I could make this work with my '08 or should I go to the hardware store and get "D" rings?

Also - what do I use to anchor the "D" rings into the hole?

Can someone post a picture of what the OEM "D" rings look like out of the car? I've seen the picture of them installed but I'd like to see the other side of them to know what to get if I need to go to the hardware store.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Once you install the D rings you can't take them out. The only way to post a pic is to post one of them before they're installed.

You drill and hole slightly smaller than the stem of the D ring (the directions give size) and then you tap them in. The stem expands slightly and they're in to stay.

According to the PDF you posted, you bought a cargo net for a 2001 Prius. Apparently that car has some pre-prepared holes with a special plug installed that the stem of the T fits into.

See if you can return item to seller. Especially if he didn't specify 2001 cargo net in his auction.

3. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The rings can be removed after installation -- just "un-pop" the center piece that was popped in to mount it and they'll just pull out. There's a little slot in the body of the part to allow you to slip in a small screwdriver to un-pop it.

BTW, the instructions say to drill a "8mm (19/64") hole". Who's got a 19/64" drill bit lying around? Well, 8mm is actually 20.15/64, which closer to 5/16" than it is to 19/64". I had a 5/16" drill bit, so I used it. The ring pushed in with a nice firm fit, popped as expected, and feels very solid in place. I have the feeling that a real 8mm hole would be a little sloppy.