1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo Net Hardware

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by rldolsen, Jul 31, 2006.

1. rldolsen

rldolsen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was given a cargo net, but without the mounting hardware. Is that something I can get from the parts department from my local Toyota dealer?

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You sure you don't have the hooks? check around in the trunk area, they may already be there...

When i got my '06 the hooks were already in the trunk (i thought they came standard), and i wasn't given a cargo net... i ended up getting one on e-bay, which came in the original packaging (and didn't include any mounting hardware)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OEM cargo net (aka vertical cargo net) does require 2 plastic D-rings to be installed at the rear of the cargo compartment.

There are 4 metal D-rings that come pre-installed in all Prii.

If the second poster purchased a horizontal/flat net it will fit without additional hardware.

The OP seems to have aquired a used vertical cargo net sans the installation hardware (plastic D-rings).

I think your best option is to hit the hardware stores and see what you can find. I suspect the D-rings for the cargo net only come with the net...but it can't hurt to call or go by your Toyota dealer and ask at the parts dept.

4. rldolsen

rldolsen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 31 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]295144[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it's second hand vertical cargo net. Is there a picture of what the plastic D-rings you're talking about look like and/or where they attach in the trunk. If I knew that, I could probably figure out some sort of alternative if I can't get a hold of the OEM hardware.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. bad monkey

bad monkey New Member

What becomes very disconcerting with this mod is that while the Toyota instructions are prety detailed, they even give you a drilling template, you still have to put a HOLE in your car.

I checked, and rechecked my patterns and locations. It was hard to take a drill to the car.

7. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Due to the drilling aspect of this, I just ordered the part at the parts counter, and the next day when it came in, had the service department install it. They charged me $25 for the labor.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would NOT pay $25 for this install...no way no how. It literally took less than 10 minutes including finding a drill bit and cleaning up. The actual drilling takes about 2 minutes if you're REALLY a freak about putting the template on exactly right and there's really no reason to worry about it that much. That entire area is safe, the plastic is soft, and if you put some tape on the drill bit there's no way you could go too deep....just use a slow drill speed and realize you only drill about 1mm deep.

There's just nothing to damage here.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I installed mine and no worries. I was more freaked about doing the decals and the back up beeper. And the BT plate. This was nothing.

It calls for a metric drillbit so I used the next SMALLEST english size. You do NOT want to make the hole too big. Measure twice, drill once. Don't push the drill bit in too far. I went slow and as soon as I was through I stopped. A little tap with the hammer and it popped right in. It's holding up fine.

I have an extra one I'll save to install on my next Prius.

I really don't use the vertical cargo net that much. Mostly to keep stuff from sliding out the back when I open the hatch. What I LOVE is the horizontal cargo net. And there are already four loops for that to hook on to...no installation necessary.

10. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I know this is an old thread, but WTH; here's some information I just posted on other threads but consolidate here:

The hardware kit for the upper D-rings for mounting the cargo net in the Gen II is Toyota p/n PT347-47040-HK, available on line for around $5. Considering shipping, may be just as well to buy from your local dealer. I doubt the instructions will come with this kit, however -- they do come with the full net kit. If they can't be found on line, let me know and I'll scan them in.
    The rings can be removed after installation -- just "un-pop" the center piece that was popped in to mount it and they'll pull out. There's a little slot in the body of the part to allow you to slip in a small screwdriver to un-pop it. If you're selling a Gen II and want to keep the net, you might be able to find a plastic plug to pop into the holes.
    BTW, the instructions say to drill a "8mm (19/64") hole". Who's got a 19/64" drill bit lying around? Well, 8mm is actually 20.15/64, which closer to 5/16" than it is to 19/64". I had a 5/16" drill bit, so I used it. The ring pushed in with a nice firm fit, popped as expected, and feels very solid in place. I have the feeling that a real 8mm hole would be a little sloppy, but would try a 19/64" bit if I had the choice.
    So the question is -- did the engineers specify a 19/64" hole and the technical writers chose 8mm to comply with metrification, or did the engineers specify an 8mm hole and the tech writers chose the English size that was as small as possible and still allow the part to fit?