1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo net questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TucsonPrius, Mar 11, 2004.

1. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Any one get the dealer added cargo net?

I was thinking of looking around for a cargo net at Costco, etc. and was wondering how the Official Toyota Net is attached. The tiedown rings don't make sense since then the net is flat on the "trunk" floor; not too good for holding things in place, I think.

So, how's it done?

Thanks,
    Shawn

2. Jeemz

Jeemz New Member

From the pix I've seen and from my wife's RAV4, the cargo net is horizontally attached and runs the width of the opening. There are two elastic strings at the top, so you open it net and put your stuff in there. The strings hold things up and the net part forms a bag (a wide bag) underneath. It works pretty well, but you have to use 2 hands to open the strings (unless you're a surgen or a magican!). I'm planning on getting one when my Prius arrives....

Jim

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to drill 2 small holes and there are plastic snap in rings that go into those holes. Takes all of about 3 minutes, there are templates that come with it making it fool proof. Very simple install. The bottom clips do take advantage of the hard-mounted rings.

4. cybele

cybele New Member

There's a little tab at the center on one of the outside string that assists in separating the "bag" to put something in - I just pull on it and it opens the "mouth" and then I put in shopping bag or something and just move it down to one end or the other and repeat as needed.

I thought about installing it myself, but I wasn't really confident about drilling holes into my car ... but that's just me.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So what's the advantage of putting stuff in a cargo net, as opposed to just setting stuff on the floor of the cargo area?

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    None, if you don't mind your gallons of milk rolling over your loaf of bread and then bursting open and pouring it's contents through the floor board and into the seats....

OK, a bit dramatic, but it is very nice to put the groceries in that you don't want sliding around in the back. I also have the little cargo holder box thing (can't remember the name) to put stuff in, great for the kid's soccer balls and stuff. Bigger things do just sit on the floor, esp. large flat stuff.

I don't think I'd have a car without some sort of cargo net/holder now days.

7. talleyid

talleyid New Member

Also keep in mind that any unsecured cargo can become lethal in the event of an accident. I wasn't really concious of this until I read an article a few weeks ago about several people killed by various objects left unsecured in their vehicles. Vans, SUVs, etc. have much more open space inside and that toolbox, or camping axe, becomes a missile in a collision.

8. KathyY

KathyY Member

The cargo net is simple to install. I had never used a drill before and my husband was out of town. I was amazed at how easy it was to install. I do put some things in it but don't want to put heavy things in it for fear of pulling it out. It also keeps stuff from falling out the back when you open the hatch. That cargo box thing is great for holding four grocery bags or anything you don't want rolling around the back.

9. cybele

cybele New Member

I know I'm taking us a little off topic, but it bears a mention in this instance.

Pets also need to be secured inside a car. Some people crate their pets and then anchor them with the tie downs. It's a great way to keep your dog safe and you focused on the road. I have a harness for my dog that attaches to the seat belts. I've stopped quickly on more than one occassion and I know the harness has saved my dog from landing in the front seat. I use this one, but there are many fine products out there - Easy Rider.

I've had too many friends who have lost their pets in relatively minor car accidents. Cars are now great at deflecting damage away from humans, we just need to give our pets a little help to keep them safe as well.

Any objects that can fly around the car like tools or an umbrella can be as dangerous to them as to you - be sure to keep them anchored or put away - that secret compartment under the hatch area is prefect for stuff like that.

10. falcinator

falcinator New Member

Is there any way to install the cargo net without boring holes into your car...?

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not the OEM net, you might be able to find something else non-OEM that would work, but drilling the holes is nothing. Very simple, very fast, very clean once the new hooks are put in place. No one could ever tell it wasn't made that way. Besides, if you order the cargo net as a Port/dealer option, they're just going to drill the holes. Also, you CAN have the dealer install it for you, but it'll be a significant expense that just isn't worth paying.

As you read above, someone did the install who'd never even used a drill before, it's just too simple to worry about.

12. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Not sure how you like to use a cargo net. I have mine from a former car clipped to the four D rings in the corners of the cargo area. It spreads out flat like a spider web. Its elastic qualities allow me to slide just about anything under it assuring that I don't have anything slipping, sliding or rolling around back there.

13. kmbell

kmbell New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I went for the other cargo option. I forgot the brand, but it just sits in the car and holds groceries and whatever. It can fold up flat if you don't want to use it, and it has dividers to separate stuff. It is listed in the accessories on the Toyota website. It has "teeth" on the bottom to grip the carpet to prevent slippage. There is nothing to install and no holes. I love it, but that's just me. I think it is called Cargo Logic or something like that. The photo does not do it justice and the plastic things around the corners are another option that I don't think is required.

It cost me $35 at the dealer and looks like it could be purchased elsewhere. It was convenient to buy it there, so I did not price it elsewhere.

14. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i got something similar through one of these junk-mail advertisers.... it's a set of three plastic units that have four velcro pads on the bottom of each. set the three in a U-pattern against the back seat or side of the storage area, and it's easily adjustable for 'most any size package or bag you can put between them. maybe $15 or so? and great for brining pizza home without it sliding all over the car seats....
    :D