1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cargo net?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by desertbriez, May 25, 2007.

1. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

how does the cargo net install?

i was looking in the trunk and there's no hooks at the top to hold it up?

anyone have on that can take a few pics for me, please?

i want one... but want to make sure i like how it goes in there, first!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you buy a new net it comes with 2 plastic "D-rings" that you need to drill a couple holes for to install. There's a paper template included and it's very simple and fast to do. If you bought a used net without the requisite D-rings you may have some trouble finding a way to get it installed.

3. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

ahhhhh ok.... that explains it!

we didn't buy a used one... it's the same one we've had for.... hmmmmmm 3 cars now i think? all the others all had the places in there already... so rather than buy a new model specific one... we just kept using the mitsubishi one! worked well and saved money....

guess i'll have to order the prius one!

THANX!

4. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think home depot might have the hooks your are looking for?

I have the prius net and it works well... until one of my dogs chewed it :-(

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    In Canada the net comes with the car. The plastic rings are in the bag with the net. I'm installing mine this morning, but I don't think the net is really very useful. It can't hold heavy items, and anything in there tends to swing as you drive.

What I found most useful at low cost is the "toolbox" mesh. The black foamy mesh you can buy in a roll to put in toolbox drawers. I used it in my previous vehicle and it works great. Stops cargo from sliding around, even under a net it will slide a bit.

On the Prius, I'm going to install small pan-head screws on the underside of the fold up hatch floor, along each side. Then lay the mesh over the floor, fold it over the sides, and hook it on the screws. This will keep the mesh in place when you fold up the floor, and will make it easy to remove when you want to clean the carpet.

The plastic loops (I'd call them "D" rings but they're a little too mickey mouse for that), are installed into the plastic hatch liner. They're not very strong. They just snap in and are locked in place by pressing down the button on the device.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) desertbriez

As previously commented, if the "envelope" type net either came with your Prius as part of a Package, or you purchased it later, there should have been two black plastic 'D-rings' which were includeed - like the upper ones in the 2nd attached picture. Here's a picture of the installation completed and the two attachment points:

[attachmentid=8335]
    [attachmentid=8333]
    [attachmentid=8334]

Attached Files:

7. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Messy floor. :)

8. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

thanx, charles! that little d ring thingy looks nice! is it sturdy?

i used a net in my past... hmmmmm 4? vehicles.... they are VERY handy to keep groceries and shopping bags from rolling around the trunk/back of an SUV!

9. jukeboy

jukeboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    is there a way to use the mounting holes inside the privacy cover notch?
    [​IMG]