1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargurus.com ..... Slams Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cubbyg, Apr 19, 2007.

1. cubbyg

cubbyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my Prius for ECONOMY and it just is CUTE, so any survey is just someone manufacturing their own news. What they forgot to print is that if you live in a big city you might find yourself at the next cars bumper faster or perhaps the next light quicker.

“Taking these results with the results of another survey we did in January, which showed the top two reasons car shoppers have for buying a new cars is better performance and better gas mileage, I think the concern here about hybrids is they don’t deliver on performance,†said Langley Steinert, founder and CEO of CarGurus.com.

But the 2007 Prius goes from 0 to 60 mph in a sluggish 10.1 seconds and achieves a top speed of only 105 mph, which could leave many new-car buyers cold, Steinert said.

It may be slow but it is really FUN>>>>>

2. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

When would you need to do 90 mph+ on a highway????

3. justkeel

justkeel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zqfmbg @ Apr 19 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]426448[/snapback]</div>
    !!I dont the Prius- owners are taking ther cars to the dragstip anyways!!!fd11

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No one needs more speed than what a Prius has for driving on public roads. Some might want more, but that's a different issue.

Tom

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    10.1 is sluggish? Most 4 cylinder midsize cars do it btwn 9 and 11 seconds so the Prius is dead in the middle.

Oh wait, of course, we do need a 276hp Camry that does 60 in 7.2 seconds... for some reason.

6. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 19 2007, 11:38 PM) [snapback]426552[/snapback]</div>
    I've been thinking about a thread of what if back in 1984, a FWD HSD Toyota Corolla had performance like today's Prius? The MFD would be DOS-like the 1980's but you get the idea.

My gut feeling is the 0 to 60 in 10-11 seconds and 60mpg highway would be much better received and it might sell for 40K in today's dollars.

In other words, we are spoiled rotten on performance and creature comforts.

7. iaowings

iaowings New Member

i remember when a 4 cylinder car with more than 120hp was incredible. Now we can get 218hp and 200pounds of torque out of a 1.6liter 4-cylinder car. That was unheard of 10-15 years ago. A friend of mine had an old ford tempo with just around 80hp or something like that; it had a hard time getting above 70mph but that was in high school and the car was old as heck.

8. mootsman

mootsman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zqfmbg @ Apr 19 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]426448[/snapback]</div>

Hmmmm....I guess you don't "need" a 200w amplifier for your home stereo system in that you, hopefully, will never use it all. But it's called headroom and that means it's working less at lower wattages. I've had a lot of muscle cars that I rarely ever broke the speed limit with -- but it sure was fun getting to the limit :D

9. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

I have found over the years -- that the only time a car really needs to go up to 60mph very quickly is for safety reasons. 1) merging onto a highway where the other cars are going 80 mph and you need to get into your lane quickly before it runs out; 2) pulling out into an intersection quickly to avoid the oncoming traffic; an 3) to get out of the way of another car doing crazy things on the road - getting out of the way fast avoids an awful collision. People who drive at high speeds are really putting others in danger if they cannot get out of the way quickly and skillfully.

In all cases, my Prius has been more than adequate. I don't need a car that goes over 90 mph.
    Life is way too short for me to put myself and others in harms way.

10. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]
    because I says So!!!

Besides, gotta kick a$$ now and then

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 19 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]426568[/snapback]</div>
    Remember a 2.0 litre 1990 Toyota Camry has 92hp!

12. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 20 2007, 02:02 PM) [snapback]426859[/snapback]</div>
    With a little work with a modern 2.0 liter you could pull 250hp. Heck look at the Subaru wrx/sti gets 293-hp and 290 lb-ft of torque out of a 2.6 liter 4 cylinder.

So yes I agree we are spoiled with modern cars here in America.
    In europe they make cars with 70-90hp and people do not complain well they might because they don’t need the gas guzzling extra hp to drive around the city. Don’t they have cars over there with like 40- 60 hp that are very small and used for commuting around the city and whatnot.

13. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 20 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]426871[/snapback]</div>
    That may have been true a few years ago (I happily zipped around the country in a 60 HP Ford Fiesta Diesel, 54 mpg in 1997). But keep in mind that Germany has no speed limits on many highways, they love speed and power. Italians are even worse, speed limit or no speed limit. The horsepower war has started here as well, the 1001 hp Bugatti Veyron is after all a European invention, and so is the BMW M3.

Read more about it in Do Consumers Really Want Fuel-Efficient Cars?

14. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mootsman @ Apr 20 2007, 04:36 AM) [snapback]426612[/snapback]</div>
    Heh. While I think: 5 seconds of hard acceleration, and then what? :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Apr 20 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]426878[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but if you're driving a Veyron, you probably have enough money on hand to not worry about refilling the gas tank. :)

Let's see... at top speed (253mph, I believe) that thing empties its gas tank in 12 minutes...

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 20 2007, 11:11 AM) [snapback]426871[/snapback]</div>
    2.5 litres

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Apr 20 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]426878[/snapback]</div>
    same can be said about Japan. They have 63hp Kei-cars running around and yet have 300hp STis and Evos.

16. ESanders2

ESanders2 New Member

When I want to go fast I'll just hop on my motorcycle. It may not be as safe, but hey, it's got 40 more horsepower than the Prius and still gets 40 mpg! And instead of taking 10 seconds to go 0-60 it only takes 2.9 seconds :D

17. PriusBoyAZ

PriusBoyAZ New Member

Some people buy cars for bragging rights rather than usefulness or practicality. It's unfortunate that an absolutely horrendous car like the Hummer has become a status symbol among yuppies. Since when is being irresponsible, wasteful, and obscenely narcissistic something to be proud of?

Look at the number of people who buy SUVs that don't need them or use them for their designed purpose. Look at people who buy BMW Z8 sports cars but never exceed 65 mph. If auto makers would stop making vehicles as an extension of a man's penis and focus on designing the most efficient car for US road conditions and speed limits, we could easily have a 100 mpg vehicle that had just the right amount of horsepower, just the right top speed, and just the right acceleration numbers to fit a practical driving style rather than over specified numbers that might look good on paper but serve no practical purpose.

18. freerangemike

freerangemike New Member

Why is this news or surprising?

If I want a steak, a head of lettuce isn't going to satisfy me. If I want a salad, the steak won't either. "Performance", as defined by speed enthusiasts is fuel inefficient. What kind of magic world do people live in where their choices involve no sacrifice or compromise? Some people choose to play by destroying; others find enjoyment through activities that do not introduce (or at least reduce) carbon into the environment. I think if the speed enthusiasts were given a mpg MDF instead of a stop watch, they could find a healthy outlet for their competitive juices.

Still, I can't wait for 2009 when I can put a tank of air in my turbo-charged SUV to drive my multi-ethnic neighbors from our McMansions to the park to go Polar Bear hunting. Maybe afterward, we can stop at Dairy Queen for the zero-calorie, sugar-laden ice cream that makes brushing and flossing my teeth unnecessary.

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    105 mph is not fast enough???

Beware of the trap of people talking about what "they" want. Who are "they"??? people keep saying that the Germans don't want economical cars because "they" like to drive as fast as they can on their no-speed-limit freeways. Or the Italians, because "they" like to drive fast in spite of speed limits.

Sure, there are speed maniacs in Germany who drive their BMWs full-out on the autobahn, and Italians who do the same. But most Europeans cannot afford BMWs or the gas they consume. That's why you'll see a lot more Vespas and small econo-boxes than high-end luxury cars wherever you go in Europe. It would make a lot more sense to say that Europeans demand efficient transportation, than to assert that "they" demand powerful cars.

And the success of the Prius, as well as the large number of cars with average power, gives the lie to the assertion that Americans demand cars that go from zero to 60 in 6 seconds. My next car probably takes ten seconds to go from zero to 30 mph, and can almost make it to 40 with the pedal to the floor. :)

20. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All I can add to this is that the Prius impressed me with its 0 - 60 performance, in comparison with the other fuel economy cars I was test driving. I'm partial to Toyotas, and drove the Camry 4 cyl, Corolla, Matrix and then also the Nissan Altima and Sentra and the Chevy HHR. The Prius wasn't even on my list at first, but then I drove one.

Going up an on-ramp and accelerating while merging into traffic was a lot easier in the Prius. It was much faster getting up to freeway speeds than the other Toyotas and the Nissans. The HHR, with the smaller engine, was probably the worst, but I like the car a lot.

In the end, the Prius won out as the best of the ones I was considering.