1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Caring for a black V ...the nightmare

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mynewpriusv, Apr 23, 2012.

1. mynewpriusv

mynewpriusv New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So this is my first black car. I had it for about a month, so I decided to wash/wax the car this weekend. The wash went fine, the wax - I used Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. It was a pain in the nice person - the black left "oily" looking smudges that took lots of elbow grease. Way too much and I am pretty "good" at cleaning cars. I have only had white cars and they are a snap. I gave up on that wax and went back to my old standard, Zymol.

Also, I only use microfiber towels and noticed that it made light scratches on the black paint.

So really three questions:

1. What's the wax/polish of choice on a V?
    2. Why am I causing scratching on my black V?
    3. I had some bird poop and I took off, but when I looked at it from an angle, I could see the reminiscence from it.

I am pretty careful, wash/wax under the shade. Always use a clean towel, etc.

Thanks!

2. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1. There are lots of good options out there for wax/polish
    2. The best advice I can give is for you to visit http://www.autopia.org this website contains a wealth of knowledge about automotive detailing
    3. What you saw may have been the result of the acid (from the bird droppings) actually etching through your clear coat. Depending on the extent of the damage you may be able to repair yourself or might need to visit a professional detailer

3. Lats118

Lats118 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a red v, but I also have a black Audi (I think all Audi's are black :)). I've always used Zaino on it and it still looks new (its a 2004). Easy to put on, easy to take off (as long as you don't put it on heavy), no polish dust, no scratches/swirl marks; best polish out there in my opinion.

It's also a good idea to use a clay bar on the car before you polish to get all the road grime, tar, bird droppings, etc. off first. Using the clay bar makes the car feel super smooth; just like it came out of the showroom. Just look up Zaino and 'clay bar' on the net if you're not familiar with them.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Three layers of Zaino Z-5 (no Z-2 as that takes away some of Z-5's depth). Leaves no oily smudges.

It's possible that the scratches were there already, but the dealer masked them with a glaze during prep and it washed away when you detailed your car, brilliantly revealing the scratches. Not all microfiber towels are scratch free, but no matter how careful we are there's bound to be scratches on black finish so that's where Zaino Z-5 comes into use, to fill in the microscratches.

Bird poop is the worse thing for black paint and don't ever let it sit any longer than necessary. Carry a bottle of 50% isopropyl alcohol in your car and a microfiber in your car and get it off as soon as you see it. Even if you don't have the proper tools, get it off anyway using whatever you have. It's far easier to correct scratches from getting it off than marring from the bird poop.

I've had good luck repairing bird poop marring using NuFinish Scratch Doctor.

5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    As the owner of a black car you will accumulate a box full of potions while trying to find the latest and greatest. When I was young and full of energy and black car lust, I only used the paste. Then i got a buffer. Then I tried and loved the liquid. Then I loved the spray on. Now, I have decided that whatever i use, the easier t is the more I'll use it. Now I just use the spritz on/wipe off stuff. I am on my 3rd black car. I swear I'll never have another but they keep following me home.

6. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    my brother had a 55 chevy, "BLACK" he was wiping the dust off, polishing, washing every day. it made me tired just watching him. he sold it after a month. i swore i would never have a black car !! well i couldn't paint my "T" any other color, besides it don't go out much, and not too big for maintenance.

7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You can guarantee a black car looking right for only about five minutes. After that, there's dust on it.

Put up all your wash/polish stuff and start driving, and it'll be dirty when you get back home. Such is life with a black vehicle.

*sigh*