1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Caring for plastic bumpers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eurosteve, Jun 22, 2008.

1. eurosteve

eurosteve Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been carefully washing and waxing my car but I'm not sure what to do about the bumpers. Should I clean and wax them the same way I do the painted metal parts of the car? What about bug and tar removal?

I assume that the bumpers are painted plastic and I don't want to do anything to ruin them. Do they require any special treatment?

2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I zaino mine and bugs dont stick. waxes looks the protective ability in the heat. If you zaino nothing else you might want to zaino the front of the car against bugs.

3. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Treat them [bumpers] like any other painted surface on the car.
    You're not treating the material(metal/plastic), you're treating the clear coated paint on top of the material.

For protection and good looks, a combo of paint sealer and wax is your best bet (imo)!
    :)

4. eurosteve

eurosteve Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bugs: I bought a "bug and tar remover" and it took off the surface bugs but you can still see the remnants of the bigs on the finish. On my hood I used a small amount of car polish to get the final remnants off - and then I re-waxed it. You think it's okay to also use car polish on the bumper? Is the clearcoat the same (as durable) on the bumper as on the hood?

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same paint as the other panels so treat it the same.

6. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Agreed. Wax offers more environmental protection than a sealant. For a sealant try Ultima Paint Guard Protection....ten times easier to apply than Zaino and looks better.

7. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    YES

Don't think of it in terms of surfaces, think of it in terms of what's covering the surface: you're washing/claying/sealing/waxing/polishing/etc the paint, and even more so, the clear coat on top of the paint - wherever it is (hood or bumper).
    --So, in that respect, your thread title could read: 'Caring for clear coated paint'.

Protect away!