1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carpet cleaner discolored floor mats--Darn!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malli52, May 7, 2008.

1. malli52

malli52 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I used a carpet cleaner to clean up regular foot grime on my bisque floor mats, and wouldn't you know it! Now they are yellowish where I used the stuff.....Boo hoo. Is the only remedy buying new ones for $100???? I just bought the ExactMats vinyl covers online so they will be covered from now on (or at least, in a few days after they arrive....)

:(

2. zrolimited

zrolimited New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dang that sucks!

I havn't tried carpet cleaner yet, but i walk into nasty auto shop garages with coolant, oil, grime, dirt soaked floors all day. When I get back into my car after dropping off parts my floor mats are almost black by the end of the day.
    By the end off the week they get like a layer of grime on them.

I usually just throw them in the washing machine in Hot water with a bunch of Tide and they come out looking new! Then i just throw them in the dryer.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah i would advise using a front loading machine to wash them, and not hot water. i think a top loader might be too rough, i just washed mine yestarday and i washed in warm water with some towels. the first one came out looking clean, the 2nd one didnt look very clean so i kept pulling it out of the wash cycle with a tub full and using a wash cloth to scrub it a little bit and kept throwing it back in the tub.

i dont think the floor mats would stand being washed often, imo

i washed them one at a time

i didnt put them in the dryer, i just hung them outside to dry and they were pretty dry to the touch just laying over a chair in the sun for an hour or so

4. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Which carpet cleaner did you use so we can be forewarned?

5. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder by throwing them in a washing machine with detergent and vinegar will get rid of the carpet cleaner stains..

6. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry you didn't follow my advice on using Simple Green, I've had no problems using this on many different types of car mats.
    It will also work in a washing machine, dilute it first by half strength. Pre soak any stains. Does a good job on work clothes too. I like using liquids in my front loader much better than powders.

As a side note you could always re-dye your mats instead of buying new ones. At this point I'd get rid of the carpet and get a rubber type mat.

7. malli52

malli52 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow! Great suggestions. Thanks!
    I used a special Spot Remover carpet cleaner....I will check the brand after I get home from work.
    I am amazed the mats can be machine washed. I'll try that, with the Simple Green, and vinegar---to get the best of both worlds. It can't get any worse, I figure.
    And with the vinyl covers maybe it won't be so noticeable.
    You guys are a font of knowledge. Great website, this.
    :)