1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CarPlay - anyway to get phone to show map instead of turn-by-turn?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by MylesPg, Feb 24, 2022.

1. MylesPg

MylesPg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have new 2022 prius (7 inch display) and trying to configure iPhone & CarPlay in optimal manner.
    Is there a way to have the navigation turn-by-turn not display on the phone and instead see the map (when navigation is turned on)?

I have my phone mounted at eye-level so it means very convenient and safe map viewing instead of having to look down at the car display for the map - but once nav is started (apple maps or google maps) the phone shows only turn-by-turn.

I don't see the logic in that - forces you to take eyes of road to glance at the map.

Hoping there is some setting I am missing and someone here might now how to fix this.

- Thanks,
    Myles

2. Pulse07

Pulse07 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    If you have Apple CarPlay on, you shouldn't need to use your phone. You can access Google Maps (or Apple Maps LOL) and just watch yourself on the map, without entering a destination. If you are using Google Maps as a GPS, the directions should appear on your car screen. I usually have my phone down and locked when Im in the car with CarPlay on

3. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I used to default to Google Maps, but now rely solely on Apple Maps. The “minimal climate change route” (or whatever they call it), has taken me down too many one lane/two-way traffic roads in Seattle. Apple Maps seems to provide a more “normal” route.