1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carpool Sticker Application

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Swingshiftworker, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Swingshiftworker

Swingshiftworker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, another lesson learned the hard way.

I got my stickers and (even though they are butt ugly) decided to apply them to my P. I thought I was really smart bracketing the application point on the sides of the lower rear fenders w/masking tape, so'd they be "straight" and in the same relative positions.

But, when I started to apply the first sticker (on the driver's side, of course, where'd see the mess), I didn't apply the sticker gradually from one side to the other (in order to remove any air bubbles and wrinkles) and it all just when on in a flash (because the sticker is really thin and the adhesive is really sticky -- thin plastic wrap comes to mind).

Next thing I know, I have bubbles and wrinkles all over. I was able to get out the wrinkles, but some big bubbles remain. Even though they are thin, the stickers are really "tough" and tried punching a small hole in one in order to remove the air w/o success. May try that again later. The other stickers when on ok, after f*cking up the first one.

Anyway, if you don't know this already, when you apply the stickers, BE CAREFUL and make sure to properly position and attach just a small part of one side of the sticker first and then gradually rub on the sticker from one side to the other, so that all of the wrinkles and bubbles are removed.

It's also useful to bracket out the spot where you want to place the stickers w/masking (or other) tape, so that the stickers are in the position you want them to be when they are attached. Once on, there's no way to move them w/o destroying them.

Hope you do a better job than I did. ;)

BTW, did anyone else find the DMV's instructions for attaching the small front and rear bumper stickers confusing? Instructions say to attach them to the "right" side of the front and rear bumpers and the illustrations indicate the same. But, I had to think about that for awhile before I got it.

Ended up attaching them to the passenger (right) side of the rear bumper and the driver's (right) side of the front bumper. Hope the that was right. Unless someone here confirms the same, I'll have to check some other P's to see if it was or not. :blink:

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swingshiftworker @ Jul 22 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]290783[/snapback]</div>
    Well, the instructions seemed clear to me. However, almost every other Prius I see has the one on the front bumper on the driver's side of the front bumper...instead of on the passenger side. I don't know why a lot of people misread the instructions. Makes more sense on the passenger side of the front bumper, as the Highway patrol drive in the fast lane and look in their driver's side mirror for violators. They can see the sticker if it is on the passenger side of the front bumper, but can't if it is on the drivers side.

3. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 23 2006, 01:17 AM) [snapback]290838[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm. I no longer have the instructions, but at the time, it was clear to me that the small sticker on the front bumper should be on the driver's side as well. In any case, I see a LOT of variation on how the stickers are applied on cars I see on the road.

4. justin96039

justin96039 210,000 Miles on our Prius!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DMV received my application for HOV stickers on 07/10/2006. They were mailed to me on 7/19/2006. Eight (8) business days total turn around time. Thats awesome!!!! I mailed them on 7/7/2006 priority mail and gave a money order for the 8 dollar fee. Not sure if that helped, but issue date of 7/19/2006 is quick, I wish USPS was the same. I received them today in S. California. Bought car 06/30/2006 evening, license plates were received on the 7th as well. Very excited!!!!! JW

Number 672xx

Instructions are simple, Im pulling over people that dont have them in right locations. If we abuse this, we arent setting a proper example. 3 stickers on back, 1 on front. Its that easy. Not sure what the fine will be.