1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Carputer" install in 2010 JBL Prius II w/o Nav

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by telefrog, Jan 10, 2010.

1. telefrog

telefrog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been working on a PC-based system for my Prius. After considering a double-din head unit (Pioneer or the like), I decided on developing my own system for the following reasons:

• I had an Intel Mac Mini collecting dust.
    • I really wanted a customizable solution, since every double din nav system I reviewed didn't quite meet my needs.
    • I needed a winter project.
    This PC based system will replace the head unit (non navigation) in my JBL equipped 2010. I'll be installing a 7" Lilliput touchscreen with the factory surround (55405-47080). I will be running Windows 7 and "Ride Runner", an open source "carputer" front end. Below are the parts I have on order (thanks to this post and others for giving me a head start).

• Lilliput EBY701 in double-din mounting bracket (from mo-co-so.com) ~$230 shipped
    • TYTO-01 JBL interface from ebay. ~$65 shipped. This will be used so I can keep the full speaker functionality of the JBL.
    • Factory surround 55405-47080. $70 shipped.
    • BU-353 USB GPS antenna. $37 from Amazon.
    • Xantrex 400W Inverter. $35 from Amazon.
    • Intel Mac Mini (free) - Installed Windows 7 using Boot Camp.
    Although I know I'll need lots of little odds-and-ends (audio wiring, automated power control of PC, Metra double-din surrounds), this should be the bulk of it. Although a DC-DC converter for the Mac and Lilliput power would be smaller and more efficient, the inverter was much cheaper and will allow me to use other 120V equipment if needed.

I am also looking into a PC-based GPS solution to tie in with Ride Runner-- so far, Garmin Mobile PC is at the top of my list, but it's a little pricey at $60, and I don't like the fact that it is tied to one PC.

I'll update this thread as I start the install later this week.

Sorry, I couldn't add links... but you should be able to find all the pieces and parts through google where I listed.

2. telefrog

telefrog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like a fun project! Can't wait to see the results.

4. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The carPc is a good idea but I'm little bit worry about:
    1. Boot time for W7 - the screen should start as soon as car is in Ready mode
    2. Liliput screen has no USB/SD ports accesible from the front
    3. HDD in MAc box would not be a stress free. maybe repalcement with SSD

I'm crossing fingers for your success and looking forward for your results/pictures/experience.

5. telefrog

telefrog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good points, PaJa. I'm hoping that hibernate will give me an adequate boot time. In terms of the backup camera, the display has a RCA input for that so there shouldn't be any safety concerns there.

I agree that it would be nice to have a USB port on the front of the touch screen. I will have to get creative with placing one elsewhere.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can add a SSD to lower your boot time. The apps will open up at an instant too.

1 person likes this.
  7. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot - what about the FM radio solution?

8. telefrog

telefrog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't listen to FM much, so I forgot all about it when I went hunting for the parts. :)

After a little searching, I thought something like this would be neat, a combo ATSC (HDTV) / FM tuner. Of course, TV is not too smart of an idea for the front of a car, but I can't help wanting to add it.

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems that most of the usb kits run the cable to a connector in the console. That should work for your carputer.

What functions aren't available on the standard head units that you want? I've been toying with the idea of getting one of the chinese head units so that I can hack the programing. But I'm leaning toward the pioneer that does most everything I want. It is missing a good solution for traffic feeds (msdn direct ends in two years) and it would be nice to have displays of car inputs from instraments to show tach and engine tempurature. I'm wondering if I can somehow add anouther device to generate these and feed the video input.

10. telefrog

telefrog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I landed on a PC, because I like the idea of the solution being scalable... for example, later I can add in an OBD-II scanner to look at car diagnostics, add XM or Sirius, or any other peripheral you could hook into a PC. Maybe even the first steps to a PHEV. (OK, that's a bit of a stretch :)) I can handle some basic programming, but lots of software already exists out there for Windows XP/Vista/7.

This weekend, I added in local traffic cams and a google traffic map to the touchscreen front end, which connects to the internet through a bluetooth-tethered cell phone. I simply couldn't do that with an off the shelf solution without a lot of work.

11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice idea - I was toying with it (I may send back my current HU). It seems to be a somewhat challenging thing to do (I would've thought carputers would be farther along). Mp3car.com is the best place for info - they have gobs of forums dedicated to this.

For surround, if you're buying the one form the UK, that's 200mm wide. You need another Metra kit to make your 180mm Liliput fit...

For me, it ended up too much stuff to piece together, and the software isn't very seamless for general auto functions.

I was kind of hoping one of these Chinese HUs would get closer - right now you can run WinCE6.0 - for which you can add gobs of things (TCP/IP etc), and it's very fast - but also still lacking........ Good luck with the project!

12. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any pics of what your screen/dashboard looks like?

13. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I remember the carputer from 2005, I tried to do it on 2006, but there was no real answer on the digital monitor. Besides getting another head unit. So I passed. I never heard great things about the lilly. I dont know if it is motorize but there were a lot of issues with the motorized units not moving anymore after a few months.

I am very excited to see it work on the newer prius. Good luck, ask for help if you need.