1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carry platform for electric scooter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by greybeard, Sep 22, 2007.

1. greybeard

greybeard New Member

I have recently found, due to a back problem, its necessary to take an electric scooter with me that weighs 124lbs. I've seen a lot of info on carrying bikes but not a 124lb scooter. I've picked up an aluminum platform that weighs about 30lbs and has a weight rating of 500lbs. It's 48"long and 22" wide. Since it's much lower than the rear hatch, It should be 10 times easier with the carrrier than taking the scooter apart and putting it in the back of the prius. We'll also be making a month trip and this is the only way I can think of to carry the scooter, baggage and our dog.

Will this work if I use the coastal hitch and do I have to worry about it scraping when going up a driveway?

2. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(greybeard @ Sep 22 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]516314[/snapback]</div>
    Be careful with the Coastal hitch. Some of our forum members have experienced failures with that hitch: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=9326&st=20

Unfortunately, that is the only 2" hitch available for the Prius.. If you want to carry a 124 lb. scooter you wll almost certainly need to reinforce the Coastal hitch with custom-built supports.

3. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(greybeard @ Sep 22 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]516314[/snapback]</div>
    I have made a support and ramps to carry a scooter inside the car without having to pull it all to pieces. I do have to remove the seat and store it separately after running the scooter up the ramp.
    Having said that, I don't think there would be room for luggage and a dog because the back of the back seat has to be laid flat and the scooter goes very close to the back of the front seats when loaded.