1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carrying Luggage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cei955, Jan 23, 2006.

1. cei955

cei955 Junior Member

Going on a long trip and do not want to take my motor home because of fuel cost and very cold weather and motor homes not compatible. Does anybody know if any body makes a roof mounted luggage carrier for the pruis? How would it mount since there are no gutter rails for straps to mount to. Anybody else have any solutions on luggage?

Also, what about a trailer hitch? Would it void my warranty? Is it possible to find one and install?

Ron

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yakima makes #124 pads that fit the late-model Prius. Use them with Q-towers and 58" cross bars to form your rack. Then either use a cargo box or any of the "basket" cargo carriers bolted to that.

A hitch will not void your warranty unless it screws something up that you need fixed later. Highly unlikely. CoastalTech makes one that fits well (I hear) - you just need to figure out a way to get CoastalTech to fill your order...

Here's the Coastal Hitch Page.

3. cei955

cei955 Junior Member

:)
    Thank You

4. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thule also makes a roof rack for the Prius. Both Yakima and Thule are top brands... and i would be happy with either. If you already have an investiment in either company... there might be an advantage to stay with that brand.

/Jim

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And, to point out the obvious, the cargo area can hold a lot of luggage, particularly if you fold the back seat down. You may not need a roof rack or hitch. Test with empty suitcases...

There was a thread on the old site about MPG impact of roof racks and trailers. I believe, IIRC, that a hitch and low-profile trailer got better MPG, but there was a significant hit for either.