1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cartop carrier? Other space-increasing strategies?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by dpbsmith, Apr 30, 2014.

1. dpbsmith

dpbsmith Junior Member

We're going on a camping road trip and need a little more space than we have in the back, even with the seat folded down. What options do we have?

1) Any recommendations for enclosed rooftop cargo carriers for a 2005 Prius? Are there any known problems using them other than reduced fuel economy?

And two other possibilities:

2) We have a trailer hitch on it that we bought in order to attach a bike carrier. Worked fine. Toyota says not to tow a trailer, but we don't know why, and there are some very lightweight trailers out there. Thoughts?

3) And we've seen youtube videos showing how to remove the back seat. Our dealer says they do not recommend this because it exposes the battery compartment. Thoughts?

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1) There r no known problems of running a rooftop carrier with the Prius. These are for all vehicles. It will decrease your mpg's though
    2) There are several options since you have a hitch. Several companies make a hitch mounted carrier for extra space. I personally have this one and prefer it.

Amazon.com: Thule 665C Transporter Combi Hitch-Mount Cargo Box: Sports & Outdoors

The benefits are, your mpgs will stay high and, your gear is protected from the rain.

jhinsc likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We've used car top carrier it is great...up to -10 MPG though.
    But you might need a decent roof rack.
    Back in the day, the Saris roof rack was fantastic for Gen2 Prius (we have) but they stopped making them around 2006/2007. Sometimes you can see used one for sale here.

well you could always jetison the spare tire like many cars do today.

4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Trailer hitch AND a cartop carrier? It may be time to rent a larger vehicle for your trip.

5. Diver Allen

Diver Allen Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've got a Yakima system that has been great. I've probably had it about 25 years or so and used it on many vehicles. Just did a road trip last week Cincinnati to Santa Rosa Beach Florida. Sure, you lose a couple mpgs but, get over it. Anything is better than my previous vehicle which was Suburban.
    2014-04-27 07.14.02.jpg