1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cassettes linger long after expected demise

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hb06, Aug 5, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "WAVERLY, Neb. — The first obituaries for cassette tapes appeared more than 20 years ago when CDs hit the market."

"Sales of music tapes plummeted from 442 million in 1990 to about 700,000 last year, according to the Recording Industry Association of America."

"Officials at the last cassette maker in North America, Lenco-PMC Inc., say the plastic cases — invented in 1964 to hold two miniature reels for magnetic tape — remain popular in at least three uses: Audio books for the blind, court recordings and religious messages."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2007...cassettes_N.htm

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep. I'm slowly moving our audio collection from tape to CD, but we have plenty of tapes still. Also plenty of VHS. While I try to use DVDs and CDs to add to our collection, there are some movies and books that are ONLY available on VHS and tape. So we have to keep the old equipment as well.

Of course, we're a school library. It takes decades for us to move to a new technology.

BTW I just bought a usb turntable so I can move my vinyl to CD. I have some albums that remain unavailable on CD.

3. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry, but an industry that loses 99.9984% of its sales volume in a 17 year period is dead in my book.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I prefer books on cassette over books on CD. On a tape player, I hit "stop"; when I hit "start" again I'm at where I left off. When I hit "start" again on a CD, If I'm not at the very beginning of the CD again, I'm at the beginning of the cut (and they usually don't have one-cut-per-chapter; it's usually done in a bizarre random way). Since the Prius does it logically, of course (ie, you start exactly where you left off), I should start listening to books on CD there.

5. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Am all for technology, but have to agree with the article on usage for audio books and in particular learning foreign languages, very inconvenient using CDs. Am still waiting for a digital player with a "cassette-like" user interface for stop and play back, that easily bookmarks a section. Am investigating the Archos for a digital player.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBO6 @ Aug 5 2007, 08:01 PM) [snapback]491070[/snapback]</div>
    iPods have the capability to stop and restart an audiobook so that you are at the same place you left off. It may also be possible to do this for podcasts as well.

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/features.html

Click on audiobooks on the left for the page which lists this feature.

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Aug 5 2007, 10:45 PM) [snapback]491090[/snapback]</div>
    Aye, they do, but if you want to read a chapter, stop, then listen to some music, you're screwed (although you can fast-forward in tracks, so it's not TOO much of a pain). Although, as my wife found out the hard way, beware of listening to audiobooks while the iPod is in shuffle mode (she hit "play" and wound up in the last chapter of a mystery where they immediately say who did it).

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 5 2007, 09:09 PM) [snapback]491102[/snapback]</div>
    D'oh! :p

9. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The digital players would have to be able to multitask at least as well as a cassette Walkman between different modes per previous post, and keep the bookmark for the audio file or ebook, which seems to be a common complaint. Interesting comparison article on this subject:

MP3 Players with Bookmark Capability article July, 2007

"Incredibly, this very simple and extremely useful feature is a rarity in the world of MP3 players. Even the popular Apple iPod players do not have this feature. It really boggles my mind how rarely this feature is supported."

"Many players will resume play where you left off when you turn the player off and then back on, but this is a very poor substitute for true manual bookmarking capability."

http://www.andrewdavidson.com/articles/mp3...with-bookmarks/

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I miss the 8-tracks, boy you could easly fill a glove box with 4 of those babys.. :(

11. bmwquickspeed

bmwquickspeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tapes LOL I don't eve use regular CD's anymore.

Its either MP3 CD or MP3 player for me. Even one car I had a DVD player that would play MP3 DVD's thats almost 1000 songs on 1 disc.

I just love new technology.

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Until I had the DICE (and the iPod), I used the cassette player (with an adapter) in the Prius as an AUX input for my portable XM radio and/or my (non-iPod) MP3 player. It was good to have.

13. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Current MP3 digital players work fine for music but woefully cumbersome for audiobooks or learning materials where you need to frequently stop, replay and bookmark. Per article referenced above, simple, efficient manual bookmarking between modes is lacking.