1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cat Converter Protection Thoughts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Frontporch, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Picked up a high mileage 2007 and was surprised to see an OEM cat underneath. Was driven by a young driver and I don't think he was tracking what was there. Car was in Lancaster, PA, so maybe that also reflects a lower crime area.

I know I have options, like cutting this out and putting in an aftermarket unit. Last Prius I owned with an aftermarket unit started to throw CELs in 12 months. Not sure of how low the scrap value of these OEM units is currently, but I wouldn't mind leaving it in place.

I did look around at options and it seems that even the large plates are not foolproof. My first thought is to put in a saddle clamp at about the point where the replacement CC would be connected to the exhaust pipe. It is what I look for quickly to determine if the original is there. Maybe make some small modification to the rearward cat, to make it look different (cover)

Has anyone looked at the solution that runs a series of high strength cables (catstrap) along the entire length of exhaust? I see the merit of putting a cable anywhere you need to use a sawsall... probably not as effective against an angle grider.

Also seems like owners here should be able to rig up something to make removal more difficult.

I also saw the chain idea, basically locking the cat to the frame, but I want to find something that keeps somebody from cutting the pipes in the first place.

These thieves are efficient and resourceful and missed their calling to be magicians or mechanics or maybe even surgeons.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah New Jersey is a tough state If you don't own a house and you're not parking in your own driveway and even then could be problematic up in Cherry Hill and places like that so I feel your pain If you don't have emissions in your given county. Then you can have a pipe there and still keep your downward O2 sensor with the proper bung on the pipe and probably have no readings space the down O2 sensor with the spacer and probably never worry. But I think a lot of the bottom has fell out of this maybe not seems to have died down where I am in this part of North Carolina what's a big thing for about 45 minutes and then done it seems a lot of mid-size fish got busted and arrested messed with by the federal government on down to the state law enforcement and I think people have looked at that and said geez That's a lot of other crime to commit without all this fanfare.

3. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    even if the scrap value is $300, its low hanging fruit.

I stumbled upon a miller cat shield just now. $130 shipped. The design for gen2 makes sense as its no longer a large flat plate that can vibrate. Probably could have been made a little longer to cover slightly beyond the start of the resonator.

This link is for the $180 kit with a shield over the bolts on the cat. One is available without that piece for $130

Miller CAT 2004-2009 Prius Gen 2 V2 Cat Shield Complete Package

They have safety screws that work with their provided bits... Safe unless the thieves purchase a kit and use the bits.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Palladium prices have dropped 65%, rhodium prices dropped 85%, since the peak of the cat theft epidemic. While some have given most credit to tougher metal recycling laws and the takedown of some major cat crime rings, the sharp drop in metal prices has to be a huge factor.

I haven't seen any more cat thefts mentioned in my Nextdoor area in quite some time.