1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cat Malfunction

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dogfriend, Aug 6, 2008.

1. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is not about a catalytic converter.

This is about a feline with deviant behavior.

Background:

About 6 years ago, we adopted a 2 yr old female white Persian odd-eye cat who was reportedly being kept in a small bathroom 24 hrs a day because it couldn't get along with other cats in the household. This is a foo-foo cat, and the previous owners had her front paws declawed which seems to have made her into a real head case. After initially trying to keep her indoors, she has evolved into an indoor-outdoor cat. About a year after we got her, we were surprised to find that she had an aptitude for hunting mice and as evidence we began to find freshly killed mice lovingly left for us on the kitchen floor. We (I) would dispose of the body and praise our kitty for being such a good hunter. You don't want to upset a serial killer.

Problem:

At some point a year or two ago, our kitty decided it was more fun to catch the mice, bring them in the house while still alive, and let them go. Then the mice(s) try to hide in various corners while the cat stalks them. I usually find them dead under the dishwasher or another cabinet or the cat finally kills them and leaves them out in the middle of the kitchen floor.

Last night, I noticed the cat was in hunting mode and found a huge mouse (or small rat) in the dishwasher (with the dishes). While trying to find a suitable container to trap the mouse, it escaped down the hallway and into one of the bathrooms where it is now trapped in a cabinet until it starves to death or chews its way out. I tried to get it last night using an old fashioned rat trap, but it was able to get the bait (peanut butter) and trigger the trap without getting caught (twice). This is not a stupid rodent.

Topics for Discussion:

1. Best way to remove mouse (rat) from cabinet without gruesome mess or getting bit. Poison free methods preferred because of the dogs and cat.

2. How to communicate to cat that although we appreciate her efforts to keep the property mouse free, we would prefer that she hunt and kill the mice outside where they belong. Is it possible to train a cat or am I doomed to be a part time mice exterminator?

2. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The best way, in my opinion to get rid of them is with some peanut butter in a spring trap you can buy in the grocery store. Poisons take a while and you never know where the may die. The smell will go away, but is not pleasant.

Your kitty is having fun. You won't be able to explain to her otherwise. Just check her carefully when she comes in that she comes in alone!

3. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

That was what I tried last night when the mouse was trapped in our bathroom. I bought an old fashioned spring trap from the grocery store and baited it with peanut butter. The mouse managed to get the bait and spring the trap twice without injury.

The mouse is now trapped in a cabinet under the sink. The compartment is not the one with the plumbing, so it does not have an escape route unless it gnaws though the wood.

I'm all for the cat having a good time, I would just prefer it if she could do it outside. :rant:

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Peanut butter doesn't work. They love it but they can eat most of it without triggering the trap.

Use pepperoni. Let it sit out a day to get a little leathery, then firmly attach it to the trigger of the snap trap (those cheap wooden ones) so that when it is pulled it will set it off. This has never failed me.

If you want to humanely catch it live, get a very large bowl and grease the inside with Crisco. Then put a ruler "bridge" across to the bowl balanced so that when the mouse goes to the end of the "plank" over the bowl, the weight will tip him into the bowl where it's so greasy and slick he can't climb out. Bait the end of the ruler over the bowl with peanut butter.

Don't know how to train the serial killer to play with his prey outside and only present you with the bodies after the kill. Cats are food motivated and can be trained but it takes a long, long time.

BTW check out doggyspace.com and sign Digby and Dingo up. Ramses wants friends.

5. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like this idea. I don't want to kill it, but GF thinks that if I catch and release it, it will just end up back in the house again (she is probably right).

We do have a nature preserve nearby, so I could release it a couple of miles from the house.

I will check this out when I have some time to post pics.

6. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Keep trying the trap! Sometime is works; sometimes not. Do you have the right size? Is it a mouse or rat? Mice can get through unbelievably small spaces.

My kitty almost brought in a live chipmunk once!

7. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It seems you may have conditioned your cat for this behavior by praising it for the kill. Could be wrong, but it seems to be logical. Maybe your behavior in how you handle the hunt could dissuade the cat from continuing the kill indoors. The best way I've heard to abruptly stop a bad behavior of an animal is to make a very loud unexpected noise, such as clanking pots together. In this way, you're not yelling at your animal or screaming at your animal while saying their name....which is bad and is usually counter productive. The loud noise usually stops them from continuing a behavior and I've found it to be very effective when managing my cat's behavioral problems. Right now I'm lucky to have no neurosis in my household excepting for me. So maybe before looking for a solution to the problem, you should try to recondition your animal to not present you with a problem by bringing the prey inside. Then maybe you can start to praise your cat while you and your cat are outside to recondition her/him to continue the hunt outside.

I'm not an advocate of outdoor cats unless they are in a closed pen and not let out during the day. Otherwise, they kill millions of migratory birds each year (hummers too). That's just a side thought. Don't think me rude for brining it up. If this matters to you as well, I have found it effective to let my cats out only at night in a fenced in pen. There have been no kills since inception of this.

Lastly, they do have humane traps in which you can catch rodents to release in a natural environ away from residences. They do have their place in the food chain and would be most welcome there. Which brings me to my last point that one should never use poisons to rid themselves of rodents since if they are able to get outside, they'll serve as a poisonous meal for a predatory species like hawk or owls. Poisons and wildlife aren't a good mix.

8. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm actually not sure. Its either a big field mouse or a small rat. I would estimate the body about 5 inches long and the tail about 9 or 10 inches.

9. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you want to live trap the little sweetie, I've caught them with a coffee can. Tape the lid so it swings in and out. Put peanut butter on the inside of the can lid. Tape across lid on the outside midway so it swings in, but will hit the tape if it tries to come out.

Here in NY it is illegal to transport such critters so do not tell anyone what you are doing.

10. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You've got a RAT! If it was a mouse trap, it won't be strong enough.

Also you need to put the trap with the bait at the wall as they mainly go along the wall.

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cripes! Sounds like a rat to me. I don't think mice get that big.

12. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If I get the opportunity, I will try this, but one of the problems is that the cat manages to get the mouse in without either one of us seeing her do it. So it will be difficult to catch her in the act of bringing it in the house. If I ever see her approaching the door with a mouse I will do my best to scare the crap out of her.

We initially intended this cat to be indoor only, but quickly learned that she did not like being kept indoors. Its a long story, but she had some other undesirable habits (like marking every rug in the house) that went away after she had access to outside. We have a pet door that allows our dogs and cat to travel in and out. I've never seen any evidence that she is getting any birds; she is not a good climber because the previous owners had her front paws declawed. I've never seen her in any of the trees, but she is able to get over the fence when she wants to.

I think that I may try Godiva's greased bowl idea. I don't like the poison idea either.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree. That's a rat. Too big for the bowl trick unless you have a really, REALLY big bowl.

Get a rat trap from Home Depot and pick up some pepperoni. Don't tell GF. Or tell her it's a rat and not a mouse; maybe she'll be less squimish.

BTW I had a pet rat. A hooded rat, bred for domestication. She was a great pet. But what you have isn't a pet.

14. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its the largest one she has brought in so far, although we were impressed by the size of one she left on the kitchen floor a couple of years ago. ;)

15. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've rescued a couple of mice from my one cat. Not all mice have been this lucky. The ones he's caught when I'm not around have divulged a very odd fetish. One in which he find pleasure in eating just their heads and leaving the body remains for me. Twisted.

16. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have the same problem- the main mouser cat will drop at the door, but the smaller sister cat loves to play and brings them in... last one got lost in my office.....not fun...but several days later I found a dead one - by the bed.. so I am assuming it was the same one--- ha ha...

We did have baby possums coming up the kitchen drain and getting into the house - some plumber had fixed the drain years ago and left it open...
    It is frightening when coming into the kitchen or bedroom and seeing a possum-- did NOT make my day.... broomed them out and when closing up the pipes, used steel wool as batting to discourge them...

17. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's typical serial killer kitty behavior. They like to play with their prey for a while before the kill. We once had a live bird in the house after not checking kitties mouth before she came in for the night.

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My favorite Kliban cat mug:

"Love to eat them mousies,
    Mousies what I love to eat,
    Bite they little heads off,
    Nibble on they tiny feet."

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it sounds like conditioned behavior to me! you praised her, she wanted to please more, outside catches started to come indoors.

as i have yet to have a cat who wants to please its owners, i'm at a total loss for what to tell you. :p

20. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Those suckers are scary when full grown. Every once in a while we will get them sitting on the fence. Once, the cat saw one and started over to the fence to investigate and I frantically called her back. Our cat only weighs 5.5 pounds; I imagine an adult possum weighs at least twice that much. :eek: