1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cataclean and EGR Clog Codes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by C-in-DC, Feb 21, 2023.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've seen no indication that was what the manifold revision was even intended to do.

I think the best information we got here was that the way they changed the shape of the EGR passages was to make it less likely that the engine gets a snort of condensed water at startup out of those passages, when the weather conditions tend that way.

That was kind of an unrelated problem, but one that a lot of new owners of the first Gen 3s were discussing here as soon as their first year of ownership. It wasn't something like EGR clogging or head gasket issues that started appearing on the radar after some time and miles had passed.

Classic. They gave you the version of Techstream installed on their laptop.

It would be more interesting to know the calibration ID of the ECM firmware they flashed into your car.

Techstream will show that on the health check page. There might be other scan tools that can show it too.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Toyota Service said “there is no calibration ID.” I love the dealerships.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What a surprise they're in for if they ever look at a Techstream health check screen.

4. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The surprise being the gen 4 motor?

I changed the two black gaskets on the egr again yesterday and the screws wouldn’t tighten at the sub assembly pipe to EGR. Might be thr source of the code

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The surprise being that there is a 'Calibration' column, with ID numbers in it.

6. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Spoke to a service advisor in person since I couldn’t get the service manager on the phone. When I explained that I wanted the calibration id to determine if it was a parts or ecu issue he flat out told me he had no idea what I was talking about.

any literature on the subject would be appreciated. I know @Mendel Leisk quoted the manual procedure in another thread. I think also might’ve found the TSB in a 2015. Planning on taking blaring outs of both.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is getting surreal.

If the dealer takes their laptop, which they have, and they plug it into your car, and they click the ever-lovin' Health Check button in Techstream, which they have, the screen that comes back staring them in the face looks like this:

[​IMG]

(The example, of course, came from somebody's thread where the car has a bunch of trouble codes. Never mind those.)

If they then look in the column that says Calibration at the top, in the row that says Engine and ECT at the left, in this example screenshot the calibration ID is 34712100. Right?

Now, according to T-SB-0027-16, which was the one about the newer EGR valve, if they installed the firmware update mentioned in that TSB for a 2010 Prius, it will now have the calibration ID 34715700.

If it has a lower calibration ID, they didn't install that firmware update.

If it has a higher calibration ID, somebody somewhere installed a newer firmware update than the one in that 2016 TSB, and newer probably contains whatever updated stuff they cared about.

8. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    so today, I was driving with the dongle inserted and all of sudden the dashboard lights up with a bunch of different warning lights, all kinds of codes came up. Some of them were things that had already been repaired. When I pull over I clear the codes and the hybrid warning came up. I turned the car off and back on …then everything cleared. Sign of a bad ecu ? Can the ecu get a virus?

Planning on changing the exhaust manifold gasket and exhaust to cat gasket(the guy that welded the cat said it wasn’t necessary so he didn’t install it). bet I got exhaust leaking at one of those connections. You can smell fumes in the cabin

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I might not have all the details of your situation fresh in my mind. It's pretty much always better to include the codes in a post than just to say "all kinds of codes". It's ok to add whatever thoughts you have about which ones were already repaired or whatever, but without the codes themselves, it's hard for anyone to offer a second opinion.

It would be awfully hard for most ECUs to get a virus (it would pretty much have to have been put there by somebody using Techstream or another programming tool), and in general it's awfully rare for ECUs to go bad at all. Nearly every time somebody wants to conclude an ECU is bad, it's going to be something else.

If there are trouble codes, most of the time they mean what they tell you. But often people overestimate what a code is telling (for example, seeing some part's name in the code's fortune cookie, and thinking the code only means "replace this part", and then thinking "the code can't be right 'cause I replaced that already"). But a code only tells you that the conditions shown in its "detection condition" box in the repair manual were observed. A human needs to think out how many ways those conditions might have been produced.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    May just been me, but a constantly attached OBD plug (for ScanGauge II) on my ‘10, was the apparent cause of a plethora of lights (mostly brake/traction related), Check Hybrid System warning, and work-to-rule brakes. Stopped using the SG after the third such event, no further problems.

11. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    This is actually the second time it’s happened. I read another dudes prius because I was considering buying it. His had a bunch of codes mainly related to the bcm. After leaving I put the dongle back in my car and the dashboard lit up in the same way. It cleared after turning it off and on.

that guy mentioned he’s a priuschat member and uses tech stream. Figured it’d be best not to make the purchase because there might be some kind of issue with his car’s ecu. Now that mines done this twice wondering if it’s more like a virus.

12. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I only keep it plugged in when I check the egr vvt monitor after I’ve thrown another part at the car. Having read your comment I plan on keeping it unplugged at all times.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can't absolutely rule out a virus, but that'd be like extraterrestrials for a flying object. I'd ordinarily just buckle down and do the troubleshooting for a humdrum terrestrial cause first. If that truly can't be found, there's always the green men.

14. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Service advisor says their version doesn't have any calibration ids. Then he tells me he can plug my car up to techstream again for a fee to see what version I have.

I guess I gotta get tech stream or pay thieves to rob me more.

#194 C-in-DC, Apr 10, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  15. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Service manager this morning called to admit that the EGR calibration ID was not provided because the work was never done by the technician. He said I can bring my car in to get the firmware update flashed in the ECU at my earliest convenience. It’s kind of hard to trust that they’ll do it right this time. I think the whole sole proprietorship of Techstream has sold me on never buying a Toyota again. More so than gen 3 issues

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As far as I can figure, the way Toyota makes Techstream available (and also the service literature on TIS) is designed to fit the Massachusetts Right-to-Repair law to the letter, work-to-rule, not a whit more or less. The Massachusetts law being the one the car lobby preemptively agreed to accept everywhere, lest some other state pass a better one.

It makes me kind of wonder how much greener the pastures will be with another manufacturer. From what I hear, they're not very green with Tesla, for example.

There's a thread where mr_guy_mann reviews a bunch of non-Techstream alternatives that provide a lot, sometimes even most, of what you can do with Techstream. His testing is with Gen 2, but the products that review well there are probably not bad to try on Gen 3 either. I'm going to assume some of those can also show you calibration IDs, but maybe @mr_guy_mann has more information on that.

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

17. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems to be that the service manager finally got to the problem, the machanic didn't
    do his or her job, and lied about it.
    So now he's trying to make it right. I think you should give him another chance to make it right
    for you.

18. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The firmware update was flashed in. P0401 came back.drivability is better at high speed though so eh. Three more gasket changes then I might go back to replace the intake manifold and add an oil catch can. The lack of a can basically allowed the original map sensor to get gunked up.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think I've seen any sign that gunk on the MAP sensor prevents it from telling you what the MAP is.

20. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Changed:
    1. Egr valve and gasket.
    2. EGr cooler and gasket to the valve.
    3. Egr valve to sub assembly pipe gasket.
    4. Sub assembly pipe to air in take gasket.
    5. Map sensor.
    6. throttle body gasket.
    7. Air in take gasket.
    8. PCV valve.

Parts left to throw:
    1. Egr cooler to exhaust in take gasket.
    2. Exhaust manifold gasket.
    3. Exhaust manifold to cat gasket.
    4. Exhaust manifold.
    5. Air intake manifold.
    6. Egr valve.
    7. Egr harness connection.
    8. Temp sensor and harness connection.
    9. maf sensor