1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cataclean and EGR Clog Codes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by C-in-DC, Feb 21, 2023.

1. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Um, what photo I posted do you mean? The one I reposted here, that came from Mendel's post here, that presumably came from a conversation with RightOnTime?

That was this one:

[​IMG]

It is labeled "Before picture" and it shows the wires in order green, black, purple on one row and red, black, yellow on the other. That matches the pin numbers shown in the wiring diagram, so I agree it really is "before" any swap:

D10.png

Note for anyone just tuning in: the above picture came from an old wrong idea about swapping wires. Don't fall for it. Don't swap them. Keep them matching the "before" picture and matching the wiring diagram.

Can you be specific about the differences you are seeing between them? I'm afraid I'm stuck seeing just the similarities. You seem to have the same shape and same color black plastic six-position connector, with the same colors of wire. Your photos show the connector with the locking tab side toward the camera, where that side is away from the camera in the photo above. Otherwise, I'm not seeing the way one isn't anything like the other.

All three of your photos, though, seem to show the red and purple swapped, don't they? You seem to have the order green, black, red, then purple, black, yellow. That's the swapped order: no good.

But anyway, you said something in #97 about not being able to get the terminals to sit properly. That's why I asked if you were sure of the operation of both the primary and the secondary terminal retention features. I assume you had to grok both of them to get the terminals out for the swap in the first place. But I was trying to help get to the bottom of why they're not seating properly for you now.

But of course they should also be in the right order....

#102 ChapmanF, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  3. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The curse of the @sanddog52 error lives on! I pulled into a public parking garage and swapped the wires, cleared the codes! Praying I don’t get any more codes till I get home.

I hear my catalytic converter rattling, that’s the next task. Thank You @ChapmanF

4. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    P0401 and p0420 pending.

5. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    This is why I hear rattling. The shield is damaged and I guess a part of it fell off?

I’m the second owner of this Prius. It was a fleet vehicle in New York. It appears the catalytic converter is also New York carb compliant. Was just about to install the magnaflow federal compliant cat. It Looks like the highly expensive one is required instead. Is it just a difference between magnaflow and Toyota original cat measurements?

Really can’t run the risk of cutting without measuring. If the cat is ordered from the dealer it’s backordered until the end of time but at least I can point the finger at them if it’s the wrong one since it’ll be ordered with the vin number.

how long can I drive on this bad cat without destroying engine? I understand it to be like a clogged mask through which someone is trying to exhale. Eventually something upstream will overheat? Just the cat? Can the car be overheating now without a warning light? I know it’s just emissions but ignoring fault codes is a bad idea.

Attached Files:

#105 C-in-DC, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  6. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The rattle can be the cat, mine did that as it was crumbling apart.

So you got the Magnaflow cat?
    Where is your car registered, Washington or New York?

Hope you got the right cat for your state.

The difference between the Magnaflow and OEM is performance only, where the Magnaflow is better than OEM.

7. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    the shield on the side has two bolts to the cat. One of the bolts is rusted off so it’s hanging by one only and rattling against the cat. I might jack the car up again and do a video but I don’t particularly want to be under it with the engine on. “DIYer killed by Prius,” would be a crappy headline.

my car is registered in VA, not NY. But since it came from New York in 2012 after carb compliance was adopted by that state in 2009, maybe it has a carb compliant replacement and not an oem? I don’t see any markings on it. Are the cats marked on the top?

Magnaflow confirmed the fitment but when I measure the new federal cat version it’s smaller than the one on the car, particularly at each cat location, by 2 inches. The honeycomb on the inside is also smaller. If I cut the exhaust and it doesn’t fit I’m obviously screwed. Magnaflow doesn’t have a technical sheet diagram for fitment to confirm I received the right model replacement cat. Quite a conundrum.

well at least the evap system codes never came back. Pothead code p0420 stinks.

8. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Proof is in the pudding. Heh now what?

Attached Files:

9. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most likely the one on your car is OEM.
    I didnt look into it but you said you were in contact with Magnaflow and they confirmed for your make/model/Family
    That the one you bought is good right?

If that is the case and all is good, then you need to take it into a shop and let them do it, it is direct fit and no welding required but my shop welded it anyway and I have never replaced a cat on my own, so I left it to a shop who had no problem doing it.

I wouldnt want to mess the cut up and be too short.

10. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I checked the info on EVCI under the hood. It’s carb compliant. Since it’s registered in VA now and not D.C. or NY I can use the federal one.

I measured the existing one again and it looks like it’ll fit. I’m not worried about cutting it short now but the instructions say the magnaflow slides over the oem and I just don’t see that happening unless I bend the pipe out and then strap clamp it. Ie magnaflow fails to mention you need more tools.

11. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thats exactly what my installer did.
    He opened them wider to slide it over the rest and then pinched it closed, then he welded it all together.

12. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Do you know what he used to open them up?

13. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did not see the actual tool he used.
    Im sure a monkey pipe wrench would do.

14. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Just read threads on cat protectors on the market. No way in hell is that cat being replaced without a shield or something going on it.

wish there was a way to electrify the cat protector.

mikey_t likes this.
  15. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Go to my profile info and click the cat shield link to save some cash on the Miller Cat shield, use code "azusa"

16. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks. Did you use rivets or pay for custom screws? Did you install an alarm?

17. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the V2 so it comes with security bolts and key.

18. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes I also have the Cateye alarm system which is a motion sensor alarm so no tilt or vibration but it works!!

mikey_t likes this.
  19. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm pretty sure bank 1 on the cat was destroyed after the engine swap which is disconcerting considering it's not apparent what did it. Could Cataclean have done this? It didn't have a huge hole melted in it when I had the engine out. Bank 1 is gooooone. Bank 2 still looks brand new inside.

P0420 cleared with the new magnaflow cat. P0401 came back. Could p0401 do this?

Attached Files:

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you see things like "bank 1 sensor 1" in OBD-II code descriptions, the 'bank' tells you which bank of engine cylinders. Our inline-four engine has only one bank. A V6 or V8 engine, for example, has two banks. (In that case, bank 1 is the one whose first cylinder is nearer the front of the engine.)

Then the 'sensor 1' or 'sensor 2' tells you which sensor, in order along the exhaust starting from the engine.

So because we have only one engine bank, we have only "bank 1 sensor 1", meaning the A/F sensor, and "bank 1 sensor 2", meaning the O₂ sensor that comes after the first cat.

The cats are not known as 'bank' anything. They're just the first one and the second one.

I don't think a P0401 would mess up a cat like that. I thought the usual cause of cat melting like that would be prolonged misfiring (for any of the myriad reasons misfires can happen). The ECM tries to estimate how hot the cat will get because of the unburned fuel being sent down after misfires. If the estimate comes up "really hot", the ECM is supposed to flash the check-engine light, instead of just turning it on.