1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalyst heralded as solar-power breakthrough

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Essayons, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Essayons

Essayons Essayons

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    From Nature News:

Catalyst heralded as solar-power breakthrough : Nature News

Seems as though someone has figured out how to use a catalyst to enhance electrolysis.

"Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge have discovered a simple, inexpensive system that can help to split water to produce oxygen and hydrogen gas. The process could, they suggest, be powered by solar photovoltaic cells."

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting work. Remember that this process does not create or release any energy, but is a net consumer of energy. In other words, what you get out will be less than what you put in. Look at this as yet another form of energy storage. It still has all of the advantages and problems associated with hydrogen as a fuel.

The real benefit is that this process appears to be more efficient than ordinary electrolysis. In recent years there have been other advances in efficiently splitting water into its components, so this isn't the only lab posting gains in this area.

Tom

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If this plays out, should we expect the price of cobalt, platinum etc. to rise? Is a platinum war on the horizon?

4. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Zen, Platinum doesn't appear to be the issue as the article says almost anything can be used as the electrode.

The question is though, why doe the article keep referring to "photosynthesis"???? Or is there something I'm missing. I mean the author doesn't appear to be an idiot.

Author : Nature News

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

You can expect the price of platinum to continue to rise, for other reasons.

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DA, it think it has to do with the fact that Chlorophyll uses Cobalt and Phosphorous. I think it was more of an inspiration than anything else.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh well. website tells me i need a sub...