1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic converter after replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nils, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Nils

Nils New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello
    I had to get my Prius's catalytic converter replaced after thieves sawed off the original and also ripped out the lambda sensor.

After replacement, the engine light comes on, and the mechanic with his diagnostic tool showed me a p0420 coff with some message about oxygen level bank 1.

I have been back to the mechanic and he has tried to check all the parts he's replaced but he can't get to the bottom of why this error is showing.

Anyone know what the real issue might be?
    Thanks

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have any experience with this one but if you do a google search for "P0420 priuschat" you'll find lots of links to read... The more of it you read the the easier it will be to solve. Make sure to read enough so a random wrong commenter that never got corrected doesn't throw you off.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you buy an aftermarket catalytic? Is the sensor made by denso?

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did your mechanic erased the stored DTCs after the installation? He's supposed to do that before handing over the car to you.

Sometimes, if it's an aftermarket one, you need some drive cycles completed, before the ECU would realised what's being done.