1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Converter bad on 2004 Prius with 99,400 miles!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lpleiss, Aug 4, 2010.

1. lpleiss

lpleiss New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First let me thank the members of this forum for talking me into the 7yr/100k mile extended warranty 6 years ago when I bought the car. It is paying for itself today! I love you guys!:rockon:

The Check engine light has been going on and off for a month. Finally got it to the dealership while the light was on and they say the catalytic converter is bad. 600 more miles of driving and I would have been out of luck!

I find it interesting that so many people are saying the Fuel Induction service could burn out the cat. They did that service at 92K miles. I suppose since I'm not paying for the replacement it doesn't really matter, but just curious if that could have caused it.

Thanks again!
    Luta

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you sure exhaust components are covered under Ext warranty? usually they aren't.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the federal or state emissions warranty that is covering the catalytic converter.

3. lpleiss

lpleiss New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The service manager called the warranty company and they approved the cost. They ordered the part today. I'm not gonna question it!

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Call the warranty company? I thought Toyota Extra Care policies allow the service department to approve the claim on-site without needing to call for authorization. Who is your extended warranty provider?

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Woo hoo! Now *five* people have come out ahead on their extended warranties! You 28,000 others will just have to be patient :_>