1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Converter stolen and replaced, now have A/C issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Banshee, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Banshee

Banshee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi all, a hopefully quick question.

My catalytic converter was stolen last October and was replaced, but I noticed a couple weeks later that when I tried to use my A/C, it's only blowing hot air. It was working just fine before then.

I'm wondering if the A/C could have been damaged when the converter was stolen? Or did the A/C just decide to fail at the same time?

Thanks!

mr_guy_mann likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you install an Oem original Toyota catalytic converter? The AC should not have anything to do with the Catalytic converter.

What's the car's history?

SFO likes this.
  3. JahT

JahT Member

I assume you mean that the AC is not getting cold anymore? Did you notice it getting less and less cold? Or do you notice it being colder on the passenger side than on the driver side? Or was it a sudden change and doesn't blow "coolish" at all?

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unless the thieves decided to put the jack under the compressor or the condenser (and damaged one of those), I think it unlikely that the 2 are related.

I would "forget" that the cat was stolen and just diagnose the A/C by itself.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope it’s just age.

You have a leak it’s probably not been very cold for awhile. Very bad for compressor not fully charged. Compressor is crazy expensive.

It may be leak in evap coil under the dash. Very common. Pre Covid mine failed $1100.

Take it to Car AC shop. They’ll charge it up with dye and find the leak.
    Don’t take it to the dealer.

To any lurkers the PRIUS G2 has a fantastic AC system it should be really cold on high. If not you have a very slow leak and that should be addressed
    Before it kills the compressor.